Using the equaliser

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Robbieboy65

Using the equaliser

Post by Robbieboy65 »

Hi,

I've had Media Monkey for years now, and I've never gotten around to learning how to use the equaliser (the one available through the 'play' tab on the file menu). I have a lot of concert recordings in my MM playlists and I would love to know how to achieve best possible audio quality when I play these back on MM. I have MM on a Windows 10 PC and I have a lifetime 4 X MM licence (hope I got that last bit right).

So I am wondering if either some lovely kind people on this forum can give some handy pointers on how to use the equaliser and what all those bands do, or if there is a user-friendly guide available somewhere on this website that explains how to use it. I've looked for this kind of info on these forums before but never been able to find something that fits the bill for me. Please be patient with me, there are some really, really clever people on these forums but I am not one of those people. The more it can be dumbed down for me, the better. Thanks in advance.
Lowlander

Re: Using the equaliser

Post by Lowlander »

It's subjective and dependent on what you use to listen and what you listen to. Adjust if you feel the need to, and adjust to what sounds pleasing for you, otherwise leave it as is.
Robbieboy65

Post by Robbieboy65 »

Thank you for the advice, Lowlander.
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

I agree with Lowlander. Considering the music I play most often and my particular speakers, I have the equalizer bands set and saved as a preset in a gentle hump profile with the 500 and 1k sliders set to +4 and others tapered down to the 31 and 16k at 0 (zero). This slight emphasis on the midrange pays off for my ears and hardware. You might enjoy experimenting with such a saved preset, and you can still "tune" individual tunes or albums if you want. You can also preset other different profiles for different genres of music, but I gave that up when I found a setting that hit the "sweet spot" for me.
Last edited by GeraldB on Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't afford a signature.
Robbieboy65

Post by Robbieboy65 »

Thank you GeraldB, that’s some really helpful info and just the kind of advice I was after. Obviously we all have different set ups at home and different tastes in music, could I ask in relation to your equaliser settings: what sort of music are your settings geared to? Do you listen predominantly to rock, for example? The reason I ask is that rock tends to be my genre of choice (not always, but generally) so if can find settings that work well for this genre I will be pretty happy. Thanks again.
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

The short answer is "vocals." My (gentle) curve roughly matches the frequency of the human voice. The longer answer is --predominantly country/folk/bluegrass. I haven't had the energy to try different preset profiles for my rock or cajun collections, etc., so I don't have a suggested profile for those, but like Lowlander I encourage you to experiment.
Robbieboy65

Post by Robbieboy65 »

Thank you.
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

Update: I hooked up new, more sophisticated, speakers today and believe they sound best with no equalization. I guess it makes sense that better speakers need less correction. (AudioEngine HD-3s)