[MM2-4] Syncing Ratings from/to Sansa/Rockbox

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

onkel_enno

Re: [MM2+3] Syncing Ratings from/to SanDisk Sansa/Rockbox

Post by onkel_enno »

First of all SansaMonkey was designed for Sandisk Sansa e2xxx/Rockbox, because I have/use this player.
If you have a M2xx or Fuze, you can ask me if it is possible to add support for that.
I'm in contact with someone who ownes a Fuze and who wanted to send me some sample files, but until now I didn't receive anything so it could take some time. But it is possible.
I don't know if it's possible to add support for the M250. Contact me via the Thanks-Button in the Program. But I'm in vacation next week.

@BryanKitts
If you recreate the database, export the ratings first, rebuild and import the ratings again (under Settings - Database), but I think Playcounter get lost.

With Rockbox:
I got these Memory Error yesterday too but could'nt repeat it today. In my eyes it is not an error of SansaMonkey ;)
Try not to use the Rockbox-USB-Mode to be sure it has nothing to do with the connection between player and PC.

Finally I'm not that active in that forum anymore because MediaMoney is developing into a direction I don't understand (2.5 was so nice and stable). So if you have questions which are not answered in time here, contact me again via the Thanks-Button in the Application.

Enrico
Brock

Post by Brock »

I thought the new versions of rockbox would have allowed us to use the e200 series in mtp mode and sync ratings that way but it's not looking good. Anyone able to get ratings to work w/o sansamonkey? Starting to think rockbox is more trouble than it's worth!
PromisedPlanet

Post by PromisedPlanet »

onkel_enno wrote: With Rockbox:
I got these Memory Error yesterday too but could'nt repeat it today. In my eyes it is not an error of SansaMonkey ;)
Try not to use the Rockbox-USB-Mode to be sure it has nothing to do with the connection between player and PC.Enrico
I'm also getting an "out of memory" error.

Could you explain what you mean by "rockbox USB mode"?

Thanks.
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

Are you using Rockbox?
If yes, switch off your Sansa, connect the USB-Cable, wait until the original Firmware is loaded and the player is recognized as Drive and start SansaMonkey.
If not, I don't know a solution at the moment as I don't have this error anymore, but please let me know that I can check it again in that case.
PromisedPlanet

Post by PromisedPlanet »

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm using Rockbox.

I am now booted into the original Sansa firmware with USB attached, have re-run SansaMonkey, and got the same "out of memory" error.

Then I unchecked "Rockbox Database", and it appeared to work, but my song ratings on Rockbox were unchanged, I assume because it updated the original Sansa's database, not Rockbox's.

So is there no way to actually update the Rockbox song ratings?
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

I uploaded a new Version which should fix the problem with the Out-Of-Memory-Error.
The problem was a changed behavior of deleted files which are still in the database but now with CRC32.
PromisedPlanet

Post by PromisedPlanet »

onkel_enno wrote:I uploaded a new Version which should fix the problem with the Out-Of-Memory-Error.
The problem was a changed behavior of deleted files which are still in the database but now with CRC32.
It works! Thanks! :D
kingsinger

Post by kingsinger »

Apologies if this has been covered before, I just wanted to make sure I understand how SansaMonkey updates play counts from Rockbox.

What workflow do most people use on this? Do you update the play counts and then tell Rockbox to reset them to Zero? Or do you just update them on in MM. If I don't clear the playcounts on the player, what will it do the next time I sync it?

Also, it would be great if there was a way that it could also update the last played date in Media Monkey from the Rockbox database if that date is later.

The reason I ask is that I would love to be able to do with my Sansa and Rockbox what I do with my Ipod Touch and ITunes:

Make smart playlists based on play counts, last play date, date added, etc, put those playlists on the player, get the runtime info, and then when I plug the player in MM, have it update the metadata so the playlists update in MM and can then be sync back to the the player with new music added according to the smart playlist parameters.
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

Playcounter:
You can select with "Reset Play Counter" if SansaMonkey sets the Counter on Rockbox to 0 after Import to Mediamonkey.

LastPlayed:
Didn't have time to realize that but would be a nice feature, I know.
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

@kingsinger
I checked the rockbox tagcache and found out, that there is no timestamp saved for the lastplayed field. There is only saved an incremented value which lets you reconstruct the played order, but not the timestamp, sorry.
one_sun

Post by one_sun »

Is it possible within SansyMonkey to sync back Playcounts from MediaMonkey to Rockbox?
That would be a cool feature to make the sync-functionality perfect.
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

@one_sun
I uploaded a new version with this feature added. Try it and let me know ...

Enrico
one_sun

Playcounts sync back to Rockbox

Post by one_sun »

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

It seems to work :-)
I´ll do more testing during the holidays and give some feedback.

I have made a donation for this great tool and your work, Onkel_Enno.

Merry Christmas to all of you!
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

Thank you Martin :)

Merry Christmas.
one_sun

Post by one_sun »

Hi all!

I had the time to test the new version of SansaMonkey during the holidays.

The Playcounts synching-Back to Rockbox and back to MediaMonkey works like a charm!

BUT I think there should be made a change in the way SansaMonkey syncs Rockbox-Playcounts back MediaMonkey because now it is not possible to use the potential of the new Playcount-Sync:

For example I copy new music to the sansa and sync Ratings and Playcounts to it -> OK.
After a few weeks I want to sync back the new ratings and playcounts from the sansa to MMonkey.
Now, it is not possible to only overwrite the playcounts in MMonkey with the actual playcounts in the sansa. It just adds up and produces wrong playcounts:

E.g. Song1 in MMonkey, Playcount 40 -> Syncing this to Sansa -> there it is also Playcount 40 -> OK
3 Weeks later: in the Sansa-Database Song1 Playcount 44 -> Syncing back to MediaMonkey -> Result would be 88!

I would suggest a new checkbox analog to the "Reset Play Counter"-Option in Tab "MediaMonkey ->Sansa" with the function "Sets the MediaMonkey Playcounter to the value stored in RockBox".

Would this be possible?