drag and drop of songs into another player

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

beg

drag and drop of songs into another player

Post by beg »

Dear help forum,

for stability reasons I would like to use another player for actually playing the songs/playlist. So I can search, tag, work and prelisten with media monkey while the external player is save for possible shutdowns of media monkey which sadly occures quite often if used heavily. (and no - I dont want to use a second instance of MM, since this is completely unstable)

Because of flexibility, stability and quality my prefered player would be foobar2000. I can configure MM to send the songs to foobar, but then I can't prelisten in MM. And it is not possible to drag and drop songs from MM into the external player which is strange since I can drag and drop songs on the desktop e.g. And I can drag and drop from the desktop into foobar. But directly is not working..

Any ideas how to do this?

thx,
Bernhard
Cruiser

Re: drag and drop of songs into another player

Post by Cruiser »

I do not know about dropping songs in another player, but I see that your MM is unstable.
Can this be caused by the fact that you may be using Deutsch as the native language in MM?
My experience was that when I dropped my native language, (Not German) and went for English, the MM became much more stable.
beg

Post by beg »

thank you very much for the hint, I will try that. (is my English that bad, that you noticed my mother tongue is German.. :( )
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Are you sure this issue isn't with Foobar? I see that it doesn't want to accept tracks dragged from MediaMonkey, however I find that other players/programs will (Windows Media Player, VLC, MP3Tag, Windows Live Messenger)

However, something that may be of help is the External Tools script. It's quite old but still works. It will allow you to send tracks to Foobar (via entries in the right click menu without interrupting the ability to play them in MM. You will need to look into the Command Line parameters of Foobar though. "/add %p" will add the track to the current playlist in Foobar. I forgot what will clear the playlist and play the track immediately... "/play %p" perhaps?

As for MM being unstable and closing out... I haven't experienced this. Though I use the English language... however, I wouldn't think the translated versions would function too differently. If you can provide more details, the developers may be able to look into the issue.
beg

Post by beg »

could be foobar. but foobar exepts dragndrop from everywhere else, but mm. on the other hand I can dragndrop into winamp.

@language stability issue:
thought the same - that language should not make a difference. But on the other side quite often it is suggested to deactivate fesatures, plugins, or settings which you would not connect with the problem you are experiencing. So I will try the English version and report back with stability issues when I experience them.

Until now my stability problems appeared when working heavily on my music, meaning working massively on tagging information while jumping/listening fast through lot's of music while changing tagging all the time and creating playlists. What was not working at all was using two instances of MM in order to create playlists. I wanted to search and listen songs in one instance while creating and working on playlists on the other. This is/was causing a crash quite fast.

And btw. as far as drag and drop is concerned - why is this not working within two MM instances?! I can not drag and drop a song from one MM instance to the playlist of another?!

BUT: I have to say that I love MM. No other program gave me that flexibility to work with a LARGE music collection in a way like I do with MM! This is a hurray to the developing people to keep up the good work (and skip the bad one.. ;)
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

beg wrote:thank you very much for the hint, I will try that. (is my English that bad, that you noticed my mother tongue is German.. :( )
No, don't worry. I just saw that you wrote German in an earlier posting. :wink:
beg

Post by beg »

ok last error:

after opening a second instance of mm and changing two times between the two instances I get this error in the second instance of mm:

Access violation at address 008EE501 in module "MediaMonkey.exe". Read of address 000B0494.

It's possible to make an unclean shut down the second instance (taskmanager) while the first one is still playing and working properly.

Bernhard

I am working on an prof. HP Workstation and I do not have memory errors in any other cases than with mm - so it's not my RAM.
database is local
music is stored on networkfolder of my fileserver (a server 2003 system) BUT I got that error also on my laptop with local database and music - so this is also not due to the network storage..
donector

Post by donector »

try copying and pasting outside mm, that works