How do I disable the analyze volume feature entirely?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

cageygee3

How do I disable the analyze volume feature entirely?

Post by cageygee3 »

In the "Volume Leveling" section of the options, every checkbox is unchecked, yet the analyze volume feature still runs whenever I add files to the library. This causes multiple problems for me down the road (which I won't explain here), so much so that I've resorted to writing a MM script that will remove the analyzed volume from all my files. How can I stop MM from analyzing the volume of files I add to the library?
Lowlander

Re: How do I disable the analyze volume feature entirely?

Post by Lowlander »

Are you sure analysis is running? If the values are in the tags they'll be picked up during scanning without any analysis happening. The only option that would run analysis without the user starting it is the option to automatically analyze volume of unanalyzed files.
cageygee3

Post by cageygee3 »

Yes, I'm sure the analysis is running. I use Mp3tag to keep my ID3 tags in check, so I knew that all my MP3 files were clean when I went to add them to my MM library. After adding all my MP3s to MM, I checked Music → Files to Edit → Unanalyzed Volume, expecting that the total number of files there would be equal to the number of files in my library, but several hundred were missing, meaning MM had performed volume analysis on them. When I used Mp3tag to check my MP3s after importing to MM, I found the REPLAY_TRACK_GAIN tag on many of them, which was definitely not there before.

I've encountered this issue many times before, which is why I wrote that script I mentioned that removes track volumes. I have to run it on all new files after I finish any MM library update.

Is there another setting I'm missing? Here's what my settings look like now:

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've not seen this happen, so I can't confirm this to be the case (it would be a bug if it were). No tag writing at all should happen on scanning of files (unless auto-analysis is enabled).
cageygee3

Post by cageygee3 »

Yeah I see this behavior a lot. After importing a handful of files to my library, I always have to manually check the track volume by going to Properties... → Details tab → Leveling. I find that a lot of times the track volume is set to something other than "Not calculated" even though the auto-analyze option is disabled and my MP3s don't have those types of tags to begin with.

For posterity, here's the script I use to blow away the track volume:

Code: Select all

' A simple script that clears the track volume

Sub RemoveTrackVolume
  ' Define variables
  Dim list, itm, i

' Get list of selected tracks from MediaMonkey
  Set list = SDB.CurrentSongList

' Process all selected tracks
  For i=0 To list.count-1
    Set itm = list.Item(i)

' Clear the fields
    itm.Leveling = -999999
    itm.LevelingAlbum = -999999
  Next

' Write all back to DB and update tags
  list.UpdateAll
End Sub
Peke

Post by Peke »

MMW is not only app that analyze volume ;)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
cageygee3

Post by cageygee3 »

I use only two apps on my computer for my MP3s: MM and Mp3tag. Of those two, MM is the only one that analyzes volume.
CosmicKnowledge

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

In 2020, I can positively confirm this still happens.

I performed the auto-organize function to include new files into my collection and it started analyzing the track volumes. I was able to cancel that task but not after it performed the operation on a few files. This is annoying because I don't ever want MM doing anything to sound file volumes, ever. There should just be a [x] Master Off feature.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have the option to auto-analyze of unanalyzed files disabled under Tools > Options > Volume Leveling? Otherwise there would be no way that this should happen and you should capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69
CosmicKnowledge

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 am Do you have the option to auto-analyze of unanalyzed files disabled under Tools > Options > Volume Leveling? Otherwise there would be no way that this should happen and you should capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69
Yes.. all options on that page were disabled and yet it did volume analyzing anyway during the AutoOrganize function.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then capture this in a debug log like suggested above.