[SOLVED] Track number gets mixed up when synchronizing

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Aber.Hallo

[SOLVED] Track number gets mixed up when synchronizing

Post by Aber.Hallo »

Hi there, I'm using media monkey gold for my sony walkman nwz-15 (quite old, but I love it). Never had problems till now when I changed my computer. Now when synchronizing there's two problems:

- some albums do not get classified by 'genre', even if they are very well tagged.

- in some albums the tracks get mixed up. Even if they are well tagged too. And what's really strange: the first track in the album is the '09'. Then 10, 11, etc. Then 01. So it's not even the classical decimal thing.

I already tried literally everything that came to my mind:
- using <Song#:2>, using file name
- first I updated to MM5, then got back to MM4. Nothing changed
- retagging all the tracks
- restart, formate player and SD

Unfortunately I can't check the settings in my old MM, because I already deleted all programs on my old computer. When looking the folders on my Sony Walkman, everything is alright. But then using the player's directory, things get mixed up.

Nothing helped. Does anybody have an idea? Thank you anybody! I got quite desperate. Not being a very orderly person, when it comes to music, I can't stand any disorder. I think you know, what I mean;-)
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Track number gets mixed up when synchronizing

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Perhaps start by running "File" then "Add / Rescan Files in to the Library" from the main menu of Media Monkey 4 on the PC.

Using the "Entire Library" or "Music" node, check that all files have the Disc# and Track# fields. You might want to add a Genre column and check that also.

You will need to use the "Detailed" view of your library. Also, you may need to add the above "columns". Sort by the column if it helps, that way you can get all / any files missing Disc# / Genre / Track# at the top or bottom.

If ALL files have the Disc# and Track# (and Genre) then the following (or similar) "pattern" can be used. This is selected by first selecting the specific device / storage area in the left hand tree then "File Location" under the "Options" tab:

\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Disc#><Track#:2>-<Title>

The "Configure" button on the right can help.

If you able to view the content of the device (after synchronisation is fully complete) then it might be useful to see the files on the device. I am not too familiar with your device but I suspect you should be able to see the contents with Windows Explorer.

Hope this helps.

Sample Screen Shots:
https://octoberclub-my.sharepoint.com/: ... Q?e=IqDb9D

https://octoberclub-my.sharepoint.com/: ... Q?e=CzyNU0

https://octoberclub-my.sharepoint.com/: ... Q?e=uAF1hd

https://octoberclub-my.sharepoint.com/: ... A?e=7Ksq1h
Ian Taylor
Aber.Hallo

Post by Aber.Hallo »

Thank you for your fast answer. I tried, but unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem.

I already thought it was my device, but I tried another mp3 player (an old sony A25) and there was the same problem.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note that MediaMonkey uses Album and Album Artist to define an Album (thus Album Artist needs to be the same for all files). Additionally to Album > Album Artist MediaMonkey also uses Disc# > Track# to define Album sort order. This means that when you're talking about well tagged, the Album, Album Artist, Disc# and Track# need to be tagged correctly.

I don't know what the devices uses for sorting (you may need to read its documentation), but checking these tags on Albums that show sorted incorrectly is a good start.
Aber.Hallo

Post by Aber.Hallo »

Thanks. Everything already tagged. There must be another problem.
Aber.Hallo

Post by Aber.Hallo »

Ok, finally I got it! I had to deinstall MM4 (and as deinstallation wasn't possible right away - I had to reinstall first to fix the program - deinstall - and reinstall a second time - I think the program was damaged). Then deleting all the files and rebuild the library with the files from my HD. Now everything seems to be alright again! (what a fight just to classify my music again...!). Thanks for your advice anyway!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Aber.Hallo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:36 am Ok, finally I got it! I had to deinstall MM4 (and as deinstallation wasn't possible right away - I had to reinstall first to fix the program - deinstall - and reinstall a second time - I think the program was damaged). Then deleting all the files and rebuild the library with the files from my HD. Now everything seems to be alright again! (what a fight just to classify my music again...!). Thanks for your advice anyway!
I can imagine, this was never reported before at least these steps. Thank you for update.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts