Advanced Auto-Organise mask

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

bootrecords

Advanced Auto-Organise mask

Post by bootrecords »

Hello there,

currently I'm trying to create a super-fancy rule for my library to get it auto-organised properly, however I got stuck on a rather special case:
My current rule sorts in an <Album Artist:1> folder on my top level of organisation, however I have a few bands starting with a number (e.g. 30 Seconds To Mars) or even with special characters (e.g. :SITD:), on which this yields a number of unwanted folders (".\3\...", ".\:\...", and so on), while I would like to have a single folder containing all of these without having to compare against every single letter in the alphabet using a separate $if.

So is there a comparison I can run on <Album Artist:1> to check if it's an alphabetic character (like the RegExp [A-Za-z])?
martinstephenbanks

Re: Advanced Auto-Organise mask

Post by martinstephenbanks »

I want to do something very much like this. My difference being that on singles and EPs I put that in the Album title and then put them in a sub folder in the artist called Singles. I have other similar ones like Bootlegs and Live, Demos etc. So I want to create a calculated field, probably using one of the Custom fields, where I can put an IF statement to do some workings for me. Is it possible to do calculation to get a field's value? And if so what syntax does it use?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

$if(<Album Artist:1>>A,$if(<Album Artist:1><Z,yes,no) ,no) should do the trick (test this before using) where you replace yes with the value you want when Album Artist:1 equals a letter and no with what you want when it is not a letter.
bootrecords

Post by bootrecords »

Thanks a lot, Lowlander! I ended up using >=A and <=Z in the end, however (and the length of my rule seems to have doubled once again) - but it works as promised.

@martinstephenbanks: I can't imagine calculated fields to work and as far as I know there is no MediaMonkey feature with which you could generally assign a calculated value to a certain tag (I might be wrong though). I also wouldn't know how to even properly implement that, given that we're basically talking about ID3- and similar tags here, which don't have a unified structure across the different media file formats. So if at all, such a calculated field could only be stored within the database itself and not be written back into the according file.
However, if you were only out for automated sorting into such subfolders like \singles, \demos, etc., and have that Information in your album titles in a unified format (e.g. stated in plain text at the end of the album title), you could just use some nested $if construct using stuff like Right(<Album>, 5)= demo, Right(<Album>, 6)= single etc.