Can't set MM as the default media player

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

tommycrock

Can't set MM as the default media player

Post by tommycrock »

Hi
I can't set MM4 as the default media player in Windows 7 > Default programs > Set program access and computer defaults because it doesn't appear on the list.
I don't have a problem with file associations, my files are associated fine but it means that the media key on my keyboard opens WMP not monkey and within explorer the play all button also associates with WMP.
By the way, play, stop, etc. buttons work fine with MM and I've seen the advice about Set mediamonkey as the default player http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=51 and the forum thread about associating media keys > http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=47158

Hope someone can help :)
BKKKPewsey

Re: Can't set MM as the default media player

Post by BKKKPewsey »

I notice that the same applies on my vista install even though I have a number of media files associated with MM.
However I am running on a portable install so I wonder if you are too?
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

No, at the moment I'm on a standard install. It's annoying that ms don't give you the option to locate the program like you can for file types, but it would be good to know where this gets registered.
oldfart

Post by oldfart »

Hi, I had a similar issue some time ago with XP, and I found it was the software for my logitech keyboard. I currently have win7 and xp pcs with logitech keyboards, but with no software installed for them. I dont know if your using logitech, but if you are try removing logitechs horrible software. You find that most usable features on the keyboard still work fine. My logitech music buttons open monkey every time. Hope this helps
MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

I have the exact same problem and slowly, but surely it's driving me mad.
When I go to OS Integration all the audio files are selected, as is the "Re-associate file types" option. Also, some of the video files are selected, so I deselect them, reselect the audio files and nothing happens. Tried reinstalling, running in Admin mode, setting windows association files to default and even doing all the above in safe mode - NOTHING works. Audio files are still not associated, and those few video files are not associated as well. It's like this window does absolutely nothing, except actually adding folder context menus. Each time I open OS Integration it's back to the same state:

I never had this problem with foobar2000 and when I change file association in Media Player Classic is works without any problems. Windows 7 here. Any ideas? I like MM so far, but this is unacceptable :/
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

oldfart:
Thanks - yes it's a logitech keyboard but I'm not running their awful software. In fact I don't think the version for my keyboard works on Vista never mind 7. I'm pretty sure my logitech music button would open MM if I could get windows to realise it was a music player and set it as the default.

MaxiM:
Don't know why you're having those problems, have you tried setting the file associations from within Windows 7 > Default programs > File associations (or something like that). What are they currently associated with? That program might be regrabbing the files.

Post by Guest »

Hey hey,

I'm kinda computer savvy and I know my way around system registry. No other program grabs the file associations, and yes, associating each file individually via Default Programs work to an extent (file icons remain blank).

I think I have found the cause though (well, not exactly the cause but something directly related to it): there is not a single registry entry related to MediaMonkey or even Ventis Media. No wonder MM dosn't appear on the "Set your default programs" list or that it doesn't do anything to registry while it should associate the files. The only entry containing MediaMonkey is in the "Uninstall" section.

MediaMonkey doesn't register itself properly during instalation. If enyone with Windows 7/Vista could export MediaMonkey KEY from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ (or wherever the hell it should be in this case) I might be able to merge it and maybe that would fix the problem. It's the least common bug with windows programs I've ever encountered... and such a basic one too :o
MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

Ha! Update on the subject at hand.

Instead of further messing with registry, i've decided to find the oldest MM4 release, which was 4.0.1.1461. Uninstalled the 4.0.3 one, installed the oldie, and *ta-dam* it works. MM is now listed under Default Programs, it assotiates the files via Options no problem, all music registered files have their proper icons and so on. Seems to me that 4.0.3 installer is broken. Should be fairly easy to fix, but for pete's sake, do it. I know many less patient people who would uninstall this program and never come back after encountering something like this. And there's a saying that applies to this: 1 happy customer will bring 10 more; 1 unhappy customer will deter other 100 ;)

My system info just in case it's helpful: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Built 7601), Service Pack 1, GENUINE (not some pirated crap of unknown origin).

EDIT: Installing 4.0.3 over 4.0.1 also worked. Maybe many of you didn't noticed the problem because you started with the older version and upgraded.
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Hmm, the earliest one I installed was build 1473 because I reinstalled windows. Might you have done a portable install? That would explain having no registry entries.
MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

Nope, not portable. I tried installing it many times to the same effect.
steviegt

Post by steviegt »

I am running Win 7 HP 64bit. I also have no registry entries for MM and I am running v4.0.3.1476. I reinstalled Windows so I did a fresh install of MM. No portable install. Nothing to tweak to make MM the default player (os integration, file types etc) and none of the file types are associated with MM because MM isn't showing anywhere as being a program installed other than start menu and control panel>programs and features. If I play the mp3's in MM they play fine but if I double click on the mp3 outside of MM Windows Media Player opens and plays the mp3. I don't want to uninstall/reinstall an older version and then install over it. Is there a real official solution to this problem or an easier solution?

I associated MM by file type thru Control Panel>Default Programs>Associate by Filetype and now MM opens when 2x click on file outside of MM but MM still dows not show up as a program in Default Programs. Of course it does not shou up in Autoplay settings either.
MMW Gold Lifetime v4.1.21.11875
MM Pro Android v1.3.2.0824
Windows Home 10.0.17134.228 64-bit Build 1803
MS Edge

Next to MediaMonkey, the best program available: Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/

"Being mean to someone takes more effort than being nice to them"
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

steviegt wrote: I also have no registry entries for MM and I am running v4.0.3.1476.
but MM still dows not show up as a program in Default Programs. Of course it does not shou up in Autoplay settings either.
Odd, I've got half of this problem, I have registry entries and didn't have any problems with file associations or autoplay but do have the default programs problem.
steviegt

Post by steviegt »

Correction to my previous post...I do have registry entried for MM. That was a brain fart. Everything else I have in that post is correct.
MS Edge

Next to MediaMonkey, the best program available: Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/

MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

Guys, as I said, try to install older 4.0.X release first (uninstall the one you have now ofc). It helped me, might as well help you.
steviegt

Post by steviegt »

I have done as suggested and it does work. Is anyone going to make this a known problem that needs a fix in a future release? I would sure hate to have anyone double install to make MM work like it's supposed to.
MS Edge