What does volume leveling really do?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

meatsean

What does volume leveling really do?

Post by meatsean »

What does volume leveling really do? The reason I ask is I have the default setting shown above but tracks still play at different volume levels on my headphones. It is frustrating to have to constantly adjust volume. What can I do to remedy this?

I have MM version 4.1.20.1864
Win 10 Pro version 1709
Lowlander

Re: What does volume leveling really do?

Post by Lowlander »

Did you Analyze or Level volume on your files?

If Analyze (recommended), Play > Level Playback Volume needs to be enabled in the main menu in MediaMonkey (assuming connected your headphones with your PC and are using MediaMonkey to play).
meatsean

Post by meatsean »

All files were analyzed and volume leveled at 85db (default setting in MM).

Does that mean that MM will play files up to a maximum of 85db? So if I change volume slider to 85%, MM will play track at 85% of 85db? If files were analyzed and volume leveled, why is MM playing some files “louder” than others. Try listening to “Knowing me knowing you” by ABBA and “I’m not in Love” by 10cc at 100% volume of 85db. The ABBA track is playing much “louder” than 10 CC.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Default is 89dB and you do need Play > Level Playback Volume enabled.

For me it works as expected. My Analyzed files are perceived by me as the same loudness, both for an Album or random Artist play. Tracks with lots of silence, may sound louder though as the volume of the overall track is leveled.

You need to have it level per Track as this will level all tracks to the same volume. If set to per Album the individual volume variances on an Album are preserved.

The dB value you set can be used to overall lower or increase the volume of the files. So if you set it to 95dB instead of 89dB the files will play louder at the same Volume setting.
meatsean

Post by meatsean »

Lowlander wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:23 pm You need to have it level per Track as this will level all tracks to the same volume. If set to per Album the individual volume variances on an Album are preserved.
What are the steps to do that?

Because the steps I did - select all tracks, right click, level track volume - did not work.
Level playback volume is enabled.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need to set this in Tools > Options > Volume Leveling.
Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 »

Sorry to jump into the thread...

Is the leveling feature merely a playback mask in the database; leaving the file itself "intact"?
ssasoft

Post by ssasoft »

You need to have it level per Track as this will level all tracks to the same volume. If set to per Album the individual volume variances on an Album are preserved.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, Analyze Volume is tag only, it's up to the Player to use this (both MMW and MMA can do this).
Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 »

Thanks for the confirm on that, Lowlander. Made sense but just wanted to make sure.
Ryche

Post by Ryche »

Hi all,

I recently discovered the Level Volume tool, and it looks like it could be helpful, as I am experiencing the same issues as the Original Post, both on my laptop MMW (4.1.20.1864) and MMA (1.3.2.0824).

In reading through the thread, it appears everything is set as it should be, both in MMA and MMW. In both cases, the Level Volume option is selected. On MMW, I actually modified the dB level to 92. I run analyze, but it happens quick, and if there is a report/results, of the analysis, I haven't been able to locate it yet. Is there a report, or does it just run and stop?

I know the next step would be to select the Level Track Volume option. Reading the thread, I want to confirm my understanding - the LTV option is just a tag, and it does not modify the actual track file in the music folder on my laptop. Is that correct? Or does it modify the file too (which, would actually be a good thing, as it would have the playback at a constant level).

I just want to confirm what I should do (and the expected results) before actually trying it.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is no report, seeing values for Track Volume and Album Volume confirms that the files have been Analyzed.

Level Volume is unnecessary and will change the audio and can't be undone in MediaMonkey. This is something you'd only want to be done on burning Audio Disc or syncing to a device that doesn't read the tag, but not on the original files.

Make sure you set it to Track Volume instead of Album Volume for Playback as Album Volume keeps volume differences between tracks and make sure Play > Level Playback Volume is enabled in the Main Menu (in MMW). If using MMA make sure the option is enabled AND that MMW synced the files directly to MMA (not using other software to sync, simply copy files in Explorer or syncing from MMW to the SD card directly).
Ryche

Post by Ryche »

Many thanks Lowlander!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

PS. There is no need to Analyze Volume if you use Level Volume. However Analyze Volume is recommended instead of Level Volume.
Willard10s

Post by Willard10s »

I'm obviously late to the thread but will add this.
Applying adjusted track gain at something 95db or less works for me.
I use the a free program to adjust my whole library PC tracks individually. It may be that Mediamonkey PC version is using this tech, but important, you want sound attenuation that adjusts the volumes of the individual track.
Blanket playback leveling on PC, phone or tablet just squishes your sound at 89db or whatever setting is default slightly changing the playback master track EQ if you will.
That's why I use a separate program for all files. Seems like 94.5db is a safe level even if track clipping is still detected by the program.
At 89db you'll find yourself looking for volume on that JBL portable, especially on old converted CD rips. Flip side many new purchased downloaded track are 98db or higher showing big clipping issues that need taming, plus they spike your playback volume madly against lower set tracks. Cheers