m3u playlist duplicates - please help

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

thefaceman

m3u playlist duplicates - please help

Post by thefaceman »

Sorry if this is a repeat of an old issue, but the search feature has not given me any help in finding the appropriate thread that answers my question.

I use MediaMonkey as my mp3 player. I use it because I classify my mp3s under various categories (I have about 50 types)

Unfortunately MediaMonkey has not eliminated the Duplicate playlist listings issues and it does not appear to be fixed anytime soon.

So I am begging someone to help me find a piece of software that will help me eliminate my duplicate listings in my playlists.

-thanks
-thefaceman
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

A script can probably be written to do this. I'll have a look. No promises though! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

By duplication, do you mean within a playlist, or between your playlists?
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Also, do you mean duplication of filename, or artist and title?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The first version of this script is now available from my website or this thread. Enjoy! :)
Philby

Post by Philby »

Trixmoto,
Good script. How about a mod that takes the currently-highlighted playlist as the one to check, instead of having to type it in ?
Regards
Philby
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I will look into this. I was hoping to write it to recurse through all the playlists. I'll hopefully post a new version soon! :)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I would very much like people's opinions on exactly what constitutes a duplicate. At the moment my script uses track ID. Would people rather it check song title, artist and song title, or something else I haven't thought of?
Philby

Post by Philby »

I know this creates more work for you, but why not let the user choose what they want checked (withing limits of course).

There is a program called "mp3 filter" from www.hardcoded.net that does this kind of stuff for the actual files themselves.

If I had to make a choice for MM playlists, I would want to check artist and title, maybe in conjunction with size.
Regards
Philby