Why some Lower decibel tracks sounds louder than higher db & multiple basic queries.

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

manaswin

Why some Lower decibel tracks sounds louder than higher db & multiple basic queries.

Post by manaswin »

I was comparing two versions of same album which was ripped in different period. However source was same but earlier ripped tracks was -7.7 and newer rip came analysed as -3.7. (My default is 89) But while listening -7.7 produced louder sound than -3.7. Why and how it is.

Similarly sometimes I found same album two versions of same album one is louder other is little quite. What is best practice to select better album to keep in collection.

Sometimes 320kbps sounds quitter than 192kbps and confuses which version should be retained.

What is standard track level to keep in collection? I suppose -1db to -6db is better, correct me if I am wrong.

Please share your views on these basic queries....
Peke

Re: Why some Lower decibel tracks sounds louder than higher db & multiple basic queries.

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Have you tried to switch Playback Leveling from Album to Track?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
manaswin

Re: Why some Lower decibel tracks sounds louder than higher db & multiple basic queries.

Post by manaswin »

Playback Leveling is not what I am trying to understand. That is good feature and I often switch Playback Level Album to track / vice versa depends on playlist/collection playing, No confusion on that point.

My query is generic in nature trying to explain again :
I was comparing two versions of same album which was ripped in different period. However source was same but earlier ripped tracks was -7.7 and newer rip came analysed as -3.7. (My default is 89) But while listening -7.7 produced louder sound than -3.7. Why and how it is. (Obviously, this is without Playback Leveling, After Playback Leveling enabled both sounds 'almost' same).
- So my query is why same album ripped multiple times produced different volume level. (Possible answer is change in rip settings but afa I remember settings are also same)

While comparing two similar albums, Sometimes I found one version is louder other is little quite. What is best practice to retain better album in collection. Shall I delete louder one or quite one?

Sometimes 320kbps sounds low (quite) than 192kbps. In such case shall I keep 320kbps which is better in bitrate term but sound quality is low or retain 192kbps version which is low in bitrate term but produced good sound quality?

What is standard track level to keep in collection? I suppose -1db to -6db is better, correct me if I am wrong.

In normal case a track analysed as -11db should produced lower sound quality [since gross db is 78db (89db-11db=78db)] AND the track analysed as -3db should produced louder sound quality [since gross db is 87db (89db-3db=86db)]. Is it true?

Please share your views...
manaswin

Post by manaswin »

Anyone> suggestion? any input.. @peke?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please upload somewhere two tracks with observing problem and Send me DL links in PM for me to analyze and let you know what and why?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
manaswin

Post by manaswin »

I will submit such tracks soon, meanwhile if possible share your views on other generic queries. I have to archive my collection that's why those points are important to understand. I am also trying to read relevant forums but unable to find specific answers.