Generating genre from folders

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MMFrLife
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by MMFrLife »

Bob_m_54 wrote:The laughing face... umm I always thought that meant in good humour.. :wink:
No worries.

Re.
"not coming across multiple genres"

His structure Is "Music\Genre\...."
If he goes to the tree and opens "Music", he can click on the "all" node and all files with respective genres would be displayed for editing.
The question is are "all" his files lacking the genre tag? Maybe not.

I use genre in my folder structure too, but it proceeds the artist name, \Genre Album Artist\. When using RegExp Find & Replace I have to use the
batch feature of the enhanced version to keep the left-most number of words.

Like you say, everyone has their way, ain't it wonderful. Well, much of the time, anyway.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
others: Adv. Dup. Find & Fix and Backup 6.0, but buggy || software for power users: "Q-Dir"
(free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer- "ReNamer" (den4b)
MMW 4.1.31.1919; ...back it up...frequently!
Bob_m_54
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by Bob_m_54 »

MMFrLife wrote:
Bob_m_54 wrote:The laughing face... umm I always thought that meant in good humour.. :wink:
No worries.

Re.
"not coming across multiple genres"

His structure Is "Music\Genre\...."
If he goes to the tree and opens "Music", he can click on the "all" node and all files with respective genres would be displayed for editing.
The question is are "all" his files lacking the genre tag? Maybe not.

I use genre in my folder structure to, but it proceeds the artist name, \Genre Album Artist\. When using RegExp Find & Replace I have to use the
batch feature of the enhanced version to keep the left-most number of words.

Like you say everyone has their way, ain't it wonderful. Well, much of the time, anyway.
That won't matter, one step and all his files will have the genre tag the same as the genre folder they are in...

One question for me though, do you find an advantage in storing the files according to genre? If so, what is the reason?
the way I store mine is like this example for say Rolling Stones.

Code: Select all

[Music Collection]\Music\Flac\R\The Rolling Stones\1971 - Sticky Fingers\01 - Brown Sugar.flac
MMFrLife
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by MMFrLife »

Bob_m_54 wrote:That won't matter, one step and all his files will have the genre tag the same as the genre folder they are in...
Well then, in a multiple genre situation, I guess I still don't get how pasting in a single genre, like "rock", and then just changing it to \<Genre>\,
before accounting for anything else, will assign the genres from the folders to the tag fields if they are missing from the fields to begin with.
Maybe, I will test it out some time with the "all" multi-genre scenario. Anyway, don't worry about it.


Bob_m_54 wrote:One question for me though, do you find an advantage in storing the files according to genre? If so, what is the reason?
the way I store mine is like this example for say Rolling Stones.
Bob_m_54 wrote:

Code: Select all

[Music Collection]\Music\Flac\R\The Rolling Stones\1971 - Sticky Fingers\01 - Brown Sugar.flac
I approach my structure with the idea, "what if I didn't have a fancy program that organizes everything a trillion different ways".
What if I had to just rely on a very basic player and my folder sturcture, or I didn't have access to a player and just wanted to browse/assess
the library with the structure?

- First, I consider how important the music is to me (simple abbreviated code)
- Second, I don't like using conventional genres, as is (also wording them out), so I came up with a genre code based on conventional ones (abbreviated
and combined with genre code). [I use a custom field for album/song specific genres/sub-genres (don't always fit to a single genre) and write them out like convention]

"Importance/Genre" and "Album Artist' would be combined as a single folder
- the "Year" (followed by a sequence letter; A, B, C) and "name of the album" (combined as a single folder)
- the track name as track# and Title.

So you might have something like this,

Code: Select all

H:\AMI.A1.P0\(RP0) H1a Led Zeppelin\1969B Led Zeppelin II\01 Whole Lotta Love
where,
Top level:
AMI.A1.P0 = "Audio, Music, Internal"."placeholder for ordering" (other folders involved at top level)."Primary Core"
and so on...
(RP0) H1 = (Rock, PrimaryCore) Hard (intensity degree of 1, "a" is subdivision related to popularity/fame)
1969B = second album released in 1969 (I use custom field as tag equivalent because of numerical field limitation)

There is a lot more to it (including some folder ID enhancements), too much to explain out - but that is gist of just the folder structure.
I'm currently working on a whole new set of tag IDs.

