Overwrite on Sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Rob_S

Overwrite on Sync

Post by Rob_S »

I can successfully sync mp3 music manually from my windows 10 laptop from Mediamonkey to my Android phone SD card, and if the file is not already present, it will copy it and all is well.

However, if for example I have updated the tags on the song file in my laptop, and I try to sync it to the phone, it apparently does not copy the newer version, as it thinks the file is already there. So I need to use Windows Explorer to find those files and copy them that way, which works.

Is there a setting anywhere that will cause mediamonkey to overwrite existing song files being sync'ed in every case, or better yet if a more recent file date is present?

Is there a better way to accomplish this?
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Re: Overwrite on Sync

Post by Lowlander »

Please describe how you sync from MMW to your phone. Using Sync it should update files.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Connect Motorola G7 android phone via USB cable, turn on data transfer, phone appears in media monkey tree list.

Select desired songs in "Music" node (or pick one in the now-playing list) right-click, send-to, select the device SD card from the send-to list, and it begins copying. Mediamonkey says copying just above the player. No error message appears.

If song did not exist before, it appears on my device. If song exists already with same filename, it does not get updated.

I only ever want to sync (copy) selected pieces from my collection.

The device is configured to sync to a single music folder, using original song filename, with no conversion.

It is using the d-WMDM.dll plugin
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's not a full Sync, so I'm not sure if it's meant to update using this method.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

So, does anyone know a method to copy/sync files to android device directly from Mediamonkey that will overwrite if already existing?

I would find this very useful.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Full sync between MMW and MMA will update the tags in MMA if they're changed in MMW: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/Sync_M ... oid_device
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I should have made clear that I mean specific selected files.

I have over 10,000 files on my computer, and I only want some of these on my phone.

Unless there is a way to mark or playlist those only those specific files?

Also, traitor that I am, i use Musicolet on the phone, not MMA.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, you can define what gets synced to your device. You can select via Playlists or directly in Collections by selecting things like Artist, Albums, etc.

MMA is not needed for this (it would allow the sync from device to PC of Play History and certain tag changes).
injenuitive

Post by injenuitive »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:53 pm Yes, you can define what gets synced to your device. You can select via Playlists or directly in Collections by selecting things like Artist, Albums, etc.

MMA is not needed for this (it would allow the sync from device to PC of Play History and certain tag changes).
Can you elaborate on what exactly you mean? The wiki is outdated and I have been trying for an hour to locate the menus/options listed for syncing to an SD card and they aren't in MM5 (or they are called something different). Following what I can of that wiki article and selecting the playlist option still gets my entire library copied over to my sd card (which is way more than the 3 playlists of 400 songs I've been trying to get copied).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

See: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... _Device.29

SD card is seen as a separate device by MediaMonkey with its own Device Profile.