Media Monkey Locks-up in Windows 8

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Slingers

Media Monkey Locks-up in Windows 8

Post by Slingers »

I've been using Windows 8 now for a couple of weeks and have experienced the following problems with video media files.

= The most serious issue is that Media Monkey locks-up when I try and play video files by double clicking on them in windows explorer or from my windows Library location. I have managed to resolve this by running Media Monkey in administrator mode but I’d appreciate any thoughts on how to resolve this so I can run Media Monkey in normal mode. Admin mode results in UAC asking you every time you run Media Monkey to verify you want to open the program.

= File associations defined in the tools, options screen do not seem to re-apply at program start, the default Windows 8 file associations remain (windows media player). For now, in view of the lock-up issue, I have disabled this.

= If file associations are set manually in Windows 8 so that Media Monkey is the default for .avi, .vob, .mp4 and .mp3 files they return to the original Windows 8 media player associations after a lock-up of the Media Monkey software occurs as outlined above. This reset to the factory defaults also seems to occur if the Media Monkey software is launched using the icon and the “apply file associations at start-up” check box in tools, options is checked.

= Also, when I apply a new skin in Media Monkey the file associations in Windows 8 reset back to the factory defaults for .avi, .vob, .mp4 and .mp3’s (There may be others file types affected - I haven’t tested all media file types) which means they run in window media player.

Info
Windows 8 Pro O/S accessing files via network connection from Windows Home Server 2011
Media Monkey v4.0.6.1501 and v4.0.7.1508
Slingers - MM user and promoter for over 15 years
Lowlander

Re: Media Monkey Locks-up in Windows 8

Post by Lowlander »

After restart do the correct file associates show checked under Tools > Options > OS integration? If not it may indicate that settings are saved to the ini and thus associations are lost.

For video lockup you should create a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=68464 Note that Windows 8 isn't officially supported, but it should work and thus any debug logs on failures are welcomed by the developers.
Slingers

Post by Slingers »

Lowland,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have only installed Windows 8 on one of my PC's (my media PC) as a tester. All my other computers running Media Monkey are still on Windows 7.

Re the configuration shown in Media Monkeys Tools and Options screen all file type are shown as checked correctly and remain checked after a restart of the application.

The file association faults I am referring to above relate to Windows 8. Those accessed through "Program Defaults" in the control panel, those shown in Icon form when files are viewed in thumbnail mode in Windows Explorer, those accessible from the right click context menu under "open with" and (of course) the right click context menu items added after association with Media Monkey (Play, Play Next and Play Last in Media Monkey). All the same "thing" as you probably know.

I'll have a go at compiling and posting a debug report over the next few days.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I wonder if there is an issue with running as Administrator vs. normal users regarding to file associations. Do the file associations stick if you run MediaMonkey as normal users (again verify all is correctly set under Tools > Options > OS Integration)? Did you install as Portable Install instead of regular full install? You may also want to create a separate debug log for the file association issue making sure you capture the start of MediaMonkey.

You also may want to go into Windows 8 media player and check that file associations aren't set for the file types MediaMonkey is supposed to handle and/or that re-associate file associations (most media players have this option somewhere) is disabled.
Slingers

Post by Slingers »

Lowlander, comments noted. The original install of MM was one already on the computer - I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit- it is a full gold install, this was the latest version as per my original post. When I started having problems I did a re-install of MM's latest RC over the top but this didn't resolve the problem. I'd rather not do a fresh clean install of MM as I've got a networked DB with 70,000 media files on my server and particular desktop configs that requires quite a bit of fiddling to get them set up, I've then got to do this 6 times over on my 4 desktops and 2 laptops!! :-?

When I run MM as a normal user it just locks up when I try and run a file by double clicking in windows explorer. This lock-up seems to clear the originally established MM linked file associations which I have set manually and they revert to the original Windows 8 defaults.

Windows 8 has a new ribbon bar for playing video files in windows explorer - not sure if this is contributing to this issue.

I haven't run windows media player in my new Windows 8 install (I don't use it at all), it had been run some time ago on the previous Windows 7 install but not used for an age so there may be some file association junk left over from the original system configuration start-up windows Media Player does on first use. I'll have a look at the windows media player in my new windows 8 install and see if anything is set as you describe and "have a fiddle" with different configs.

Another thing which your post has made me think about is that I use the K-lite mega codec pack, my version is a few months old now. I'll download the latest one and refresh both the 32 bit and 64 bit codecs using the most up-to-date codec installs. :wink:

I'll keep you posted. :)
Slingers

Post by Slingers »

By-the-way - the files run OK if they are run from the Media Monkey library screens within the application
rusty

Post by rusty »

fyi, I've been testing this out on Win8, but can't replicate any of the problems described.

