Scan does not pick up all tracks

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

chiph

Scan does not pick up all tracks

Post by chiph »

Hi All,
I installed MediaMonkey yesterday and ran a scan of my network drive containing my music tracks. I selected the top level folder for all the music tracks.
When the scan finished it only added 1135 tracks out of 20524 stored on my NAS.
When I view My Computer and look at my NAS under network I can see all the folders.
When I view Library I can see 1135 tracks.
When I view Location>Network>NAS>Qmultimedia>Music I can only see some of the folders that are actually present on the NAS and containing music tracks. Most of the folders are missing.
I have rescanned the MUSIC folder three times but I always have the same result - not all the folders seemed to be added to the LIbrary and I am missing more tracks that I have in the library.
I am using the configuration as it is installed by default.
Is there any limits on the folder depth or number of tracks?
Can anyone help me understand why my tracks are not getting scanned into my library?
Thanks,
Chip
Lowlander

Re: Scan does not pick up all tracks

Post by Lowlander »

There should be no limit.

Common problems are that not all file types were selected that music is stored in, files are set to hidden (MediaMonkey ignores hidden files), the Virtual CD or Previews folder were set to a folder containing music (MediaMonkey ignores these 2 locations) files have corruption, file format isn't supported or that the NAS hasn't been setup with proper rights.
chiph

Post by chiph »

Hi,
All my music tracks are in flac format.
I can see the tracks when I use Windows Explorer to view the folders.
I can not see the tracks in MediaMonkey when I look under My Computer > Network using the same folder tree.
I can play see and play the tracks using Foobar2000.

Recap - all actions performed on the same laptop.
All tracks are flac files.
I can not see the tracks in the missing folders in MediaMonkey.
I can see the missing tracks in Windows Explorer.
I can see and play the missing tracks in Foobar2000.

This makes me think the access on the NAS is OK since Windows Explorer and Foobar2000 can see the tracks.
Why does MediaMonkey not see the tracks?

Chip
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Could be an unsupported FLAC type that is the issue. Try opening one of the FLAC's that MediaMonkey doesn't see from Windows Explorer in MediaMonkey and see if it is able to play the track.
chiph

Post by chiph »

Lowlander wrote:Could be an unsupported FLAC type that is the issue. Try opening one of the FLAC's that MediaMonkey doesn't see from Windows Explorer in MediaMonkey and see if it is able to play the track.
I do not understand what you mean by:
"Try opening one of the FLAC's that MediaMonkey doesn't see from Windows Explorer in MediaMonkey ..."
Where is Windows Explorer in MediaMonkey?
Is this the left pane that show the folders?
I can not see the missing flac files in the left pane under the network folders.
Chip
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, Windows Explorer the program that comes with Windows, which you indicated has no problems seeing the FLAC files. Just right click and open with MediaMonkey.
chiph

Post by chiph »

Hi,
I understand.
I used Windows Explorer to navigate to one of the folders with tracks that did not get picked up by the MediaMonkey scan.
I selected the flac file and with a right click of my mouse selected Play in MediaMonkey. The track is playing now.
I can select additional tracks and add them to the Now Playing list and they also play.
Does this make any sense?
MediaMonkey can play the flac file that does not get picked up by the folder scan.
Chip
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If MediaMonkey is able to play the files I only know of the above stated reasons why the tracks wouldn't get added.

Sending a debug log with a sample (small file) track that doesn't get added to support might be your best option: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
chiph

Post by chiph »

Hello,
After more investigation of a point I overlooked in a previous post I have found what could be the reason.
The files that are not getting picked up by the scan have the Windows File Attribute HIDDEN set on, it is checked.
When I check the file properties in Windows Explorer I can see the check mark on the HIDDEN attribute and it is grayed out so it can not be changed.
I do not know why this attribute is set but it is.
The files were all either ripped using dBpoweramp or downloaded as flac files to my local disk. I then used FileZilla to transfer the files to my ReadyNAS NV+. The folder where these files reside only contains flac music tracks and album artwork jpgs.

Does anyone know how I can change the HIDDEN attribute on a large number of files (more than 20,000) on a ReadyNAS running Linux?

Is it possible to tell MediaMonkey to include HIDDEN files in the scan?

Thanks for any help or advice,
Chip
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No you can't tell MediaMonkey to include hidden files.

I would assume you can change the hidden properties through Windows as well. A Google search on how to reset this when it's greyed out should be able to find a solution.
taxi657

Post by taxi657 »

I have just had the same problem and fixed it. Basically you have to add the path to the mediamonkey library before you can sync to the iphone.
Hugorx

Post by Hugorx »

I have a similar issue.
I renamed a subdirectory from an artist in windows explorer (with less characters compared to original name, so it's not like the Max_Path rules are violated)
In that subdirectory are 86 maps for the different rips I have.
When returning to MM the directory was obviously not accessible anymore so I had to rescan it.
Only 306 files a 50 directories of the 930 files and 86 directories were now imported in MM.
I tried everything I could think of, optimizing database, restarting MM and the computer, import just one affected album, nothing works.
All files are still on the HDD, untouched as they were before.
So I tried this a second time and now I'm left with only 147 files and 27 directories...
Hugorx

Post by Hugorx »

Backup files did what they were made for. :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Notes discuss some reasons files aren't scanned: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... elp:#Notes

Do files that weren't scanned in, play in MediaMonkey when opened from File Explorer?

Make sure you check Entire Library > Location (enable under File > Manage Collections) to make sure the file really aren't in the Library.
Hugorx

Post by Hugorx »

Good tips, thanks a lot.

While importing, the "Type" attribute was changed from 'Classical Music' to 'Music' on many files but not all.
Weird random behaviour. I manually changed the "Type" field back to 'Classical' and all my songs were back in the right place.