Ripping error: Access is denied

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rovingcowboy

Re: Ripping error: Access is denied

Post by rovingcowboy »

Funny but I had this issue once a long time ago. What I did was give the media monkey higher or realtime priority in the system by use of a 3rd party process manager program one that keeps the settings after a reboot. Also put mediamonkey on its own core/s to have it run smoothly. Haven't had issue again. :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
andesite

Cannot delete temporary files when ripping

Post by andesite »

I have a problem that has just started. When ripping CD's, an error window is presented after each track which states:

"Cannot delete C:\Users\New\AppData\Local\Temp\41C.wav, Access is denied. The file may be in use or you may not have access rights."

The directory changes, but all tracks exhibit the same problem. I have tried restarting MM, rebooting and several different CD's but the problem has not gone away. I am using Windows 10 Version 10.0.14393 build 14393 and MM version 4.1.14.1813. I have not done any downloading (although W10 may have done some) recently and so the platform should be the same as when I did the last successful rip (probably 2 months ago). Can anybody tell me what has happened and how I can resolve this problem please.
Last edited by Lowlander on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
MUR

ripping misery

Post by MUR »

I'm using MM with a Gold license since 201 now. Since then, I have ripped nearly 8,000 CDs to my NAS-Server and, until August, without any major problem. Since September I frequently (means very, very often, but not with every track or every CD) receive the warning: cannot delete Track0?.wav.access denied. the file is either in use or you do not have access authorization. I use the conversion to FLAC-format with my files.

I tried to change the folder for the temp. files in AppData\Local twice - no results

I gave more internal storage to the folder - no results

I expanded the access authorization (even having admin authorization) - no results

I did set back the computer to an restore point in April of this year - no results

I downsized to a very eary MM 4 version - no results (back to actual release - no results).

There has no software been changed or added on the computer between August and September and if it would be the Antivirus (disableing the real time scanner without..., yes, any result), this would affect my other computers as well, but with them, everything is running perfect - however, they are mainly not intended to run MM or rip CDs.

Who can help?

Matthias
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey are you on?
Zzaj

Windows 10 and MM4

Post by Zzaj »

When I attempt to RIP a CD in Windows 10, it starts the process, but EVERY file errors, either stating that it cannot delete the temp .wav file it created to convert it to .mp3, or that it cannot create the new folder on the external drive I am trying to rip to.

I contacted Windows, and they had a couple of suggestions, but basically were no help... essentially, it goes down to this (I think)... I am UNABLE to reset the "read-only" attribute on the folders (both temp and the permanent one I'm trying to burn to).

Has anyone else experienced this, and most importantly - DID you get a SOLUTION? If so, please share it with me... I'm DESPERATE to get this working in Windows 10
Zzaj

HELP - I'm about to ABANDON MM4

Post by Zzaj »

I really, REALLY need some help with this issue! I've been a (very) faithful user and advocate of MM since the early 2000's, but since installing MM4 on my new Windows 10 machine - I am TOTALLY UNABLE to RIP music to the library.

The "stock answer" seems to be - "Oh, well, that's a Windows problem"... and I agree... it IS! BUT, I need someone to help me figure out how to FIX that issue in Windows 10... I got the following from Microsoft when I contacted them - but it didn't change anything... as soon as I tell the CD to rip, it starts the normal process, but THEN after track 1, it pops up to say that it couldn't DELETE the .wav file it had created as part of the rip to .mp3 320... anyway, here's what Microsoft gave me (that DID NOT work)...

--------------------------------------
Right-click the folder, then select Properties.
Go to Security tab, then click Advanced.
Click Change to the right of Owner.
Enter Users into the box, then click OK.
Enable the checkbox Replace owner on sub containers and objects, then click Apply.
If prompted that You do not have permissions to read, click Yes.
Completely close out of the Advanced Security Settings dialog.
Repeat step 1.
Go to Security tab, then click Edit.
Select Add.
Enter Users into the box and click OK.
Enable the Full Control checkbox, then click OK.
==========================================================\
Please, PLEASE - some of you developers for MediaMonkey - I truly NEED to be able to RIP CD's; that's over 50% of the reason why I got this package in the first place....

p.s. I've already used another ripper called FREERIP, and though it works in Windows 10, it makes it MUCH MORE DIFFICULT than MediaMonkey...
Peke

Re: HELP - I'm about to ABANDON MM4

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please open support ticket where we can get into debugging and log fetching.

Good thing that you known issue on some PCs and it is fixable in 99.9% of cases.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Zzaj

Post by Zzaj »

I'm UNABLE to login to your SUPPORT area... I'm trying to use the same username/password that I use to get into the forum... what am I doing wrong?
Zzaj

Post by Zzaj »

This is the error it gives me - Invalid Username or Password
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, could you please install tool called LockHunter, available e.g. here: https://lockhunter.com/
And at the time when MM is saying that it cannot delete the temp file, right-click the file in the windows explorer > What is locking this file ...
and send me screenshot of apps that are locking the file? Or list the apps?

That should give us a clue, thanks!
epimetheus

Post by epimetheus »

I have the same problem.
I installed the lockhunter software, but the temp files are not locked at all or in use by other programs.
I can manually copy the files concerned and they are fully functional files. Mediamonkey deletes the files after the error message, proving that there is no rights issue but that the problem is probably an erroneous error message...
Three days ago (sept 5th 2018) i did not have any problems at all and ripped about 25 CD's to a QNAP NAS. All of a sudden (sept 6th) mediamonkey stopped converting. Reinstall did nothing. switching temp directory did nothing. Other ripping software works fine.
Using fully updated windows 10.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69

For me it still works.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

@epimetheus, are you saying that once the "Access Denied" error on the *.wav file in the temp directory appears and you click [Retry] then the file is deleted and opration proceeds successfuly? As Lowlander wrote, it would be good to see debug log.
epimetheus

Post by epimetheus »

The temp file is deleted but the operation (conversion to flac in my case) is not completed.
Where can I find the debug log?
epimetheus

Post by epimetheus »

I found the instructions to create a debug log. Will create it somewhere over the weekend.