Opening File Locations

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pauliec

Opening File Locations

Post by pauliec »

Hi All

I am pretty OCD when it comes to my music collection and I like to manage the information myself. To that end, in Windows Media Players, you could point at a song and open the file location. This came in handy when moving files and directories around. What is the best way to do this in Media Monkey?

thanks
MMFrLife

Re: Opening File Locations

Post by MMFrLife »

1. right-click a file > find more from same > folder (explorer)
or
2. right-click the main border > configure > choose the toolbar button from "find more from same" > folder (explorer)
If you right-click any other border it's, Toolbars > configure

If your in the My Computer view you can click open in explorer from right click menu in tree or if file list, "find more... > folder (explorer).
You cannot, however, do that from the library (tree or file list).

I use the toolbar button for all three general "find the same" options
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
In addition to above, it is not recommended to move files outside MMW as you may end up with non playable tracks (commonly known as Grayed tracks).
MMW have number of tools to help you not move tracks and arrange theme into more verbose folder structure especially with the powerfull Right click on Selected tracks -> Auto-Organize (Help Pages http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... enames/4.0 and destination mask description http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ormats/4.0)

Along with above here you number of direct user examples on how to do that http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... s_Examples

Feel free to ask anything regarding usage and please pay careful attention to Preview window and messages above it (especially RED one) before you click OK
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
krcook

Post by krcook »

I don't think the question has been answered. I'd love to migrate to Music Monkey, But,... Being able to find a song's music file music file quickly in an operating system window is super valuable. For example, while I am playing a song in iTunes I can browse my music library in iTunes, highlight a different song, right click on the song and by choosing "show in Windows Explorer" I get can the folder containing the file to pop up in an instant showing the chosen song/file highlighted. This allows me to play the second song on a different music player while the first one is ending its play in iTunes. Great on the spot, timed cross-fades can be done this way. I would really love to dump iTunes for MM. But, MM doesn't seem to offer this kind of utility. I believe that showing me "more like this" won't work. Does "more like this" allow me to get directly to the file of the subject song so I can click on it and get full access to the file in the OS? Without that, I cannot make the kind of cross fades that make a music show sound lively. I think MM beats iTunes in most ways, but I feel stuck with iTunes because, as I explained, it permits me to do live cross-fades. I think the original question was all about fast access to a user chosen music file/song.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Right click and use Find More from Same > Folder (Explorer) will do this.