I try to balance the complexity/over excess of the structure with simplicity by refraining from including too much. I've tried several different approaches,
but you can only get so much info in with the folder structure, whereas you really don't have to sacrifice inside the program.

It such a relative thing, it's difficult to say what the advantage is "over" the methods of other users. If file type (like flac) is uppermost important to you,
then that's what you go with. For me, that would be too limiting. I want to browse through with files in a folder by genre (mood, intensity, style). I care
about quality, but if I only have an album or songs in mp3 as opposed to flac, it's not going to kill the mood for what I want to listen to. For me, quality,
although "highly" important, will always be secondary to just craving a certain genre/artist/album (unless it's a very poor quality).
That's probably not the reason you use extension first. I'm sure you've got some good reason that works best for you. But I've never felt the need to put extension
as uppermost importance within Music. If I want to divide by extension, I'll do that inside MM.
I've also abandoned various "Letter" range approaches like "A - C", or single letter. It just adds too many, either top level or second level, folders to an already
well divided folder rich top level scheme. I like that currently each path is only 3 deep, but still includes a lot of info. The way my scheme is I get everything
ordered by the letter of the band "and" within the genre's letters; all in a single folder. The only thing I might add in the future is
a little more info to the filename. I've done that some before, not all that crazy about it.

What's included in the structure is always a compromise for one's needs. Otherwise, it gets ridiculous the more you include. Now, tag IDs - that's
a whole other world of expansion and possibilities. But, even those, if not using an "abbreviated" system, can get out of hand as well.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
others: Adv. Dup. Find & Fix and Backup 6.0, but buggy || software for power users: "Q-Dir"
(free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer- "ReNamer" (den4b)
MMW 4.1.31.1919; ...back it up...frequently!
Bob_m_54
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by Bob_m_54 »

MMFrLife wrote:
Bob_m_54 wrote:That won't matter, one step and all his files will have the genre tag the same as the genre folder they are in...
Well then, in a multiple genre situation, I guess I still don't get how pasting in a single genre, like "rock", and then just changing it to \<Genre>\,
before accounting for anything else, will assign the genres from the folders to the tag fields if they are missing from the fields to begin with.
Maybe, I will test it out some time with the "all" multi-genre scenario. Anyway, don't worry about it.
OK, this is my last post on the matter too, but to try and clear it up...
There is no need to paste anything in the "File Format" bar. simply type the string: C:\Users\Bob\Music\<Genre>\<Album Artist>-<Album>\<Artist>-<Title> into the "File Format" window... all the copy and paste was doing, was giving him a template to work from.

When you click the go button, MM will populate the tags with whatever you have selected as the input field. So, for each file, mm will populate the Genre Tag with whatever is in the file path that you have nominated. The same with Album Artist, Artist, track Artist, and Track Title. So a file with the path:

C:\Bob\Music\Rubbish\Spice Girls-What an Awful Album\Spice Girls-Worst Song Ever.flac

that has nothing in the Genre, Album Artist, Album, Artist and Title ID3 fields, will automatically get those fields populated as per the path structure. If the fields contain different values in the tags, they will be changed to reflect the Path Structure. If they have the correct info as per the path, they will remain the same.

Dump the file (actually the whole "Album Artist-Album" folder) into another Genre folder, because you decided it isn't where you want it, ie. should be in the "Most godawful Music Ever" Genre folder, and Auto tag From Filename again, and it will change the ID3 "Genre" field to reflect where you just dumped it.

I really don't know how to explain it any simpler sorry........
MMFrLife
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by MMFrLife »

Bob_m_54 wrote:OK, this is my last post on the matter too, but to try and clear it up...
It's cool. I didn't mean you had to stop. I just didn't want you to get worked up about it like some people with
impatience issues. I get frustrated sometimes, but I'm pretty patient; if the other person is too. :wink:

Anyway, Eureka! It does work! :D
Although, I had to figure it out on my own. Things like "Pasting to the bar" and "click on the go button" were confusing.

__________
Allow me to articulate for anyone else:

- Start by following only what is underlined. For further exploration, see rest.

If you order all of the "<tag field> format elements" according to where they are in your path, the tag fields should be filled
accordingly.

