Songs Re-found (creating duplicates, breaking playlists) After Restore

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

HumanJHawkins
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:23 pm
Contact:

Songs Re-found (creating duplicates, breaking playlists) After Restore

Post by HumanJHawkins »

I recently needed to clean install my OS. Thankfully, I have good and complete backups of everything. What I did:
  1. Erase drive and clean reinstall Win 10 Pro v2004. The drive was reformatted and changed from MBR/BIOS to GPT/UEFI in the process.
  2. Copy all music files to the same path, on the same physical media as before wipe.
  3. Install MediaMonkey (but not run it)
  4. Go to %appdata% and replace the new MediaMonkey folder with my backup.
  5. Launch MediaMonkey
RESULT:
  • MediaMonkey does not recognize the media as being at the same path, even though it is. (The "C:" part of the path is not understood... I see a box character as though a unicode symbol is not found)
  • MediaMonkey appears to have re-found and added all my music, making copies. As such, all of my smart playlists have both the old (not found) and new (found) copies of music.
  • All of my non-smart playlists are broken, being populated with missing files, even though they are at the same path as before.
Here's a visual:Image

I have tried "Locate Moved/Missing Files", but it does not help. I have my backups, so can wipe and redo the launch of MMW if needed. Any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks.
Lowlander
Posts: 47901
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5
Contact:

Re: Songs Re-found (creating duplicates, breaking playlists) After Restore

Post by Lowlander »

The driveID changed which should've been fixed prior to rescanning: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... n+database

You can still remove the new files from C:\ drive and then execute the Addon on the files on the [] drive.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
HumanJHawkins
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Songs Re-found (creating duplicates, breaking playlists) After Restore

Post by HumanJHawkins »

I appreciate the suggestion, but solved it a different way. For anyone with the same issue, the easiest fix appears to be:

Warning: This assumes the problem occurred after MediaMonkey data and files were restored from a backup that still exists. This will cause data loss if that is not the case.
  1. Quit MediaMonkey. Make sure it's not running in the background/system tray.
  2. Delete the MediaMonkey folder at "%appdata%\roaming".
  3. Rename any folders that are auto scanned for new content... I.e. change "MyMusic" to "MyMusic_off".
  4. Restore your backup of the MediaMonkey folder at "%appdata%\roaming".
  5. Start MediaMonkey.
  6. In prefs (under Options | Library | File Monitor) turn off scanning for new content.
  7. Rename your media folders back to their normal names. ("MyMusic_off" back to "MyMusic")
  8. Use the "Locate Moved/Missing Files" feature under the file menu of MediaMonkey.
  9. Once all your files are found, turn scanning for new content back on.
Thanks.
Post Reply