External controller for Mediamonkey (usb plugged)

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

maps

External controller for Mediamonkey (usb plugged)

Post by maps »

Hi all,

The shortcuts to control MM (next song, volume up, play/pause, etc.) conflict with some other applications, and after 10 years using MM, I don't find this way of controlling it super user-friendly anyway (same goes for the right click on the icon).

Does anybody know if an external controller (much like a numpad you would buy to add numbers to your keyboard) which could control MM on Windows, exists? Here is an image of what I have in mind (as advised in moderator Peke's signature I temporarily added spaces to the URL to be able to post it, if a moderator sees it and can correct it: much appreciated): Image

Cheers

Maps
Lowlander

Re: External controller for Mediamonkey (usb plugged)

Post by Lowlander »

Shotcuts can be changed under Tools > Options > Hotkeys.

Media keys on a keyboard that has them should be able to control MediaMonkey.
maps

Post by maps »

Image URL: thanks a lot.
About the shortcuts: true, but as I don't have media keys and I need to press a combination of keys every time, I'm looking for a way to make things even simpler.

For the record I just found such a controller (called Vaydeer) but $60 (including shipment/customs to Europe) is a bit much for this kind of "comfort devices" in my opinion. Any other suggestions welcome
maps

Post by maps »

For anyone interested I found a tutorial on how to make such a device: https://uboopenfactory.univ-brest. fr/Les-Labs/MusicLab/Projets/Arduino-Media-Keys (I added a space again in the URL)

Still looking for finished products though, ready to use.
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

The ShuttlePro should be able do this as any key on it can be programmed with any shortcut for any currently active software. I use it for video editing but also for playing videos with the VLC player. But of course this is even more expensive, like 100 €.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
maps

Post by maps »

That's a nice suggestion: it's more expensive indeed but it does much more, so it's more justified than $60 for the other one imo. As I might need to do video editing as well in the near future, I'll look into it, thank you.

Still if any of you have other suggestions, I'll listen to them
Peke

Post by Peke »

Why don't you just buy USB keyboard for few USD and with little soldering multimeter you can easily make your own controller under 10USD

I have made similar one 8 years ago with added relays, external power to relays for control play/pause functions with just one micro switch connected to Radio Mixer. You can see Device tutorial here.

Note I used only one command, but you can also buy something like this if you do not need USB exclusively and have 24 additional controller keys :)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
maps

Post by maps »

As you wrote it yourself in the video, it's a functionality test more than a tutorial, I have no idea how to make this.

This whole idea came from the fact that one can find many similar devices for under $10 on Amazon (for instance numpads) and, as I was surprised not to find anything to control music, I thought I might not use the correct keywords in my research, I asked for recommendations. But I'm not particularly versed in engineering unfortunately.