How to move ratings/playcount into MM from iPod?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Jancy

How to move ratings/playcount into MM from iPod?

Post by Jancy »

MediaMoney is working with my iPod, and it can see the ratings and playcounts. But when I import the songs to the PC, it loses those items.

I know Apple puts ratings in a different place, so I need to import into the ID3 metadata. And I know MM uses its own playcounts, so I need to override that data. I just don't know how to do these things.

I have spent a week reading and searching, but haven't found how to do this part. So really appreciate the help.
Lowlander

Re: How to move ratings/playcount into MM from iPod?

Post by Lowlander »

How do you import? As Apple uses it's own proprietary system you'll need to Sync with MediaMonkey to get information back to MM.
Jancy

Post by Jancy »

I should have mentioned that iTunes has never been installed on this computer. So I am just trying to pull the song and information out, and then have MM manage things.

So, when I imported I clicked on the iPod under devices and services in MM. Then selected all songs, then used Auto Organize files to copy the songs to the computer.

I want to be careful with any sync, because I don't have a backup so if MM overwrites any info on the iPod, it will be gone forever.

Thanks for responding.
Jancy

Post by Jancy »

When I look at syncing, all I see is from library to device. I need to sync from device to library, or device to hard drive, then pull into library. So I don't see how to sync. Keep in mind my MM library is mostly blank, as it only has some songs I tried to use Auto organize to bring over, which didn't pull the ratings and play counts. And if it helps, I can delete or reset the MM library, as the goal is to get the songs from the iPod into MM.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Jancy

Post by Jancy »

OK, following that link and the various options.

1. From within MM I can only sync from MM to the iPod. So using "sync" I can't seem to get the iPod ratings or play counts out.
1.a This menu choice is not available - "Click Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags, so that tags of the selected files are updated to match the device’s database." Maybe this is the missing piece? If so, I don't see the option anywhere.
2. If I copy and paste, I lose the ratings and play counts since only the id3 and song get pulled.
3. If I use auto-organize I can have that put the rating and play count as part of the file name. But so far I don't see a way for MM to pull info out of the file name. I have tried a few other id3 tag programs, but no luck so far. Still searching as getting it in the file name is as close as I have gotten.

MM has a Tool to auto tag from filename, but on the list of fields I don't see rating or play count. If it did/does have these then this might work.

I find this strange, as I would think this would be a common thing to want to do, and thus a common problem with a known solution, or known that it is impossible. Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks for the help, but still stuck.
Femme_Fatale

Post by Femme_Fatale »

Has anyone found any solution to this? I've been wanting to do this for a couple of months now before I reformat my iPod library to put in a bunch of new songs.
JohnnyLeven

Post by JohnnyLeven »

I haven't found a way to move playcount, but a hacky way to move ratings is to:
1. Sort by rating in MM for the files on your iPod
2. Highlight all of the files of the same rating
3. Right click and set the same rating using "My Rating"
4. Now when you copy them from the iPod, the rating will be maintained
Last edited by JohnnyLeven on Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.