If your path is "G:\Music\Hard Rock\Black Sabbath\Sabbath Bloody Sabbath\A National Acrobat.flac", then >

1. Any folders that don't reflect tag fields are not necessary, eg. \Music\, \John Doe's Music\, \All-Time Favorites\, \flac\, etc.
Reason being, it reads/fills in the tags starting from the right-most folder level of the path.

2. The first "tag related" folder in the above example is the "genre" (Hard Rock), so you start the "auto-organize Filename Format field"
at the top of the dialog with, "\<Genre>\". With all the elements in order, according to the above "Pathname", you would have
\<Genre>\<Album Artist>\<Album>\ in the field at the top of the dialog.
You could also start by writing the tag field format in reverse order,
as mentioned above, if desired. However, that might be confusing to some.

3. You must write in "all" of the tag related fields, even if some are already filled out. Doing that allows for the proper folder level to
be read for a tag.
For ex., if you have "\Music\Genre\Album Artist\Album\" and you only need Genre and Album to be filled. So, you input "\Genre\Album\".
The Album tag would be correct because it is representing the last folder level of the path (it's also the last level input into the format field at the top),
but the 'Genre' tag would have the 'Album Artist' name in it because the 'Genre' is in the path's second level position; counting from the right.
Even though Genre appears first in the "\Genre\Album\" example, it represents the second position from the end of the "actual" path because
all elements of the "actual" path are not represented.

4. More complex folder names, with combined elements (folder level of genre is actually, "\Hard Rock Black Sabbath\"), can pose a problem.
There are probably some statements that can be implemented to separate those out. From here, maybe? You could also use RegExp Find & Replace add-on.
__________


I think what's thrown me off all this time about Auto-Tag from Filename is the synonymous use of Filename for the "Path" or "Pathname".
The Filename is only a "part" of the path. Therefore, I always saw it as having to do with the filename part of the path. I've messed
with it very little in the past.

In conclusion, I would say the edit properties and auto-organize ways are both fairly quick. Although, the "edit properties" way
may be less confusing/simpler to think about to someone new/just starting out; as long as the genre is all the same for the selection.
If not, Auto-Tag from filename is simpler, and necessary! That is unless, of course, your feeling bold and want to venture out into
the power that is RegExpF&R (especially with complex folder name combinations).

Pretty cool, after all these years, I'm still learning stuff about MM.

btw, nice touch with the Spice Girls. :lol:

On the topic of Genre usage in general:
Really? No comments about usage of the genre in the path? After I wrote all that? Not that I'm expecting the
average media lover/the masses to adopt my ways, or anyone for that matter, but were you thinking of using genre
or just curious about it?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
others: Adv. Dup. Find & Fix and Backup 6.0, but buggy || software for power users: "Q-Dir"
(free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer- "ReNamer" (den4b)
MMW 4.1.31.1919; ...back it up...frequently!
Bob_m_54
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by Bob_m_54 »

MMFrLife wrote:
Bob_m_54 wrote:OK, this is my last post on the matter too, but to try and clear it up...
It's cool. I didn't mean you had to stop. I just didn't want you to get worked up about it like some people with
impatience issues. I get frustrated sometimes, but I'm pretty patient; if the other person is too. :wink:

Anyway, Eureka! It does work! :D
Although, I had to figure it out on my own. Things like "Pasting to the bar" and "click on the go button" were confusing.

__________
Allow me to articulate for anyone else:

- Start by following only what is underlined. For further exploration, see rest.

If you order all of the "<tag field> format elements" according to where they are in your path, the tag fields should be filled
accordingly.

If your path is "G:\Music\Hard Rock\Black Sabbath\Sabbath Bloody Sabbath\A National Acrobat.flac", then >

1. Any folders that don't reflect tag fields are not necessary, eg. \Music\, \John Doe's Music\, \All-Time Favorites\, \flac\, etc.
Reason being, it reads/fills in the tags starting from the right-most folder level of the path.

2. The first "tag related" folder in the above example is the "genre" (Hard Rock), so you start the "auto-organize Filename Format field"
at the top of the dialog with, "\<Genre>\". With all the elements in order, according to the above "Pathname", you would have
\<Genre>\<Album Artist>\<Album>\ in the field at the top of the dialog.
You could also start by writing the tag field format in reverse order,
as mentioned above, if desired. However, that might be confusing to some.

