Duplicate MM db entries (not duplicate files)

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mondy

Duplicate MM db entries (not duplicate files)

Post by mondy »

Hi,

I had some of my songs located in different folders so thought I'd try to move some of them so they're all together under the main Music folder (by just moving the files in Windows). However this didn't work as I expected as MM didn't match the moved files to what it currently had in it's database.

So I then moved the files back (again in Windows) but now MM has picked up the files again so I now have duplicates entries in my library pointing to the same physical file.

I don't think I can use the remove duplicates option in MM as that looks for physical files, the actual duplicates are in the MM database. I can manually go through and remove the duplicates by ordering it by file path and selecting every other file and removing it from the library, but this will take a long time (there's a few thousand).

Do I have any other option, I wondered if I could edit the back end db but SQLLite-Spy gives an error when I tried that quickly (IUNICODE error), and I couldn't find the dll file that was mentioned in the workaround.

Thanks!
David
mondy

Re: Duplicate MM db entries (not duplicate files)

Post by mondy »

I think I've fixed this now.

Below are the actions I took, if you do this do it on a backup of the database and do so at your own risk!

I found a version of SQLiteSpy that had the MediaMonkey.dll file included (SQLiteSpy_1.9.14).

I then added the MediaMonkey.dll file into the extensions of SQLiteSpy as per the instructions I found.

I then had to drop the delete trigger on the songs table (but made sure I'd copied the create statement first)

Then I could run my SQL query that removed songs with duplicate paths.

Finally I re-created the delete trigger.

Hopefully that helps anyone in future, although I've no guarantee it's worked without issues so run at your own risk! I think removing the relevant trigger on the table should allow other fields to be updated if you get the unknown tokenizer: mm error.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Tip: Use MediaMonkey to move the files to avoid this type of problem: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... enames/4.0
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
mondy

Post by mondy »

Thanks for the tip - I probably should have checked how to do that before I moved them in the first place! At least I know for future now :)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please try to install latest MM5 from viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d as it has option to rebuild library and clear duplicates. Also if they are not cleared you can try to use File -> Manage library -> Rebuild Library + Full text search reindex which should clear them out.

HINT: During install you can select Portable installation so that you do not interfere with current MMW installation.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum