Libraries on portable MM drive

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pokeefe0001

Libraries on portable MM drive

Post by pokeefe0001 »

I'm trying to build a portable MediaMonkey drive that contains MediaMonkey 4, the database, and music libraries. No problem with the first two, but I don't know how update the database to point to the "current drive". The UpdateLocationOfFiles script does not accept %CD%. I've tried putting the library as a top level directory on the drive and pointing to it without drive letter; I've put the library in the Portable directory and tried \Portable\... .

I know I could specify the drive letter currently assigned and insist that drive letter be used on all computers, or I could insist that the user determine the currently assigned drive letter and run UpdateLocationOfFiles but I want this for non-technical users.

Is there some way to do this?
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Multiple Win7 x32, unknown builds
Lowlander

Re: Libraries on portable MM drive

Post by Lowlander »

This should work when you install MediaMonkey as a Portable Install on the drive. Are you sure you did a Portable Install on the the portable drive?
pokeefe0001

Re: Libraries on portable MM drive

Post by pokeefe0001 »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:25 pm This should work when you install MediaMonkey as a Portable Install on the drive. Are you sure you did a Portable Install on the the portable drive?
Actually, I've discovered this worked a lot better than I thought it did, but the documentation was not clear as to how little I needed to do.

I had manually copied manually copied the library to the portable drive and needed to tell the MM database that the path was no longer E:\ but had no idea what the drive letter would be assigned on each different computer using this portable copy. The PC where I was doing the work had assigned G: to the portable drive so I told the UpdateLocationOfFiles script to change the library path from E:\ to G:\.

I then took the portable drive to another computer. It assigned D: to the portable drive and, to my surprise and delight, MediaMonkey had D:\ in the path for the library. MediaMonkey dynamically assigns the drive letter associated with the portable drive once it has been told that the library resides on the device.
MMV4 (1919) Portable
MMW5 (2606) Portable
Multiple Win11 x64 21H2
Multiple Win7 x32, unknown builds