Duplicates

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

JamesSWER

Duplicates

Post by JamesSWER »

Hello, My Problem is that I have exactly 13,027 files/files in my library. When I sync device that is empty, I end up w a total of 16019 files/songs on said device.
Peke

Re: Duplicates

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you post screenshots of your Sync Settings for the device? eg. Profile configuration -> Auto-Sync To Device and Options -> File locations

Also do you have Entire Library tree node enabled?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
JamesSWER

Duplicates

Post by JamesSWER »

I need help!!!!!
There are exactly 13,026 songs on MM on PC and there are the same amount in the file folder,also on PC which MM scans from.

There are 15961 songs on my android phone.
On my MM app (on phone also) ,I go to tracks, select all and it also says 15961 songs.
I am doing an wireless sync.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you play both duplicate files and can you tell us if they point to same location on Phone.

Eg. Is it possible that you have duplicates due teh fact that same files are synced to internal Memory and External SDCard.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
CosmicKnowledge

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

Peke wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:35 pm Hi,
Can you play both duplicate files and can you tell us if they point to same location on Phone.

Eg. Is it possible that you have duplicates due teh fact that same files are synced to internal Memory and External SDCard.
I'm having a similar issue. I'm using Autoplaylists such as Classical 3+, Classical 4+, Classical 5, where the numbers signify inclusion onto that playlist by the song's rating. There is overlap of files since Classical 3+ will naturally include anything in Classical 4+ and 5. When the device syncs, 3 copies of a file end up on the device under different filenames.

If a file exists across different playlists, how do you get MM not to make copies of the same file? The resultant Smartplaylist --> M3U8 conversion should point to the same filename rather than point to different duplicate files. A 300GB collection is consuming almost 1TB of space because of this and I can't sync except but to chop out a large number of playlists.
I noticed that when a song is used in various smart playlists, that the same file gets copied over to different named files on the device. So, if the song is used in 5 playlists, there are 5 different copies of that file on the device. This is happening quite a bit since my autoplaylists use ratings (e.g. Classical 3+, Classical 4+, Classical 5). Is there some way to make all the SmartPlaylist --> M3U8 conversions point to the same filename rather than pointing to different filenames? This alone could probably reduce the space required on the device by 200%-300%, since I'm having significant space issues on a 256GB SD card.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you're using Sync you should not get duplicates even though a file is on multiple Playlists. Are you using another method to get the files to the device or using Playlist name as part of the Path for synced files?
CosmicKnowledge

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:08 pm If you're using Sync you should not get duplicates even though a file is on multiple Playlists. Are you using another method to get the files to the device or using Playlist name as part of the Path for synced files?
I'm using MM exclusively. Due to filename problems with syncing to a Sony Walkman A55, I modified the A45 profile from the website so that the file pattern has a flat directory structure. The resultant device file organization is therefore: \MUSIC\<autonumber>.

The playlist name is not used in building the device filesystem.

However, I am using Autoplaylists in MM. I'm syncing autoplaylists to the device, which generates hard coded M3U8 files on the device. This is the primary means of accessing music (artist/genre/etc.) is not useful for the way I use the device (e.g. Workout playlist has songs from all over the place).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Could the duplicates be left over from previous sync efforts? The problem may be <Auto Number> that you mentioned elsewhere.
CosmicKnowledge

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:17 pm Could the duplicates be left over from previous sync efforts? The problem may be <Auto Number> that you mentioned elsewhere.
100% assured it is not. I completely deleted the entire \MUSIC directory off the uSD card since I've been struggling to get the device to read filenames with special characters. I got the device to successfully index all the songs off a small test playlist by simplifying the filenames using only <autonumber> (e.g. "0001.mp3" instead of an exotic filename like "!@Fishheads - Commemorative 'out of jail' edition (&&&1984*#!).mp3").

Since the directory structure is flat (all songs in \MUSIC with no subdirectories), I can sort the files by size in Windows explorer.exe. In some cases, songs are duplicated up to 8 times since that song appears in 8 different auto-playlists. I can listen to the song(s) off the device using VLC and they are indeed duplicates.

It's as if each playlist is processed independently of another and <autonumber> is creating a new numerical reference to the same input file across different playlists.

I wonder if it will overwrite the existing file or create a new file (e.g. song01(1).mp3) if I use a different mask that does not use <autonumber>.......
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I believe because you're creating a unique filename for each occurrence of the same file that it causes the duplication. Flat structure isn't important for duplication, but all copies should have the same filename on sync and you should then only have 1 copy after sync.
CosmicKnowledge

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:38 pm I believe because you're creating a unique filename for each occurrence of the same file that it causes the duplication. Flat structure isn't important for duplication, but all copies should have the same filename on sync and you should then only have 1 copy after sync.
I think that's what the problem was. I created a new hash (mask) that is now

Code: Select all

\Music\<Track#:2>$Left(<Artist>,2)$Left(<Album>,2)$Left(<Title>,2)
which is creating files like 00MAJXIW.mp3. This *should* allow simple enough filenames for the device. I did notice that number of songs to sync went from ~48,000 down to ~15,000.

Now I just need to find out how to program the mask so that special non-alpha characters are not used in filenames since meta-data can be much more freeformed. The player has problems with special characters.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't know if Sync uses [FilenameMappings] from the MediaMonkey.ini, but this is used to change characters to others when doing filename creation in MediaMonkey.