Hopefully debug logs will reveal something...

-Rusty
Slingers

Post by Slingers »

Log File x 2 now uploaded via the support site, sorry for the delay in responding - its been a bit of a hectic last few weeks.
Slingers

Post by Slingers »

I've become so disillusioned with Windows 8 and it was getting to be such a faff using my Media PC for its primary purpose, i.e. playing videos, that I've reverted it back to its original Windows 7 Ultimate state. Macrium Reflect is a wonderful thing, reverted in less than 10 mins :)

I may have another go with a clean install of windows 8 in the future but for now I just can not be bothered with the thing and its unreliable start screen and metro tiles which do not load consistently and it's infernal bounces between the desktop and start screen when you load applications.

Thanks for the interest and time you have spent on this. If I had a spare desktop computer I'd set it up with Windows 8 and do more testing for you so we can get your excellent product Windows 8 fighting fit but I don't.

Don't get too down hearted with all the patching up and work you're doing to cover those at Microsoft who seem, recently, to have a knack of producing software products with functionality that no-one wants and which seem to be being beta tested in the marketplace post sale of the product. I'm glad I only paid 25GBP for my copy!!
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I feel your pain. After a week of trying to get a new computer, with window 8, to work with the development tools I use to do my job ... i gave up. Took the computer back and got a different one that could be downgraded.

My guess is that at some point MS will realize the big mistake they have made and fix things (sp1?). But for now going backwards is the only thing that can be done.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

I have been running MM4 in Windows 8 for a month now and for me it is now running problem-free. I also had issues as I upgraded from Vista but I took the clean install advice from the MM Wiki, uninstalled, manually cleaned up all traces of MM and then re-installed. The only issue outstanding is that Trixmoto's Back-up script will not run on my machine.

I am now backing up to an external hard drive (picked up cheaply while the boxing day frenzy was on) by using Karen's Replicator and all's well.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note that the team is actively working on Windows 8 issues, so it's best to capture any issues you run into with a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69

Note that it is best to do so with the latest beta as beta release may have already fixed the issue you're running into.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Lowlander

I have had an exchange of e-mails with Trixmoto and he will be looking into it. It is an ActiveX issue as I reported in this thread:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=69136.

It seems that I am the only one with this issue (no posts from other users) and as I am happy with my manual backup I have told Trixmoto that it is not a pressing issue for me.

My post on this thread was simply to say that in my case MM is running perfectly in Windows 8.
Slingers

Post by Slingers »

Hi Guys,

Just need to resurrect this bug and post.

A month or so ago I updated 3 of my networked computers to Windows 8.1.

All 3 computers exhibit the same issue with Media Monkey as reported back in 2012 (wow how time flies !!!!).

The problem is with Media Monkey hanging (and effectively crashing) when I access media files direct from windows explorer, using the double click on file approach. This seems to happened with all media files MP$, MP3, MKV and AVI. It is particularly acute when accessing media files from my home server across the network. The same behaviour exhibits itself if I right click on the file and select "Play in Media Monkey" from the context menu.

If I first open Media Monkey on the computer then double click on the file it open in seconds. Any idea's. Any ideas??
Slingers

Post by Slingers »

Every time the lockup occurs I get this error:
The server {148F7BB6-4943-4C53-8E30-0F9115D30283} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
With this in Event Viewer:

Code: Select all

The program MediaMonkey.exe version 4.1.7.1741 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: 1830
 Start Time: 01d086b6a78cb905
 Termination Time: 4294967295
 Application Path: C:\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.exe
 Report Id: f1611aa0-f2a9-11e4-be93-00158315a310
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: AppHangXProcB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: MediaMonkey.exe
P2: 4.1.7.1741
P3: 55398563
P4: 4d7d
P5: 67246144
P6: svchost.exe:{148f7bb6-4943-4c53-8e30-0f9115d30283}
P7: 0.0.0.0
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
C:\Users\MediaPC\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD2F1.tmp.version.xml
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Critical_MediaMonkey.exe_9c633bdbbc2e4887475bf44348c509731b2884_c5918454_cab_0ba2d2f1\svchost.exe.18e5.wxtu.dmp
C:\Users\MediaPC\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD331.tmp.xml
C:\Users\MediaPC\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD341.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
WERGenerationLog.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Critical_MediaMonkey.exe_9c633bdbbc2e4887475bf44348c509731b2884_c5918454_cab_0ba2d2f1

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Last edited by Lowlander on Sat May 09, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.