Migrated from XP to win 7 Ultimate (errors Galore)

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rad1964

Migrated from XP to win 7 Ultimate (errors Galore)

Post by rad1964 »

I just migrated from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 Ultimate.
I copied my MM database, and .ini, .m3u and .m3u8 files into the user/appdata/roaming/mediamonkey directory, however when I start media monkey up I get a plethora of errors.
(I am using version 4.05)

Errors:
Access violation at address 00513A57 in module MediaMonkey.exe
The directory C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\ cannot be created.
The directory C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\VirtualCD\ cannot be created.
The directory C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\Previews\ cannot be created.

After repeating these errors once again Media Monkey opens.
I tried going into Options to change the temp directory, but I get an error when I try to set the new temp directory, Documents and Settings/UserName/Local Settings
when I click on local settings it gives me an error: is not accessible access denied.

Damn this windows 7!
This is a new installation on this machine.

rad1964 HELP!
Lowlander

Re: Migrated from XP to win 7 Ultimate (errors Galore)

Post by Lowlander »

The ini file has many Paths that are particular to the Windows version and user. You can edit the ini to change them to the correct Paths.
rad1964

Post by rad1964 »

Awesome altering the paths in the ini file took away ALL the errors.
Now how do I point my collection (formerly H: Drive) to the new location (now: G: My Music)

TIA,
rad1964
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

New drive id from win 7 means you have to find the hd id repairing script or lose all play counts and rescan the hd, then delete the old location node in the mm tree.

Been lots of this hd id switching so the script should be easy to find in a search but thats what you got to do
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rad1964

Post by rad1964 »

I have not had to use the hd repair script before and I have moved my collection to different drives many times. (just forgot what to do) The script, as you probably know, is from 2006, aka 7 years old. In the thread I found it in, Lowlander, who was the first commenter in this thread, mentioned something about Tools > Auto-Organize Files was the easiest way.

Now my 50,000+ mp3 files have already been moved to the new location. And from what I can remember, all I did was access something within the MediaMonkey menu.
Was Auto-Organize it? Whatever I had done in the past it was painless and easy.

rad1964
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

rad1964 wrote:Now how do I point my collection (formerly H: Drive) to the new location (now: G: My Music)
File > Locate Moved/Missing Files or http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

As you can see by lowlanders post you did more this time when you changed op systems,.
Which is what i said by new hd id from win 7, its not just a simple move unless you dont care about play counts, or playlists, you changed hd id's from what is stored in the mmdb, so you need to change it with the script or the way lowlander pointed to.

I was first going to tell you the simple way but seen you changed op systems so i let you know its not easy from what you did.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rad1964

Post by rad1964 »

Thanks Lowlander, just what the Monkey ordered!

*Problem Solved !

rad1964