Getting name of album a song originally appeared on

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

skj88

Getting name of album a song originally appeared on

Post by skj88 »

I have been using some of the auto tagging features built into MM and the MusicIPTagger from trixmoto. They work well for the most part but I would like the album name to reflect the name of the album the song originally appeared on. Not the greatest hits album for the band or a "Best of the 80s/Best of the 90s" type compilation CD. Is there a way to do this in MM or some other tagging application? I am thinking of something like, for a given artist name and song title, what is the the album name with the earliest release date/year?

Thanks

Steve
nohitter151

Re: Getting name of album a song originally appeared on

Post by nohitter151 »

Jaikoz has an option for that but it's a pay-only autotagger. I'm not aware of any automated tag process in MM that can do this, though the auto-tag from amazon can filter out greatest hits, compilation cds, soundtracks, etc.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
skj88

Post by skj88 »

Thanks for the response.

I'm going to try a multi-step approach:

1. Tag album name with MusicIPTagger

What it doesn't get correct, I'll try:

2. DiscogsAutoTag

Anything left, I'll get with the built in Amazon lookup. I just hate typing the name of the song for the amazon lookup as it only searches (at least for me) by Artist and album name. Since the album name is missing/wrong on the tracks in question I have to type in the song title to get the results I want. MusicIPTagger is right 50-60% of the time (not a greatest hits album/no compilation CDs) and Discogs requires some mouse clicks, but no typing at least.

Steve
skj88

Post by skj88 »

I've been trying Jaikoz and it works fairly well for what I want. It's auto-tagger is a little more accurate than MusicIPTagger. it has settings that can help it pick the album was originally on. If that fails, it has a manual tag function that lists the album and year the song appeared on and you can select the one you want from this list. Both the auto tag and manual tag functions will add album art if you want it to.

MM is better overall, but Jaikoz does perform this specific task better. so I am using both.

Steve