Search Bar Date

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

I support that all fields are available as an option for the search bar

You may select 1 option

View results

chrisjj

Search Bar Date

Post by chrisjj »

I wonder why MM Options prevents Date being included in Search Bar fields.

An error, perhaps?
Chris
Lowlander

Re: Search Bar Date

Post by Lowlander »

I assume that all numerical fields are excluded as you would get too many results each time a number is part of the search. For example if you'd search 2 all tracks from the two thousands and all tracks before that with 2 would be shown. Strangely the Any text field search in the basic search does include the Date field.

Although I don't need it I support that all searchable fields get included as option in the search bar.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Lowlander wrote:For example if you'd search 2 all tracks from the two thousands and all tracks before that with 2 would be shown.
I see no problem there.

Whereas as it stands, I can't Quick Search for 1936 to find the few tracks dated so.
Chris
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Mizery_Made

Re: Add Date (and other fields) to Search Bar [#6744]

Post by Mizery_Made »

Typing 1999 in the search bar brings up all files from the year 1999 here. So it looks like Year/Date is searched, but not listed in the search options. There's also "Year:xxxx" in the search box to search by year.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Mizery_Made wrote:Typing 1999 in the search bar brings up all files from the year 1999 here.
Here (build 1299) it brings up only files that have the year also in a non-Date fied e.g. Album title.

Even (FWIW) if I remove this non-standard addition to the .ini:

[MP3Tagging]
DisableFrames=TDRC
EnableFrames=TYER;TDAT
Chris
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

chrisjj wrote:
Mizery_Made wrote:Typing 1999 in the search bar brings up all files from the year 1999 here.
Here (build 1299) it brings up only files that have the year also in a non-Date fied e.g. Album title.

Even (FWIW) if I remove this non-standard addition to the .ini:

[MP3Tagging]
DisableFrames=TDRC
EnableFrames=TYER;TDAT
What would disabling or enabling writing to tags have to do with the database search?

In any case, searching "year: 2000" works to search year but just "2000" doesn't.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

nohitter151 wrote:What would disabling or enabling writing to tags have to do with the database search?[/qoute]Nothing... in perfect code.
nohitter151 wrote:In any case, searching "year: 2000" works to search year but just "2000" doesn't.
Any idea why it fails for you and yet works for Miz?
Chris
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

chrisjj wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:What would disabling or enabling writing to tags have to do with the database search?[/qoute]Nothing... in perfect code.
nohitter151 wrote:In any case, searching "year: 2000" works to search year but just "2000" doesn't.
Any idea why it fails for you and yet works for Miz?
Probably he's searching the file path which includes the date in it.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

nohitter151 wrote:Probably he's searching the file path which includes the date in it.
Yes, this is the case. It didn't occur to me when making my previous post that I had the year in the path of my files and that is why it was picking them up.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

OK, thanks Miz.
Chris
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I suggest that you move this to the wishlist section, as this is a request for new functionality to be added which does not currently exist.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
SenseMaker2010

Re: Search Bar - Date of storage

Post by SenseMaker2010 »

Hi Folks... :-)

about the aspect of "searching" using the Search bar: I have two MediaMonkey databases, both MM 3.2.0.1294 version on Microsoft OS, two mashines (Vista laptop, XP Pro Desktop) which have access to a central network (2 TB RAID HD) beside the local HDs ...

Mostly I am very happy about all the features inside MM (inclusive integrating Winamp plugins) with scrobbling to Last.FM, burning CDs from playlists or html documentation of selective playlists and links to Amazon.com, not to forget "listening" :lol: . Tks for all those programmers doing such a fantastic good job...

One bigger problem I have is using the search function ("search bar").

1.) If I want use the search bar in a new session, mostly the curser jumps away in the left side window (Library -> Location) or jumps from the "selected playlist" 1st to "location"... mostly the search works only after 1st failed attempt and starting the search again 2nd time selecting the location or playlist new... a little bit confusing...

2.) I have searched the forum and same the wiki, but have not found how to specificy the "search items". By mouse over the search bar there appear different search tips, but I'd need a more selective method. (Rec.: The automated clustering in "Library -> Year" isn't detailled enough.)

I store new files periodically, mostly two times per month for two different genres (in the upper named two different databases). After indexing in MM...

(a) 1st I'd like to know which new files I got since a specific (storage) date of the current month or last month...
(b) 2nd would like to search for all the files I stored from a specific date on. Its not enough to search for "year". Same not helpful "year of publishing" (as listed in the meta tags). More I'd need to know, what MM database got new from a specific date of storage on my hard disc. The reason is simple. I only want listen to the new tracks I got within different folders... and herefore create a specific playlist.

For the moment I must use the Windows Explorer to find the specific artists... so I have to jump out of MM... and I cannot create specific playlists...

Tks in advance.... :-)
-----
(P.S.: Does anybody know the reasons why the indexing in my speedy Vista Dell Laptop is much slower in the Network (300 MB WLAN, 100MB/10 cable Network) compared with XP Pro which runs on a much slower, 10 years old mashine ? - I already optimized what I found on the net as advices (keyword "Remote Differential Compression" - http://bit.ly/gtl1cf), but it does not help, nothing. The Dell laptop needs hours to index my database (at all round about 16,000 files with 190 GB size, 2,096 hours playtime) and very often hangs up MM so eve over night indexing is no guarantee, that next day I have to start new :-( .)