sync folder.jpg to android device

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

jtcs

sync folder.jpg to android device

Post by jtcs »

Tried searching for an answer, but not finding anything conclusive...

All my music is organized with each album containing a folder.jpg image file - no tagged artwork. Browsing the library through MM shows covers, so it's being detected properly, but folder.jpg doesn't get sync'ed to device.

Is there any way to force MM to copy over the folder.jpg into each respective folder without having to tag the artwork into the files themselves?
Lowlander

Re: sync folder.jpg to android device

Post by Lowlander »

Artwork sync settings are in the Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync).
jtcs

Post by jtcs »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:11 am Artwork sync settings are in the Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync).
Yes, but none seem to force MM to copy folder.jpg from folders to the android device.

Summary has no artwork options
Auto-Sync - neither has any options related to artwork
Options >Auto Conversion - I've added all (jpg png etc) as supported Image file type on device - no effect.
Options >File Locations - nothing
Options > Tagging DOES contain some options, but both involve tagging the files themselves with artwork to be read, and then the option to extract said tagged art as folder.jpg (or another name of your choosing)...

I'm looking for a way to simply copy the existing folder.jpg on the drive to the device without having to tag the files with the artwork in the first place.

Is that possible?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If MediaMonkey sees the Artwork that should work. Which version of MediaMonkey are you using?

And yes, you need the option to sync all Artwork to file folders enabled for this to happen.
jtcs

Post by jtcs »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:02 am If MediaMonkey sees the Artwork that should work. Which version of MediaMonkey are you using?

And yes, you need the option to sync all Artwork to file folders enabled for this to happen.
MediaMonkey v4.1.125

I've selected "Sync all Artwork to file folders" with the filename "folder.jpg" specified and tried a sync, no change, which is not unexpected as hovering over "Sync all..." pops up a tooltip which states "Copies tagged Artwork to folders for devices that don't read image tags" - and since my artwork is NOT tagged with artwork (as I use folder.jpg instead), there's nothing for that option to pull from tag and turn into an image file. Which Mediamonkey does see.

Device is using MTP protocol if that makes any difference.
jtcs

Post by jtcs »

Alright, did a bit more digging around on the forums and seemed to have found the answer...

Yes, "Sync all artwork to folders" was indeed the option, regardless of the fact that there was no actual artwork "tagged" in the files themselves - I guess MediaMonkey seeing the artwork in a file (folder.jpg) is inferred as a tag for these purposes.

SOLUTION: the REAL issue was how MediaMonkey handles the sync option. Selecting "Sync all artwork..." will have no effect on media already on the device, only on "new" items that are sync'ed across. Even deleting the media from the device itself will not remedy the situation - you have to ensure that the files are "deleted" from the device itself in the MediaMonkey browser - I assume because of whatever database MM uses to catalog the library. Deleting the files from the device doesn't seem to register with MediaMonkey - even though the item goes through a "scanning device" when plugged in, MediaMonkey doesn't seem to adjust it's internal database.

Anyway, once the files entries were removed from the device from within MediaMonkey itself, it did indeed sync them back across along with the appropriate artwork.

Many thanks to Lowlander for his help on this.

PS:
Bonus drinking game: have a shot every time you read MediaMonkey in this post ;)
Last edited by jtcs on Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Tagged is an Artwork associated with the file, embedded is when an Artwork is saved in the file itself.