Recognizing different SD Cards

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Buruan

Recognizing different SD Cards

Post by Buruan »

I have been trying to synch different types of music to different micro SD cards, but have not figured out how to create separate device profiles for the different cards.

The idea is that i can auto sync to multiple cards, but due to all cards simply being recognized with the device profile, it doesnt work.

Am I missing something or is that not possible?
nohitter151

Re: Recognizing different SD Cards

Post by nohitter151 »

Which plugin are you using to sync? If USB mass, you have to manually create additional plugins.

See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ass#p88322
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Buruan

Post by Buruan »

Thanks.

That does work, but not solve the problem.
I can configure the different SD cards as different devices (using the method of making copies of the plugin), but that only leads to *each* card being detected twice (or however many dlls i have). So I create a profile for a 4gb and a separate profile for a 8gb SD card, now when I plug in either one, *both* profiles activate.

There is no way to have the system identify the cards as different devices.

See also this post from the wish list :
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=53910
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Buruan wrote:Thanks.

That does work, but not solve the problem.
I can configure the different SD cards as different devices (using the method of making copies of the plugin), but that only leads to *each* card being detected twice (or however many dlls i have). So I create a profile for a 4gb and a separate profile for a 8gb SD card, now when I plug in either one, *both* profiles activate.

There is no way to have the system identify the cards as different devices.

See also this post from the wish list :
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=53910
So don't use the drive letter to identify your device, you can use the Drive Label or Drive ID instead. That's why those options are also available.

Buruan

Post by Buruan »

Not making a difference, all SD Cards are identified with the same device ID.
I tried all possible combinations.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Buruan wrote:Not making a difference, all SD Cards are identified with the same device ID.
I tried all possible combinations.
Well if they all have the same ID it's not really a problem of MM. How else can you identify that they are different cards?

Buruan

Post by Buruan »

That holds true for all SD cards, I am not the only one with this problem, see the other post I linked earlier.
Hence I am asking for a solution.

Simply saying this is not a MM problem is not really helpful.

Technically this can be achieved just as described in the other post, have a 2 step process where MM can assign a specific ID to each card, that it can read back the next time the card is inserted.

It can be resolved, but dismissive attitude wont get us there.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

how again are you connecting the cards?

by use of usb or wifi sync?

and also have you tried to connect both cards to the computer at the same time via different usb cords and slots.
and then going in to window's my computer area by the windows explorer or? the window's file manager which ever they are calling it now? after in that location rename each card in the properties for the drive letter they are under?
did that or does that save them as different sized profiles that mm can see.

:-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Buruan

Post by Buruan »

They are connected directly to the SD port of the computer.
And the device id it finds is always the id of the port.

I currently have no way of connecting two at the same time, would need to get a usb SD card interface, worth a try though.

Ill mess around with drive letters, maybe there is a chance.

Still I think the solution I proposed by me and the other guy seems like a worthwhile avenue to pursue, it would help when moving the cards into a phone as well.

Something like MMW would recognice the card from a prior sync and then ask if that sync profile should be used.

Thanks RC.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i use usb to sync my phone sd card, and my sisters phone sd card.

both in the same usb slot. both differently named cards.

the way i said it will infact change the name of the sd card if you leave the card in the phone and sync it.
that way the computer use's the phones info as the id for the sd card.

so mine has rovingcowboy's phone. as the name and each time i plug in to sync that is what monkey shows.
but i'm not really thinking it can remember the exact size partion of the card. just that it is a different device.
you will have to remember the size of the card. and in syncing device options you will have to configure the list to sync
to the device in that way it will also sync the songs to the sd card in the pathway you set up in the device config settings.

but once again its up to you to remember the size of the card. all monkey can remember is the name and the songs in your sync list.

now when you plug in to sync the device will be seen and the name of the device will be shown in the monkey's directroy tree just above the my computer area of the tree. if you go in the my computer area of the tree you are once again in windows control as that is the same as going in to the my computer area icon on your desktop. and monkey can not control that area.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Buruan

Post by Buruan »

I can change the device name in Windows, and it will identify the cards correctly every time in Windows, but MM does not, it always uses both profiles for one card...

Ill delete the dll's and try to redo this whole thing, maybe itll help
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

umm? so monkey is not seeing the different names and posting them in his controlled section of his directory tree?

i know he won't do it in his NON controlled my computer area. but he should list the different names in his section.?

maybe he has them all as the same name in his database now because of all the copys of the dll files? you might be right in needing to remove them and re do it all. i hope that works for you because i'm out of ideas 8)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Buruan wrote:I can change the device name in Windows, and it will identify the cards correctly every time in Windows, but MM does not, it always uses both profiles for one card...

Ill delete the dll's and try to redo this whole thing, maybe itll help
You can also use the "Label" field in the usbmass plugin, I don't see why that wouldn't work.