Average Start Up Time for MM

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rrfpacker

Re: Average Start Up Time for MM

Post by rrfpacker »

Yes. For whatever reason, a normal start up for me has always been a couple of minutes. I have had a portable install for at least 10 years.

I installed the script last weekend and the first start up wasn't bad, 3 minutes. I thought maybe the problem was fixed. I started MM last night, for the first time since last weekend, it took 2-3 minutes to open but as soon as I click anywhere the screen goes grey and won't respond. Windows will finally give me an error message stating MM isn't responding and I have to close it. I have to start MM 3-4 times before it will finally open and be usable.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

How many playlists do you have? Are you still using the exact same 5400rpm drive mentioned earlier in the discussion?
New system? I take it you've updated MM several times since op? What version are you currently using?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
๐Ÿ˜œ
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

With MMW 4 I have noticed that the initial scan of files at startup varies according to the "node" selected.

For a 35000 library, the time can be as low as 1-2 minutes with nodes like My Computer / Video (empty) but can run to an hour if the Music (most populated node) is selected.

On the plus side, MMW 5 is both quicker and more consistent at 20-30 seconds for the same 35000 MP3 library.
Ian Taylor
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
IanRTaylorUK wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:42 am On the plus side, MMW 5 is both quicker and more consistent at 20-30 seconds for the same 35000 MP3 library.
Unlike MM4 MM5 uses async multiple threads to offload main UI into background jobs and is more responsive. Downside (there is always downside) is that MM5 close/restart is slower as it checks all background threads to ensure it is finished.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

MMFrLife wrote: โ†‘Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:31 pm How many playlists do you have? Are you still using the exact same 5400rpm drive mentioned earlier in the discussion?
New system? I take it you've updated MM several times since op? What version are you currently using?
I have hundreds of playlists.

MM4.1.31.1919

I'm using yet another system and I wrote this to you August 13, 2015;

"(Current system is Windows 7, 3g ram, 320g HD, AMD E350 processor 1.6ghz, and my DB is 295,000 kb. I'm guessing the processor isn't the latest and greatest as far as speed, but my previous laptop had an Intel Centrino duo processor, supposedly the fastest, strongest because we do a lot of Excel number crunching.

However, as I said previously, MM has never taken less than 10 minutes to start up going all the way back to my first install in 2008, so I've thought it was normal.)"

I followed a suggestion earlier in the thread and started deleting scripts until I found the culprit , which is Randomize Playlist. Without it the start up time is very short, maybe a couple of minutes. With it installed over 10 minutes.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to fix this, so I have learned to deal.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

1. It took 10+ minutes since your first install (no third party scripts),

2. later you add RP script and it took longer or around the same.

3. then you learned to rename Scripts folder and like magic it cuts it
down to less than 5 secs.

That is odd because number 1. suggests it has something to do with your environment.
Whereas, number 2. and 3. suggest it is a scripts problem.

Is it possible something wrong with the way it was originally installed?
Have you always installed new versions on top of old ones. Have you ever attempted
another "clean" install (other than first time; dismiss if you already mentioned a clean install)?

rrfpacker wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:56 amI have hundreds of playlists. .................
I followed a suggestion earlier in the thread and started deleting scripts until I found the culprit ,
which is Randomize Playlist. Without it the start up time is very short, maybe a couple of minutes.
With it installed over 10 minutes.
Yes, that is why I asked about playlists.

The only theory I can offer specifically to that script is, it has to process the
playlists during launch, (rather than when chosen later with right-click menu) and
because you have hundreds, it is overwhelming it.

The only way to confirm or deny that is to find someone else that uses the script
and also has "hundreds" of playlists.

Maybe you could try leaving the script in but back up playlists before removing
them all, then reintroduce a few at a time. Do that at your own risk.

But again, according to the above mentioned logic, if true, that particular script
is not likely the root cause but a possible irritant.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
๐Ÿ˜œ
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Thank you for your suggestions and thoughts.

My original install 13 years ago was a normal "on a laptop" install. Once portable installations became available that's what I've done and each new upgrade has been over an old version. To be honest, I'm scared to do a clean install. I'm not very computer savvy and I'm so afraid of losing all the playlists and everything else. I am not even going to attempt to save all the playlists and introduce one at a time.

I do save/copy my DB every week or so and back up my music every month or so, as has been suggested, just in case of a crash. Maybe one of these days I'll study up on moving MM to another portable hard drive and give a clean install a shot.