Playlist woes

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Leawildcat

Playlist woes

Post by Leawildcat »

Is there any way to tell which playlists are m3u and which are mmw? I want to make sure I delete the mmw version and not the m3u version on a few playlists that got corrupted and I fixed with notepad+. Plus I have a copy under the playlist node, and 2 copies under the imported playlist node. Some of these playlists have 300+ songs and mmw is driving me crazy and I don't want to dump my database and start over because some of the mmw playlists I want to keep.
Lowlander

Re: Playlist woes

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey stores Playlists within its own database. So there are no MediaMonkey Playlist files on your PC.

Within MediaMonkey you can delete any Playlists you no longer want to keep. No Playlist files will be removed from your PC (even if they were created from imported (M3U) Playlist files).
Leawildcat

Post by Leawildcat »

So just delete from library only then? Oh I know and hate that the playlists are not separate from the database. When I switched computers (hd on the other got fried by lightning) I lost all of my created lists I had not exported to m3u. I have spent the last 2 weeks recreating them. The other thing that drives me crazy about the playlists is it doesn't update the m3u list and I have to re-export it for any new songs I have added.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes

The benefit is that you can move/rename files as much as you want in MediaMonkey without breaking Playlists. Something that happens when using Playlist files instead of storing them in the database.
Leawildcat

Post by Leawildcat »

Thank you. One other observation I made today that is annoying is that if you remove a file, say a duplicate file or convert it from mp4 to mp3, or use auto organize outside of the playlist (in the parent folder) then it gets dropped from the playlist and you have to use something like listfix, to fix the path and then load then restart and rescan for the play list to update.

The other question I have is I have a playlist that has downloaded music, ripped cd music, music converted from other formats, and even some files that were recorded via winamp from vinyl 78s and are played from a jump drive into a radio for my grandmother. I realize the cds and vinyl records should have had the volume leveling done at the time of ripping/recording, but since that is an ardous process, is it better to level the playlist by album or by track? Most of these tracks contain golden age music, so take for example Bing Crosby. The tracks I have from the 78s are louder than the cd I ripped, and the cd tracks are substantially lower than the itunes converted to mp3 tracks. When I analyze the individual albums, I don't get much in the way of leveling, by track or by album, but now that they are all in one playlist I am constantly adjusting the volume. Playing through mmw is okay because I have the volume leveling set by track but is killer playing through anything else or the jump drive. I tried leveling one of the cds but it now has a scratchy/static sound on high points like cymbals or tophats. I have tried 83, 89, and 95 db setting, but just don't understand this enough to get everything a nice smooth volume. Plus I use My Media for Alexa to play my music through the echo dots around the house and it doesn't have volume leveling. And this is why I need to fix it on the mp3 level instead of the tag level.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't recommend leveling, instead I'd recommend using Analyze Volume. This doesn't modify the audio, but calculates the offset in volume and the Player applies this to the volume on playback.

If your Albums have files from varying sources I'd recommend using per Track. Per Track means that all files play at the same volume. When using per Album it will respect the variations in volume on an Album. This means that a softer file on an Album will remain softer. This is a problem if the files on an Album come from various sources (as the volume differences are not as intended by the Artist) and when you play files randomly from different Albums.