Sort Albums by Year?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

ChaosChoir

Sort Albums by Year?

Post by ChaosChoir »

I've been using MM for a few years now and IMHO I find it hands down to be the most robust music manager around. :D

With version 3, I was able to sort my collection (Album Artist with Details view) by Album Artist alphabetically and I used to click on Ctrl + the Year tab on my columns and have the albums listed by year of release. I'm still getting used to version 4 (I love the album art browser!) and I'm not sure how to achieve this with my current setup. This forum has assisted me in the past and it's great to have a community of like minded people helping one another.

Thanks in advance to all who reply to my post and my apologies if this has been previously posted and addressed.

Regards,

Patrick
Lowlander

Re: Sort Albums by Year?

Post by Lowlander »

It still works the exact same way. You might need to enable the Date column and then sort Album Artist > Date.
ChaosChoir

Post by ChaosChoir »

Thanks Lowlander! :D

I had the Artist tab selected and not Album Artist. Now when I click on the Date column everything is sorted alphabetically and by year of release.

You and Media Monkey ROCK!!!

Regards,

Patrick
MusicBringer

Re: Sort Albums by Year

Post by MusicBringer »

And when I expand the Album Artist Tree the albums are listed. In alpha order.
I want mine listed in chronological order by Year/Date.
How do I get MM4 to do this.
Thanks,
MediaMonkey user since 2006
nohitter151

Re: Sort Albums by Year

Post by nohitter151 »

MusicBringer wrote:And when I expand the Album Artist Tree the albums are listed. In alpha order.
I want mine listed in chronological order by Year/Date.
How do I get MM4 to do this.
Thanks,
You would need an addon like MagicNodes to do that.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
ChaosChoir

Post by ChaosChoir »

What I did was go to Album Art view and sort by Album Artist. Then hold Ctrl and click on the Date column and MM sorts the albums by year of release and not alphabetically.

Patrick
chazizagooner

Post by chazizagooner »

Yayy MM, I've been a devoted user for a few years now, and thanks for this post folks. I was going nuts trying to figure out how to sort by Artist, then year (shouldn't that be the default?). After all my searching this fix for multiple sort criteria was so easy, it was actually kind of embarrassing.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:29 pm It still works the exact same way. You might need to enable the Date column and then sort Album Artist > Date.
I am trying to sort albums by date [by year in other words]. At the moment, I click on albums in the sidebar. I am using the column filter with Album and Date up top. I have sort by release date checked. I was trying to both sort and reverse sort by year. I tried clicking on both album and also date and nothing seems to happen? In another thread, you mentioned holding the ctrl key and clicking. Could you clarify this for me?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Click the first column you want to sort on. Then hold down the Ctrl key while clicking any other column headers to sort on to apply additional sorting.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:08 pm Click the first column you want to sort on. Then hold down the Ctrl key while clicking any other column headers to sort on to apply additional sorting.
I tried to describe above what I am seeing. [Album view] I tried clicking on the column headers and also what is below them - All (1108 albums) and All (60 dates). Nothing seems to happen. Before I checked column view, all I wanted to do was a reverse sort by release date? Is this not possible?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not sure you're referring to the Filelisting or MM4 as you're having this discussion over multiple topics. I'm referring to sorting in the Filelisting: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... #Interface
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

deleted
Last edited by Erwin Hanzl on Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Sorry for any confusion. Before we go any further. I am using MM5. I posted this, https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 85#p469285, first in a MM4 forum. I may be mistaken. I just wanted to sort/reverse sort albums by release year. I assumed that this might be the same both in MM4 and MM5. As far as where [view/place] in MM5, I tried to describe that I was using the left most panel/sidebar and clicking on albums. Hopefully, this explains the context for my question. [As far as resizing album art, I can postpone this for another time]
EDIT: Where I am in this Column View, I can not only select, ALL (60 dates). But, below this are the various years. i.e. I can click on 2020 to highlight the albums in that year. This is very useful to me. Maybe this is better than a reverse sort [to me].
Last edited by TheEmpathicEar on Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then please keep the conversation there and in 1 topic. This is a MediaMonkey 4 forum and topic.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:54 pm Then please keep the conversation there and in 1 topic. This is a MediaMonkey 4 forum and topic.
In this context, this issue, the MM5 software would be different from MM4? This was my original mistake if this is true?