Audio CD handling in Windows 10

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

bootrecords

Audio CD handling in Windows 10

Post by bootrecords »

Since upgrading to Windows 10 I'm experiencing unusual behaviour when trying to play and rip audio CDs in MM (4.1.8.1751) using my Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7260S (mapped to drive letter A:\ in Windows). I'm trying to track down the source of this behaviour, as I'm not entirely sure (yet) whether this is a MM bug or something that has to do with Windows 10. If anyone else around here experienced something similar, I'd be grateful for further data points.

So what's my issue with audio CDs?
  • MM does not display an audio CD track listing and insists on not finding a A:\ not containing an audio CD even though it does.
    -> accordingly, I can't rip audio CDs or play them from within MM
  • Audio CDs are recognised in Windows and I can play them in VLC.
  • I can also play them in MM when ordering MM to play them from the Windows File Explorer context menu
  • MM correctly recognises my disc drive and is even able to use it to flawlessly burn audio CDs
    -> it doesn't even recognise these self-burned CDs later on, however, but they again can be played in VLC [and MM, via Windows File Explorer]
Apart from this, I also tried bringing an external disc drive (LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GP08NU40 USB Device, mapped to G:\) to bear - but I fear that device is not working properly (from prior experience of trouble when trying to install operating systems on my notebook using that device). It did, however, show track lists for both CDs I tested with (a pressed one and my self-burned audio CD-R), and could partially rip the pressed CD (couldn't extract tracks 1,3 and 4 out of 6), but totally failed to play any track from both CDs, even in VLC (most of the time at least... I suppose there's something off with the USB connection, as it suddenly played in VLC (but still not in MM) when I plugged it into different USB ports).

Is this a known issue or did anyone else encounter similar phenomena after upgrading to Windows 10? Any tips on what else could couse this kind of behaviour/further tests I could run to pinpoint their source?
Peke

Re: Audio CD handling in Windows 10

Post by Peke »

Remove it from A:\ and all should be OK.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
bootrecords

Post by bootrecords »

Hm, that works. I find it a bit weird, though - that drive mapping had always worked fine under Windows 8.1 :-?
Peke

Post by Peke »

You were lucky, A: was always and will be reserved for Floppy (Virtual) and I think that Windows will never handle it correctly.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts