Ripped Tracks Not Being Added

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Clevelandkid

Ripped Tracks Not Being Added

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hi,
Just tried to add tracks ripped from a CD into my Media Monkey "Now Playing" Database and found that the tracks did not appear in the Library.
Everything appeared normal as I was able to select and rip my selected tracks from the CD .
I also got a confirming window pop up that the tracks selected were able to be successfully read and ripped, and the CD was extracted from my computer. .
However, when I went to check the library of my Songs , those tracks were not there.
Kind of puzzled as to why were not added to the database .
I have done this hundreds of times before and it was automatically done, but for some reason this time the tracks were not added.
Any Ideas as to why this is happening are greatly appreciated.
Regards,
CK
Lowlander

Re: Ripped Tracks Not Being Added

Post by Lowlander »

Verify using the Entire Library > Location node by browsing to the files folder that they really aren't in MediaMonkey. Maybe you Ripped to a non-Library location? Have you tried to scan for the files?
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Thanks Lowlander, but tracks are still not showing up in the "Now Playing " database. Can't find the tracks anywhere.
Media Monkey does show that the CD Tracks source is D:\
Reloaded the CD into the Computer tray and selected the tracks to be ripped.
Rip CD box is saying "record CD tracks to your hard drive " I am then given the opportunity to select a "destination"
I selected C:\my music\<Genre>\<Year>\<Artist>\ - <Title>
Format selected is MP3

Was this not the correct destination?

Thanks,
CK
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Ripped tracks are not going to be added to the Now Playing, however you should be able to find them in the Music Collection in the Media Tree. Especially using Music > Location should allow you to locate the ripped tracks.

The Destination Mask looks fine (other than \ - <Title> which adds a space dash space in front of the filename. I guess something got removed there: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ormats/4.0

Do the CDs show metadata when you insert them? That is important as MediaMonkey uses this metadata to create the folder/filenames when ripping.
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hi Lowlander,

I did find the name of the CD and the two tracks I Ioaded from CD when following the music>location, so I assume they are in there.

My question is, previously when starting up Media Monkey on my Computer, a general screen would come up showing every song in my Library that I had entered from CD and other sources, The new tracks would always be added to that screen .
I would check under the Artist to make sure the new tracks were added.
The screen would show me the Song Title, Artist, Rating, Album , Year, Genre, File name, Length, Bit rate and the Last date it played.

I haven't been able to get that particular screen to come back up. Back when I was able to , these songs had not been added.
I don't think the data was found when the tracks were ripped from the CD because they were only listed as track number not by song title. However , the Album name and songs were shown when I found them by following " Music> location.
How do I get back to the way it was before ?

Regards, CK
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

My Computer is not the MediaMonkey Library, instead it shows all supported media files on your PC. You need to navigate to the same folder as you found the files under Music > Location to see them.

You may need to tag the files and maybe you want to rename the files to fit the organization you use.
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hi Lowlander,

I can get to Music> location but the format look is different, (squares like Album covers ) can I change that to get to an all "Text" version ?

But meanwhile,
I was able to get back to a screen that showed the same format as described in the above post ( Song Title, Artist, Rating, Album , Year, Genre, File name, Length, Bit rate and the Last date it played ) but it also had other files at the top of my song files list, such as Pictures and Videos that are on my Computer (PC)
Is there a way to delete or remove them from Media Monkey, but not delete them from my PC 's Hard Drive ? I don't want to lose them .
Will just highlighting the files and right click "remove" take them off of my MM Library, but, not remove them from my computer ?
I just use Media Monkey for my song collection.

Regards,
CK
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can change the View to List.

You can't remove files from My Computer as this always shows what's on your computer (thus removing files in My Computer will remove the files from the PC).

You can use Music in the Media Tree instead which requires files to be scanned into the Library, allowing you to choose what's actually in the Library: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ibrary/4.0
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hi Lowlander,

I think I have stumbled onto the Library, ( the tab at the top of the screen says "entire Library" . I also clicked on the "Entire Library " option on the column that runs down the left side of the screen below the "now playing" option. )
All my songs that I have entered over the past several years are there !
When I scroll down through the list of songs titles, I also see the files that I don't want there . ( other files that are on my C:\ such as pictures and videos )
If I right click on each of those files and select remove, will they also be removed from my hard drive ?
Can I select another option like "Send to " to get them off of my Library but still saved on my hard drive?

I don't want to lose those files, just don't want them as part of my Media Monkey song library.

Sorry, I am not very literate about navigating around in the Program and afraid I will click something that will wipe out what I've spent years building.

Thanks,
CK
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you're removing from Entire Library they'll either be removed from the Library or you'll be prompted if you want to remove them from the PC also.

You can try to remove a file and then verify it's still on the PC. Then do it for the other files too.

If files are in a scanned location they'll return after removing. So make sure you're not scanning locations for which files shouldn't be added to MediaMonkey and that files that shouldn't be added are in locations you do want scanned for music.

Send To can Move files, but won't remove them from the MediaMonkey Library.
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hi Lowlander,

Thanks ! I will try one of the Files to see what happens.
I used to just put in a CD and check the list of tracks I wanted to add to the Library, Rip those tracks
and I would then go check the library and I would see them as added.
I don't know if the way I had it set up was accidentally changed or what.

I really don't get to involved in doing a lot of things to the songs in the Library except setting the songs to play at random and have them segue with no pause between tracks.

I would like to know how to make a playlist of all songs by a word like, play all songs with the word "sunshine " in them , or only songs by a particular artist and so on , but that's for another day.
But right now, I am concentrating on just getting the program back to the way it was.

Thanks so much for your guidance !
I will let you know if it is successful.

Best regards, CK
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hi Highlander,

You were right . I tried to remove the files, and I did get the prompt whether I wanted them removed from the library only, or from the Library and Computer.
I chose from the "Library only" for all the files I didn't want in the Library.
It looked like they removed but, when I shut down the Program and restarted it , the files were back.
So I guess they are scanned somewhere.
I think they are in the Computer under Libraries>Videos and under Libraries> Pictures , and a couple are in Libraries >Documents.

I am not sure how to keep them but remove them from being attached to MediaMonkey.

Regards,
Dave
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may have Folder Monitoring enabled on a location that includes this: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... he_Library
Clevelandkid

Post by Clevelandkid »

Hi Lowlander,

I tried to follow the instructions from the link and I made the issue worse .
I now have everything that was on my Windows PC now added as files in the Library.
I had about 7659 files there, and now I have 8313 files.

Still not sure how to eliminate them.

Guess the best thing for me, is to just delete all the files in the Library and start over ?

There is, maybe one saving grace, and that is 99% of the songs in this Library was downloaded into my Phone .
If there is a way to delete the entire library on my Windows Desktop and transfer the songs from my Android phone back into the desktop I may be able to continue with the program.

Regards,
CK