Serato DJ & MMW disagree on comments field

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

EinsteinX

Serato DJ & MMW disagree on comments field

Post by EinsteinX »

Hello people,

For well over a decade I've been on WWM and have always loved it ever since I started using it. I did just notice that some people are posting issues with WWM on this forum, but my MMW is running rock solid. I guess that is because I'm using 4.1.25.1895 and rarely update WWM.

The only other software that I use to access my music files is Serato DJ and it seems Serato and WWM are arguing a bit over the comments field. From Serato I edit the comments field with some track info that I need for mixing, but regularly I see old data being added back into the comments field. I'm suspecting that MMW is doing this. When it finds different data in the comments field than it has in it's database it seems to write back the older MMW data from the database to the file. Is that a correct assumption? And if so can I stop MMW from doing so?

I seems to be an issue only in the comments field, because at times I also change a track's genre in Serato and even though I'm not sure, I think MMW accepts the new genre and doesn't write back the old genre.

Eins
Lowlander

Re: Serato DJ & MMW disagree on comments field

Post by Lowlander »

Anytime you change any tag in a file all tags from the database are saved back to the file.

Thus anytime you update files outside of MediaMonkey you need MediaMonkey to rescan them for these changes. This way the Comment gets updated in MediaMonkey too and when you change any other tags the right comment gets saved.

So try rescanning and check that MediaMonkey is picking up the changes. Do make sure that Serato is actually writing the Comment changes to the file and updating the comment instead of adding another Comment tag to the file.
EinsteinX

Post by EinsteinX »

I never did a rescan after editing in Serato. That seems like a good idea.

Tx, Eins
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey like many media managers runs on a database instead of the files tags. This is much faster, but does mean that after editing files tags outside of MediaMonkey that you need to rescan to update the database with those tag changes.

Folder Monitoring can automate this: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... he_Library