MediaMonkey on ubuntu (or linux)

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

Blumbly

MediaMonkey on ubuntu (or linux)

Post by Blumbly »

Not sure if this is in the right topic heading or not.I don't think so sorry if it caused someone extra work.Sorry for that.
One of the biggest things I would like to know is.Is there a MediaMonkey that can run on ubuntu/Linux?
As I've had a lot of problems with windows and have changed my os over.The biggest problem with changing over is I don't want to lost my MediaMonkey.
Does anyone know if there is a version that will run on it?
Or is there some way it can be run on it?
It is just such an awesome program and I really don't want to have to lose it.
Thanks
Blumbly
dtsig

Re: MediaMonkey on ubuntu (or linux)

Post by dtsig »

No .. currently MediaMonkey requires windows. You would use sw to create a VME though not familiar enough with with Linux myself to point you to the best sw.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Regarding future plans,
see here; my last post in particular
Last edited by MMFrLife on Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
George Trench

Post by George Trench »

I personally have 2 Lifetime Gold Licenses bought many many years ago, which basically sit unused with backup windows installations that I rarely open.

I run Linux (Sparkylinux - based on Debian Testing - with Enlightenment) and I too very much missed MediaMonkey.

I have found GMusicBrowser to be an acceptable alternative until such time as I can use MM on linux.
I basically followed VastOne's instructions on CrunchBang (crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=20323) using the Z_ICE_V0.2 for the player window layout.
It's not MediaMonkey, but quite usable for large collections until such time as MediaMonkey arrives for Linux.
Hope it helps in the meantime

Luck
Melvelet

Post by Melvelet »

I have been using MM on Ubuntu with WINE for over half a year now, using my old DB with a custom Skin (so it looks decent), Wifi Synch also works (although the profile was created on Windows originally). There's some minor bugs but there's workarounds.
Still hoping for a native Linux version.
Blumbly

Post by Blumbly »

OK Melvelet still only new to Linux how have you manged to get it to work? I'd love to know as I do miss it,but I like windows even less.So I have to stick with it.
Thanks
Blumbly

Post by Blumbly »

OK I got it installed but it just doesn't seem to run.Any help I would be very grateful.
Fiman

Media Monkey on ubuntu (or linux)

Post by Fiman »

Hi all I'm still new to ubuntu but so far loving working with it. I have all but one of my systems working on it now,except for one. The only reason I haven't changed it over is I use it to play my music when I'm working downstairs. Now it is still running windows and the program I use on it is called Media Monkey. Totally awesome media program. Now I've been trying to find something in the ubuntu software section but I'm not finding any program like it.
So I've been searching online and have found on the forum for media monkey a way that it could run. However I've tried that and I can't even find the software that it was talking about,something about (playonlinux) it is called.
So what I wanted to know is anyone aware of a way I can run media-monkey on ubuntu? Please,as then I'd get the best of both worlds. An awesome os and an awesome media program.
I really hope someone can help me with that.
Sorry to sound despeate but I really don't want to lose this program. It really is the bees kness of media software.
Thanks
CosmicKnowledge

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

Any updates on a native Linux version of MM.

I'm done with Windows. Windows 11 is a privacy nightmare and Windows 10 is one step short of that. I'm sure Micro$oft will push every single aspect of Telemetry and MS cloud accounts into Windows 10 retroactively. That's what they did with other versions of Windows to force upgrades and capture into their cloud spy apparatus.
ZekeMX

Post by ZekeMX »

Hello,

Today I was very happy to see that codeweavers crossover had a 5 star on running Mediamonkey 5 and I was going to buy it but it did not work on crossover 22.1, I also tested it using wine 8 64bit.. I mean, it does run but it freezes while tring to play music.

Otherwise I will have to go back to Winamp 5.98 which works fine wine in linux.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Before you try to play anything First try ti Use WAVE OUT plugin in Tools -> options -> Player -> Output plugins.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Friedrich

Post by Friedrich »

ZekeMX wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:25 am I mean, it does run but it freezes while tring to play music.
It does not work with all wine versions. Particularly not with the latest ones.
I tested successfully with wine 7.9 (via playonlinux on debian bookworm) and 5.03 (debian bullseye default).
Others might work as well but I haven't tried them for a while.
And of course other prerequisites have to be installed/enabled:
-i386 architecture (particularly for your graphic card driver)
-the MAD-Plugin (for playing audio)
MM5 (2606)and MM4 (1919) installed and running well on:
Debian 11 KDE, EndeavourOS KDE (wine 7.4 via playonlinux), Win10 64bit
Dancer

Post by Dancer »

I hope that MediaMonkey will be available on Linux in future! At the moment I'm quite happy with Lollypop player. I only use Windows (10) for syncing MMW with MMA, not really for playing music with MMW.
However, MM is the best concerning its many features and UI. Lollypop has a fine decent UI that I like also very much.
It is worth trying it.
MMW 5.0.4.2690 beta Gold on WIN 10-64Bit Vers. 22H2
MMA 2.0.0.1080 Pro on Android 12
Vivaldi browser
MMuser78

Post by MMuser78 »

MM on Linux would indeed be great. I switched to Linux right after DSD support (I've been waiting years for that feature) was finally introduced in MM5 as I didn't want to use Win 10 or later - thanks to Microsofts built-in spyware.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As MM core is made in Delphi which unfortunately do not have fully polished compiler will need to wait a bit.

NOTE: I have successfully built several Multi platform projects on Delphi and while Win and MAC versions do not need much changes I had to make several more workarounds in order to make it work on Linux and even then some distributions are making me issues. It is getting there, but not yet fully ready.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts