Going to have to Ask : Ipod->PC Sync Ratings/Playcount

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

maxxuk

Going to have to Ask : Ipod->PC Sync Ratings/Playcount

Post by maxxuk »

I've lost a considerable amount of my life trying to do this (no) and try to find out how (still no). I see the odd mention but mostly from 10 years ago and talking of options I don't have. I have MM4 on Win7 laptop + Ipod Classic (6th Gen).

I have been using MM to sync files to the iPod and all that works fine but I have never had ratings or playcounts SYNC BACK to the library on the laptop.

Surely this is possible?
Surely I don't need to go back to that 'orrible iTunes program

Really hoping someone can help me out here

Many Thanks

M.
Peke

Re: Going to have to Ask : Ipod->PC Sync Ratings/Playcount

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Sorry for late answer. This should work from start, but apron Apple limitations only playcounts and last played date are synced (at least for my iPod Touch) Ratings are mostly unsynced due the same limitation.

For Classic it really also depend if you use Apple firmware or some custom one that further complicate sync back. Another thing is that recently we received reports of missed sync with Windows 7.

Unfortunately it is trial and miss because Apple changes format and way to sync very often without any notification or documentation.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
maxxuk

Post by maxxuk »

Peke,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not actually concerned on play counts it's just ratings really.

I am using the Apple firmware.

Does MM still rely on iTunes being installed? I do have it bit haven't updated it in some time.

Also, looking back at some old answers it did appear that someone had developed a script to do this? I appreciate it would be out of MM control but does anyone else know of anything that might do this, that works currently?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Classic is not an iOS device, so it should work without iTunes. Problem is that it is different than other Apple devices.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Syncing rating back frim iPod classic to MediaMonkey should work natively without a need for iTunes being installed.
But you need to copy the files by using Mediamonkey to the iPod Classic at first.

Please do the following test:
1) Download and run DbgView app (see item 4b here https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=7&t=69 )
2) Run MediaMonkey (with iPod plugged into PC) and select one single file in MediaMonkey, right-click > Send to > iPod Classic
3) Rate the newly copied file on the iPod
4) Sync the iPod with MediaMonkey and check the original file in MediaMonkey to see whether rating was updated.

If the rating wasn't updated then save the ceontent from DbgView to a file and ZIP it, and also zip content of your \iPod_Control\iTunes\ folder on the iPod.
Then upload the zipped files to a free file hosting service (DropBox, FileDropper, ..) and share the link to the files with me (e.g. via private message).
maxxuk

Post by maxxuk »

Ludek,

Many thanks, I hope this will work, I had a nightmare last night that I re-installed iTunes - LOL

M.
maxxuk

Post by maxxuk »

Oh dear!

I have bigger problems, seems it has worked in the past (I did check) but there are lots of track that it didn't work on.

In order to make sure I keep ratings (as I don't trust any sync software not to wipe them) I have used the Genre field to 'double-up' and more recently added the month (i.e. "5 1912" for 5* rated in Dec 2019). So I can check star rating against genre.

I took screenshots of all 'mismatches' from the iPod and also looked for mismatches in my library (some of which would have been on iPod also), seems I have well over a thousand songs to go over manually before I can even begin to sort out proper syncing.

I'm now totally frightened to sync anything with anything else as I don't know what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for the help but I'll need to come back in a month or two when I have sorted it all out and taken a full backup.

I do have one problem however that you may be able to help with ...

Is there a way I can JUST copy NEW tracks to my iPod without doing an actual sync? (so no 'syncing' PC to iPod either way - just copy to)

Thanks

PS. When I was reading earlier stuff there was mention of an entry that turned on 2-way syncing of ratings etc. As it was for a much earlier version of the software [I assumed as I didn't have those options in mine] I couldn't check/set - Is there such a setting in 4.1.26.1896 ?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Right click files, Send To > Device to sync (copy) selected files only.
maxxuk

Post by maxxuk »

Thanks Lowlander but I don't appear to have that specific option?

I have this option but that appears to instigate a full sync ?

Or this, which may copy the track to my iPod (G: drive) but does not appear in the library?

M.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Send To > Maxx's iPod is the option you're looking for, it will synchronize the selected files.
maxxuk

Post by maxxuk »

Lowlander,

Ah sorry, it did read as if it would run a sync and it did seem like it was doing it but I had to kill the program as again, I'm currently nervous of syncing fully.

I tried this and it did work, many thanks.

M.
jspollen

Post by jspollen »

Am I correct that a rating assigned to a song on an iphone will not appear in MM when the two are synced?
Jancy

Post by Jancy »

I am having this same issue. On my iPod my songs all have ratings. But when I import to MM only some have ratings. I have never had iTunes installed on this computer. I am just trying to import the songs with metadata including ratings and playcounts from the iPod.