Library File Compares?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

chrisjj

Re: Library File Compares?

Post by chrisjj »

Bex wrote:Other apps -> 6,790 tracks
minus
MM generated playlist -> 6,789 tracks (imported into the other apps)
equals
The missing tracks in the other apps
I doubt any app can subtract playlists. Certainly Mp3tag cannot.

The nearest I can think of would be to load the MM list, all a marker tag to all, load the full list, see which was unmarked.
Chris
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

Drat. If only MM would be so kind as to actually tell us why these files are being skipped. You'd think that would be important info.

So I tried the export thing. Total mess so far. Each app sorts a bit differently and it's not easy to change. Some put groups like, "The 5th Dimension" under 5 (at the beginning) and others put it under T.

That was a VERY basic example of one sorting issue. I'm having to bounce all over the place. In the end, the likelihood of making a mistake on nearly 7,000 songs is pretty high and I'll end up with fairly useless results.

CATraxx has some nice features that maybe MM has that I'm not familiar with where it can print a report with each band and the number of songs from them. It can do it by album and then total songs. I could then blow out the majors pretty quick if I could do that with MM and another app.

Again, MM could solve all this by just telling us what the malfunction is.... Why would a program barf on a file and then not tell the owner about the issue???
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> If only MM would be so kind as to actually tell us why these files are being skipped. You'd think that would be important info.

It is important info :)

> Each app sorts a bit differently and it's not easy to change. ... I'm having to bounce all over the place.
> In the end, the likelihood of making a mistake on nearly 7,000 songs is pretty high and I'll end up with fairly useless results.

Understood. First trick is to use filepath order - MM "Path". Then Mp3tag has very flexible Export which can match the MM format. Do you use Mp3tag?

> Why would a program barf on a file and then not tell the owner about the issue???

Deficiencies in design or implemetation :) e.g.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... an#p106822
3 'Add/Rescan Tracks to the Library' used on imported playlists referencing tracks that were deleted from the library since the import fails to restore the tracks to the playlists.
Chris
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Here's the simplest solution I've found:

1 In MM Now Playing, select all and Send To... Export as .m3u playlist , C:\New Playlist.m3u
2 In a text editor, sort the lines into order
3 In Mp3tag, load all tracks and CTRL-P to save playlist to C:\mp3tag.m3u (must be SAME drive as #1)
4 In a text editor, sort these lines into order - to match #2
5 Compare with e.g. Beyond Compare's Text Compare
Chris
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

I've never used MP3Tag since I don't use MP3's.

I'll grab it and give the approach a shot.

Can you provide a link to Beyond Compare? I'm getting all sorts of erroneous hits.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> I've never used MP3Tag since I don't use MP3's.

Despite the name, Mp3tag handles all major audio formats (except WAV).

> Can you provide a link to Beyond Compare?

www.scootersoftware.com . Free trial, but worht every penny of the registration cost. And excellent investigative tool.
Chris
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

First thing I noticed with MP3Tag--not that it was a big surprise--is that it found 6,790 songs.....

Second problem. The MP3Tag file is 794KB while the MM one is 806KB, 12KB different, or, if my math is right, 12,288 characters different. Oh boy....

I'll need to do some work on the output files. Beyond Compare is so red on the first pass that it's unusable.

So far I'm spending minutes on each page of the playlist files. This too might take months. I may just use these two files to now brute force it down. Keep whittling away until I get to the one song.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Agrajag, if you don't mind perhaps you could zip those two files up and post them here. I would be willing to try my hand at quickly going through them to find the missing file. Four eyes are better than Two? Haha. If you want help, I'm offering, though I'll understand if you don't want to put your business out there like that (though you could always PM me the information too) Up to you.
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

No problem but I THINK I'm 98% of the way to there. I have no problem sharing my song list. Heck, it's on my blog!

Anyway, here's what I did:

I went into MM and brought up the library.

I then sorted it by Filename.

I then went into MP3Tag. The annoying part about MP3Tag is that it brings up a VERY similar list but you can't export the list you see exactly as you see it. When you export is loses its sorting.

I sorted it by Filename.

So, I then started at the beginning and went band-by-band.

Once I was certain that sorting was the same between them I started going in huge jumps. 500 at a time. The songs landed on the same start and finish each time. I'd remove the songs from the MP3Tags list just in case as I keep getting phone calls and such.

I then got to the section on songs starting with "The" and found the MP3Tag list had ONE MORE SONG in it. So now I'm culling the relatively short list of "The" songs to get it to the song.

FOUND IT!

What a mess. It's "The Jeff Healy Band - Angel Eyes.flac" I have two copies and MM is only showing one copy. On the PLUS side, the second copy is actually an old copy from before I renamed an album from having a dash in it to a semicolon so it's the only song in that album and I can just delete it, meaning I SHOULD have 6,789.

So now the question is, before I delete it, why isn't MM seeing it????

Update: The single file above is only 24K in size. It must be little more than a header. Seems MM was right in passing on it but I should still be told why.

Another slight update. I checked my notes (don't ask) and I think I know why THIS song was duplicated. Still doesn't explain the "why" questions. This is the only song of all my CD's that didn't rip correctly. The song, as it sits on the hard drive, is a mess. The entire latter third is a skippy disaster. So now I have to figure out how to get this one track corrected. Gee, anyone have the Time Life Collection Sounds of the Eighties - 1989 CD sitting around? heheheheh
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> I went into MM and brought up the library.
> I then sorted it by Filename.

Note that filename is not necessarily unique - Path is. But unfortuantely MM sort of both is not natural order, like Mp3tag's.

> The annoying part about MP3Tag is that it brings up a VERY similar list but you can't export
> the list you see exactly as you see it.

You can - use $loop(%dummy%).

> So now the question is, before I delete it, why isn't MM seeing it????

Does MM File | Open succeed?

> Update: The single file above is only 24K in size. It must be little more than a header. Seems MM was right in passing on it

"little more than a header" is not grounds for MM missing it... unless you have '[x] Ignore Tracks shorter than'.

> This is the only song of all my CD's that didn't rip correctly. The song, as it sits on the hard drive, is a mess. The entire latter third is a skippy disaster.

Also not grounds for MM missing it.
Chris
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

> Ticketed support's reply is that MM will not load corrupted FLAC files

Did Support confirm the failure to alert?

> I did test with that. This file passed

I would be interested to hear Support's next explanation.