MM repeatedly freezing after Win10 November update

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Ewan_Hoozami

MM repeatedly freezing after Win10 November update

Post by Ewan_Hoozami »

Hi

I've often had a problem with MM freezing while doing batch format conversions, but since the November update of Windows 10 it also freezes every time I change a bluetooth device or if I simply plug in or remove a pair of headphones and it's driving me nuts. I have MM 4.1.10.1778 Gold (registered to my wife Sue).

I've created a debug file, but can't figure out how to attach it, I'm new here

thanks

Ewan
Peke

Re: MM repeatedly freezing after Win10 November update

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Open Support ticket here http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ (credentials are same)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ewan_Hoozami

Post by Ewan_Hoozami »

Thanks Peke, have done so.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Based on your description that is normal as Windows rearrange sound drivers and changes playback channels.
Best regards,
Peke
Ewan_Hoozami

Post by Ewan_Hoozami »

Hi Peke

I do not think it is normal as MM never froze whenever changing bluetooth devices or when disconnecting wired headphones until the last few weeks.

The only notable change I've made to the system about the time of the problem arising is that I installed the November Win10 Update, i.e. MM worked fine with the original Win 10 configuration and with earlier versions of Windows.

I've sent the log file you requested a few days ago and I've I've also sent several log files generated by the debug program relating to freezes when changing bluetooth devices.

I've just received a request from you to send another log file, which I'm happy to do, do you want the headphone freeze or the bluetooth freeze, or both?

thank you

Ewan
surch-lite

Post by surch-lite »

What has
...Windows rearrange sound drivers and changes playback channels
got to do with the user
doing batch format conversions
These are separate processes in MM, surely - one shouldn't be affecting the other. Bare minimum, there should be some error handling for this eventuality anyway.
Ewan_Hoozami

Post by Ewan_Hoozami »

Probably nothing at all, surch-lite.

Just to clarify, the batch conversion problem is a long-standing one, it doesn't happen all the time and it's something I live with.

The problems with the headphone and bluetooth freezes are much more annoying as they cause MM to freeze every time I change bluetooth devices or unplug headphones, which I do several times a day. The problem only started a couple of weeks prior to my original post.

thanks

Ewan
Peke

Post by Peke »

BT problem is that while MMW is playing for example on Audio Device ID x, it gets unavailable and MWM freeze due the fact Windows still have playback buffer assigned and will wait till its finishes. Problem arise as BT devices IDs are assigned dynamically and unless you restart MMW we can't know right playback device.
Best regards,
Peke
Ewan_Hoozami

Post by Ewan_Hoozami »

Hi Pavle

Thanks for your response. Your theory does not explain why the problem did not occur in Windows 8, 8.1 or the first iteration of Windows 10 but only started with the November update (which I did not install until mid-December). If you are getting reports of the same problem from other Windows 10 users then the matter might warrant your further attention. But if I am the only person with the problem then it is more likely to be caused by some other factor unique to my setup, and I guess there's not much you can do about that if nothing show on the log files.

thank you
Ewan_Hoozami

Post by Ewan_Hoozami »

The issue now seems to have been resolved, but I can't say whether it was because of an MM update, a Win 10 update, a network card driver update, some combination of these, or something else.