Questions on syncing playcounts/ratings; MTP

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

supercowpowers

Questions on syncing playcounts/ratings; MTP

Post by supercowpowers »

Hello, I have a few questions about how MM handles synching to portable devices.

First, on which players is MM known to sync ratings, playcount, and last played date/time information? Both ways? Does this work on any player that supports MTP? [Any] iPod?

Second, how does MM reconcile its half-star rating system with devices that only support whole-stars?

Third, and I'm sorry if this question is off-topic, but how has MM been able to implement MTP support? Is it an open spec, in the sense that anybody can implement it free of charge, without a license, and without threat of being sued if Steve Ballmer wakes up on the wrong side of the bed, or is it like the MP3 situation where the the only reason nobody is sued is disregard?
jiri

Post by jiri »

First, on which players is MM known to sync ratings, playcount, and last played date/time information? Both ways? Does this work on any player that supports MTP? [Any] iPod?
It works for all iPods (both ways) and _can_ work for any MTP device supporting this. Note that some MTP devices support this feature only partially, e.g. only one way, etc.
Second, how does MM reconcile its half-star rating system with devices that only support whole-stars?
On synchronization to a device, MM rounds half-star ratings if needed.
Third, and I'm sorry if this question is off-topic, but how has MM been able to implement MTP support?
Windows Media Format SDK lets any developer do this.

Jiri
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

jiri wrote:
It works for all iPods (both ways) and _can_ work for any MTP device supporting this. Note that some MTP devices support this feature only partially, e.g. only one way, etc.
Do you know of any MTP devices that MM does support both ways syncing?
jiri wrote:
On synchronization to a device, MM rounds half-star ratings if needed.
So, I guess you mean it rounds down? So 2.5 stars becomes 2 stars?
jiri

Post by jiri »

Do you know of any MTP devices that MM does support both ways syncing?
I'm not sure if there's any, but MM should support such a device well.
So, I guess you mean it rounds down? So 2.5 stars becomes 2 stars?
Yes.

Jiri
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

What is MTP?
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

This Wikipedia article may help explain it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol
supercowpowers

Thanks...

Post by supercowpowers »

Thanks you all for the replies, that clears up my main concerns with the program.

To follow up, I bought a refurbed Rio Karma after deciding I'd rather have gapless playback than ratings transfer. I just need it to last until some non-defunct manufacturers "get it"...hopefully within this year.
My user name explained