(Solved) Question about playlists

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mwg47x

(Solved) Question about playlists

Post by mwg47x »

I use auto playlists quite a bit.
I also like to randomize them.
I have them set up by rating and times played.
That way I get to hear all the songs over time without repeats.
When all songs drop out of the list due to the number of times played being incremented, I just set that number one higher in the playlist conditions and start over.
Not a big deal as I have several thousand songs in this list and it takes me months to listen to all of it.
My question is this:

Is there a way to treat two songs as one in a playlist?
Here's an example:

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
Tracks 1 and 2 really need to treated as one song.
The way my playlists work now, track 2 could play and several days/weeks later track 1 will play.
I would like to "bind" them together so they are treated as one song.
Is that possible?
Last edited by mwg47x on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Question about playlists

Post by Lowlander »

sullydks

Post by sullydks »

One approach is to rip the tracks as ONE track in the first place. As well as the individual Floyd tracks, I also rip into ONE FILE, all of "side 1" into a single file, then side 2 and also the whole album. I've done this for most bands with those full 'concept albums', side1/side2 / all etc. You can then choose which to use in playlists.
For AUTO playlists, I've used one of the custom fields to place an identifier that I can use as an exclusion criteria. eg. an X1 or whatever.
mwg47x

Post by mwg47x »

Thanks guys.
Lowlander, the script in that thread seems to work.
I have been farting around with it and while it isn't the cleanest solution, it IS a solution.
Much better than nothing, which is what I had.

Sullydks, that is a good idea when dealing with concept albums.
I may have to rerip some of these and do what you suggest.

Thanks again to both of you. :D
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

What's not "clean" about the Linked Tracks extension? I've been using it for several years for classical music where you normally want to play all the movements of a piece each of which is usually a separate track. Linked tracks allows me to randomize classical pieces and have the whole piece play rather than just a track. I've found it a particularly elegant approach to multi-track pieces; it's one of the main reasons I use MM.
mwg47x wrote:Thanks guys.
Lowlander, the script in that thread seems to work.
I have been farting around with it and while it isn't the cleanest solution, it IS a solution.
Much better than nothing, which is what I had.
mwg47x

Post by mwg47x »

yarguy wrote:What's not "clean" about the Linked Tracks extension? I've been using it for several years for classical music where you normally want to play all the movements of a piece each of which is usually a separate track. Linked tracks allows me to randomize classical pieces and have the whole piece play rather than just a track. I've found it a particularly elegant approach to multi-track pieces; it's one of the main reasons I use MM.
Say two tracks are linked...track 7 and track 8 off album X.
In my random auto playlist, if track 7 comes up before track 8 it works perfectly.
Track 7 plays then track 8 plays regardless of where track 8 was in the playlist.
Just what I want.

However, if track 8 comes up first, it plays track 8 for about two or three seconds, then stops and moves onto the next track.
When track 7 eventually comes around, that track plays then track 8 plays as stated above.

That is what I meant by not "clean".
But I can live with it.