3. You must write in "all" of the tag related fields, even if some are already filled out. Doing that allows for the proper folder level to
be read for a tag.
For ex., if you have "\Music\Genre\Album Artist\Album\" and you only need Genre and Album to be filled. So, you input "\Genre\Album\".
The Album tag would be correct because it is representing the last folder level of the path (it's also the last level input into the format field at the top),
but the 'Genre' tag would have the 'Album Artist' name in it because the 'Genre' is in the path's second level position; counting from the right.
Even though Genre appears first in the "\Genre\Album\" example, it represents the second position from the end of the "actual" path because
all elements of the "actual" path are not represented.

4. More complex folder names, with combined elements (folder level of genre is actually, "\Hard Rock Black Sabbath\"), can pose a problem.
There are probably some statements that can be implemented to separate those out. From here, maybe? You could also use RegExp Find & Replace add-on.
__________


I think what's thrown me off all this time about Auto-Tag from Filename is the synonymous use of Filename for the "Path" or "Pathname".
The Filename is only a "part" of the path. Therefore, I always saw it as having to do with the filename part of the path. I've messed
with it very little in the past.

In conclusion, I would say the edit properties and auto-organize ways are both fairly quick. Although, the "edit properties" way
may be less confusing/simpler to think about to someone new/just starting out; as long as the genre is all the same for the selection.
If not, Auto-Tag from filename is simpler, and necessary! That is unless, of course, your feeling bold and want to venture out into
the power that is RegExpF&R (especially with complex folder name combinations).

Pretty cool, after all these years, I'm still learning stuff about MM.

btw, nice touch with the Spice Girls. :lol:

On the topic of Genre usage in general:
Really? No comments about usage of the genre in the path? After I wrote all that? Not that I'm expecting the
average media lover/the masses to adopt my ways, or anyone for that matter, but were you thinking of using genre
or just curious about it?
haha, glad you worked it out, and yes, what seems straight forward to some, may look confusing through different eyes. As for the filename/path confusion, coming from old school computer use and programming, I have always regarded the full path of the file to be included in the filename. There is no way to reference a file, unless you know where the file is. Actually, if you use "Auto Organise" a bit like I have done, it makes you more aware of this (in reverse)..

I understand that the "copy and paste" of the single file path may have added to confusion, but because I also work in Linux, which is case sensitive, I am forever having to retype paths and file names, due to typos with case. Hence my suggestion to use one file path to act as a template, to negate any typos.

For your example "/Hard Rock Black Sabbath/" yes that would be awkward. But if it was "/Hard Rock - Black Sabbath/" you would use "/<Genre> - <Album Artist>/" in the string.

Yes, sorry I forgot to add a comment about using "Genre" in the path. But it was just curiosity on my part. I wasn't thinking of using it that way myself, because I only ever use information like that via ID3 tags, in whatever player software I use. But I'm always keen to hear why people do things a certain way incase there is something that could be improved in the way I do things. But also, as you said, we do what works better for the way we like to do things. :D
Anyway, all good... :D
MMFrLife
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by MMFrLife »

Bob_m_54 wrote:haha, glad you worked it out, and yes, what seems straight forward to some, may look confusing through different eyes. As for the filename/path confusion, coming from old school computer use and programming, I have always regarded the full path of the file to be included in the filename. There is no way to reference a file, unless you know where the file is. Actually, if you use "Auto Organise" a bit like I have done, it makes you more aware of this (in reverse)..
Yes, it does seem like one big file name. In a literal sense, the folder levels are connected/strung together by the "\" and seem more as one when viewed that way.
Although, in the everyday people interaction with computers, we deal so much with just the filename itself (renames, moves, etc.). Most don't really see/consider
it as a path, just a bunch of folders and files. I really wish they would change the name to "Auto-Tag from Path" or Path Name. It will probably never happen, though.

I've used Auto-Organize much more, its good and works well. Although, I learned to think more in terms of one end and the other by using RegExp Find & Replace.
It has many left-most, left-specified and right-most, right-specified presets.
Bob_m_54 wrote:I understand that the "copy and paste" of the single file path may have added to confusion, but because I also work in Linux, which is case sensitive,
I am forever having to retype paths and file names, due to typos with case. Hence my suggestion to use one file path to act as a template, to negate any typos.
Yeah, somewhat on typos. Some elements, if not all, are rewritten. It can definitely serve as a guide for people not as familiar with the concept. They can more easily keep up with where the tags correspond to the levels.
Bob_m_54 wrote:For your example "/Hard Rock Black Sabbath/" yes that would be awkward. But if it was "/Hard Rock - Black Sabbath/" you would use "/<Genre> - <Album Artist>/" in the string.
Yeah, I've thought about that and, somewhat, did the hyphen approach in the past, but I'm trying to eliminate as many path characters as possible to allow for longer
filenames when needed. It isn't an issue for the majoriy of the library, but some jazz, classical and progressive rock names can be quite long. In the past I''ve abbreviated
some to keep the paths under 250 - 255 "Windows". I hate doing that. :x
It only saves 2 characters per combined elements, but it can add up fast!

Bob_m_54 wrote:But it was just curiosity on my part. I wasn't thinking of using it that way myself, because I only ever use information like that via ID3 tags, in whatever player software I use. But I'm always keen to hear why people do things a certain way incase there is something that could be improved in the way I do things.
Yes, I love hearing other people's ideas, too. You never know where the inspiration will come from.

Thanks for inspiring me to dig into something I probably would have otherwise continued not paying much attention to. And will continue to since I
don't really have much use for it (I'm a RegExpFind & Replace addict). At least, now I have a much finer grasp if the occasion arises. :wink: :D 8)
Last edited by MMFrLife on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
others: Adv. Dup. Find & Fix and Backup 6.0, but buggy || software for power users: "Q-Dir"
(free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer- "ReNamer" (den4b)
MMW 4.1.31.1919; ...back it up...frequently!
rvgammill
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:57 am
Location: Houston

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by rvgammill »

Think of Genre and other Tags as codes. Metadata Codes are not file structures, they are how you filter, sort, organize and view the files.

The simplest file structure is always best. Let the powerful MM database do the heavy lifting with metadata.

Typically you need a container for Artist Name, with Album folders inside for the Album Names you rip. Inside the Album Name folder are the song files, with its cover art ('folder.jpg') and 'lyrics' files. These song files are coded in their 'metatags'; as data entries in a spreadsheet part of the songfile for Artist, Genre, Composer, Label, Date, etc.

There is even the option to make the 'folder.jpg' and 'lyrics' part of the songfile. But the simplest is to code the details and leave the artwork and lyrics in the Album folder so that filesize does not become ponderous.

As you encounter issues like misspellings of Artist, simply filter for everything (Prince OR Prance), Press Enter or Click Go, then highlight all the Albums (ALT+A), Right Click the highlighted table, select Properties to get the common metadata sheet, select Artist, Type Prince; select Album Artist, type Prince. Click Apply. Click OK. Housekeeping completed.
MMFrLife
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by MMFrLife »

rvgammill wrote:Think of Genre and other Tags as codes. Metadata Codes are not file structures, they are how you filter, sort, organize and view the files.

You can already know that and still not want to generally see it that way. When I look at a genre like Rock, I'm going to think of it as Rock, not as a code. That would be too boring for me. When I need to do something technical with it, I will think of it as code; as I have over the course of many years. You make a good point, though.
rvgammill wrote:The simplest file structure is always best. Let the powerful MM database do the heavy lifting with metadata.
Not always, but generally. It depends on how the complexity of your structure best serves your needs. Sometimes I like it a little less straight-forward, with
a bit more to the structure than the usual ways people do it. Whatever works for you is best.
rvgammill wrote:There is even the option to make the 'folder.jpg' and 'lyrics' part of the songfile. But the simplest is to code the details and leave the artwork
and lyrics in the Album folder so that filesize does not become ponderous.
I've always embedded the main artwork. It's extremely simple and doesn't do much to the size, even collectively. There are purists who even believe that embedding
supplemental data to the file messes with its integrity. I haven't heard of any hard evidence for that, but to each his/her own.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
others: Adv. Dup. Find & Fix and Backup 6.0, but buggy || software for power users: "Q-Dir"
(free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer- "ReNamer" (den4b)
MMW 4.1.31.1919; ...back it up...frequently!
mmediaman
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Yet another Autotag from Filename Question

Post by mmediaman »

Hi Guys,

I see similar topics such as http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 3&start=15.
However for some reason the explanations don't seem to apply for me.

