Missing files in network drive

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rocksoldier

Missing files in network drive

Post by rocksoldier »

I have the Netgear ReadyNAS Pro. I use MediaMonkey for my music file management and playback. I went into MediaMonkey to play some music recently and noticed that many of the songs were grayed out, meaning MM could not access them anymore. I checked the volume in ReadyNAS and some files are gone in the Music folder!

I know they were there at one time or else they would not be showing up in MM. I also checked the external drive I copied the files from and they are all there (so I had moved them over to the Pro). Now for the weird part, when I check the properties of the volume, the size is a little bigger than the size of the folder on the external drive I copied the data from. So, are the files still there but I can't see them? I access the volume with user rights of a user that has full read/write permissions. In some cases, a sub-folder is there with some files missing in the folder, but also whole folders are missing. I do a search on the volume for some of the files and don't find them.
I never go into the volume itself to move any files. I have never deleted any and nobody else has access to the drive. I recently added a few new folders and files to the Music root folder. I also added many files to the Pictures root (Media folder has Music and Pictures folders).
Because of the size of the volume, I think they are still there. Where could they be? Has this happened to anybody else? Is there a way to tell when a song was last accessed in MM?

I have two drives in the Pro and both seem to be running ok - no errors logs.
Lowlander

Re: Missing files in network drive

Post by Lowlander »

Any move of files by MediaMonkey would be reflected in the library as well as any delete. This doesn't mean that MediaMonkey couldn't have done it, but an other program or some hard drive/NAS issue might be causing the problems.
Verwolff

Post by Verwolff »

rocksoldier wrote:Has this happened to anybody else?
I loved Media Monkey when worked for me on my local USB drive. Since I moved all my music to NAS (Dlink DNS-313) I am experiencing so many strange behaviour. I wasn't sure what is responsible for it, but now it seems for me that MM.

Strange behaviour - it was few files deleted (exactly same like in rocksoldier's case) and what is most annoying; some files were hurt by cracks and strange noise in random place on music timeline of file.

I use Simple Backup Tool and now I am sure that after every access to my music library by MM many files have changed size. I have no clue why and trying to find any key to figure out which files and why they have changed size by MM. I started affraid to use MM. Really.

I am playing files from NAS via WLAN on b/g standard. Maybe it's to slow? Don't know.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try to create a debug log as this might show what actions MediaMonkey is performing on your files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
Verwolff

Post by Verwolff »

With help of MM support I found solution for my problems. It was checked option "save lyrics to file" in the MiniLyrics plugin. Now everything works fine. MM is still best music manager for me. :D
rocksoldier

Post by rocksoldier »

Thanks for your ideas. I will create a debug log. There is some other weird stuff going on. The other day, I was playing all Linkin Park, and two of the songs (out of 20) had properties for another Linkin Park song (it was not the properties for the two songs that were switched).