MM reverting to default settings

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Ewan_Hoozami

MM reverting to default settings

Post by Ewan_Hoozami »

Hi

I have this annoying bug where MM (4.1.14.1813 gold Win 10) resets itself to the ghastly default skin and I have to find and reinstall another, then reset my ripping preference, file rename preferences, etc etc.

It doesn't happen all the time, about 3 times in the last 3 weeks, but it's annoying.

Is there some way settings can be saved so I can fix this with a click or two?

thanks
Lowlander

Re: MM reverting to default settings

Post by Lowlander »

Start with updating to MediaMonkey 4.1.15.1830 and make sure that no Backup/Cleaning software is restoring old/removing files.

Also see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... eset--lost
Ewan_Hoozami

Post by Ewan_Hoozami »

Hi

This problem is ongoing, it happened again this morning after starting the computer. I installed a new version yesterday (4.1.16.1836). It worked as normal after the update, but now it's reset to standard settings. Is there any solution to this (apart from not updating any more, which I'm going to do until there is a fix)?

thanks
Ewan
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You'll need to capture it in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket so the developers can resolve: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69

Note that a Portable Install is less susceptible to this problem.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Do you use some system Cleaner/Optimizer application like WebRoot?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ewan_Hoozami

Post by Ewan_Hoozami »

Hi Lowlander & Pavle

Thanks for your responses. No, I don't run those cleaner things often, just Wise Care 365 maybe once a year, might have done so last week (though it's saying 188 days since last checkup), but not in the last couple of days.

I changed the default skin to a non-default one this morning then installed the debug version, rebooted, then started MM, which did not revert to the default skin, so no point sending a debug file I guess.

Couldn't find portable windows download on this site, Softpedia has what looks like an old version, but not good ratings, 1 star.

Should I just keep running the debug version, any downside to doing that?

thanks

Ewan
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, this used to happen when MM is started from another account for some reason. e.g. "Run as administrator" takes another AppData folder and thus it looks like the settings were lost. Actually the settings are just taken from another location.

Also sounds that it can be issue like this: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... first-time

Try Start -> Run, type "regedit" and check what value do you have under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Local AppData
Ewan_Hoozami

Post by Ewan_Hoozami »

That could be it Ludek, as I do run as administrator after updates to fix another annoying, well-known bug, the notorious elevator.

So is is possible to solve both bugs, or is it a case of choosing the lesser evil?

Pretty sure its not the Wise Care, as I ran it yesterday to check if it was the cause, and no issues found.

thanks

Ewan
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Ewan_Hoozami wrote:That could be it Ludek, as I do run as administrator after updates to fix another annoying, well-known bug, the notorious elevator.
OK, so I guess that once you are not running MM as administrator then your settings is back, right?
What notorious elevator do you mean? Elevator is needed after install or so but shouldn't popup every time, if this is the case for you could you please generate debug log (item 4b here http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69) to see why this occurs for you?
DungHo

Post by DungHo »

Hi, this is happening to me too for a while now. Seemingly random, after restart all settings revert back to defaults as if i just install media monkey for the first time. Windows 10 user
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Same as explained above, MMW can't delete its own DB and INI file. It can be corrupted due the abnormal close or crash during startup, but not start normally as it was just installed.

Please check if any app on your system optimizes User folder and put MediaMonkey folders to exclude/white list.
Best regards,
Peke
DungHo

Post by DungHo »

thanks, let me look around, i don't think I have any app that optimizes User folder.
Can you tell me which file holds the personal settings? is it MediaMonkey.INI
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MM.DB is Library and MediaMonkey.ini are settings
Best regards,
Peke
DungHo

Post by DungHo »

Thanks. The library is fine after the restart. All the playlist and counters are good. Just settings like skin and others are defaulted back
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Then Check if Registry key or sub keys "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MediaMonkey" is getting reset on restart.
Best regards,
Peke