I have a folder structure on disk similar to:
DriveLetter:\Media\Genre\Era\FileName where FileName is in the format {TITLE} - {Artist}

I want to populate one of the tags such as Genre in each FileName, representative of the path it is in. I have tried using <Path:n> and <Folder:n> in a command like this: <Path><Genre>\<Title> - <Artist>. But all I ever get in the Genre tag is the last subfolder name in the path and not the full path. I thought a command such as <Path:1><Genre>\<Title> - <Artist> would populate the Genre tag with the full path and without the drive letter or the first level (\Media) folder of the source path.

Please help me understand what should work. Thanks in advance.
Bob_m_54
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by Bob_m_54 »

The best file structure is the one that works best for you. For me, I like to be able to easily find an album, especially when I am updating my music collection, and I have ripped a flac copy to replace a dubious mp3 copy. I have two main folders, one for FLAC and the other MP3. Then they, in turn, I have divided into folders A, B, C, D etc, plus a Various Artists folder. Then each alphabetised folder contains folders for each artist of that letter. Each artist folder contains separate folders for their albums, which contain the tracks for each album.
So I get:
Z:\Shared Music\Flac\A\AC-DC\2008 - Black Ice\01 - Rock 'n' Roll Train.flac and
Z:\Shared Music\Flac\F\Foo Fighters\1997 - The Colour And The Shape\02 - Monkey Wrench.flac
for example . it's just easier for me that way.
I also embed covers for all my tracks, at 500X500 pixels. They only add between 50K and 100K to each of the files, so no biggie for files that are generally 20M to 30M anyway.
MMFrLife
Posts: 2789
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by MMFrLife »

Bob_m_54 wrote:The best file structure is the one that works best for you.
Amen!
Bob_m_54 wrote:I also embed covers for all my tracks, at 500X500 pixels. They only add between 50K and 100K to each of the files, so no biggie for files that are generally 20M to 30M anyway.
I like images to be in the 600x600 - 1500x1500 range. :D 8)
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
others: Adv. Dup. Find & Fix and Backup 6.0, but buggy || software for power users: "Q-Dir"
(free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer- "ReNamer" (den4b)
MMW 4.1.31.1919; ...back it up...frequently!
Bob_m_54
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Re: Generating genre from folders

Post by Bob_m_54 »

mmv4 wrote:This is a great forum and MM a great software with only a few problems. My main problem is that I found no way to import the Genre information located in a path to MM automatically. My folder structure: Music/Genre/Artist-Album/Artist-Tracks. The Genre column in MM is empty and I do not want to enter the info manually because it is already in the path name. One idea I had was to change the MM.db directly via data base modification (song list) but this may lead to incompatibility. Any advice is very appreciated.
Actually, I just realised today, an even easier method is
1. Select all tracks you want to populate or edit the "genre" tag
2. Right Click and select "Auto-Tag from Filename"
3. In the "Filename Format" box enter <Genre>\\ (because your genre folder is up 2 levels from the music file)
4. Tick the "Update empty fields only" (bottom left of window) if you only want to fill in the empty genre fields, or leave it unticked if you want to change an incorrect entries as well.
5. Left click on the "OK" button
Done
rivorson
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:17 am

Re: Yet another Autotag from Filename Question

Post by rivorson »

Auto tag from filename effectively works from right to left so you don't need to worry about the start of your path.

The problem is you're trying to tag genre and artist but you have era between the two. You'll need to tell Auto Tag to skip that part. The following should work for you:

Code: Select all

<Genre>\<Skip>\<Title> - <Artist>
Alternatively you could use a custom tag field for era:

Code: Select all

<Genre>\<Custom1>\<Title> - <Artist>
mmediaman
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Yet another Autotag from Filename Question

Post by mmediaman »

Thanks so much for the reply @Rivorson. I'll give it a try and report back.

I just realized I posted this question in the wrong forum. Should have been in MM for Windows. My apologies.
Post Reply