iPhone 12 Not Syncing Playlists

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

CharlotteStark

iPhone 12 Not Syncing Playlists

Post by CharlotteStark »

Hi all,

I have been having a TERRIBLE time trying to get my iPhone 12 to sync updated playlists. I have tried:
> Removing the playlist on MM, syncing, then re-adding the playlist
> Deleting the playlist directly from the phone, re-syncing the playlist
> Deleting the files from the playlist, syncing, re-adding
> Deleting the files from the library, syncing, re-adding to library, syncing, re-adding to playlist

The new files ARE in the playlist - when I go to add them again, MM prompts me asking if I'm sure I want to duplicate the files.

Deleting from the phone works - the files go in and out of the library, but when the playlist comes and goes, it is consistently syncing the old version without the new files.

I'm running MM Gold 4.1.31.1919, iOS 14.7.1, iTunes ver 12.11.3.17, and I sync via USB.

Related, when I look at albums on my phone, they often have duplicate track listings. However, when I look up duplicate files in MM desktop, there are no duplicates (both sorting by title and using MM's built in dupe-finding). I have run syncs to delete both unselected tracks AND all other media files, so I'm not sure why I'm still having issues with dupes.

Thanks for your help!
Peke

Re: iPhone 12 Not Syncing Playlists

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I ould suggest that you upgrade to latest MM5 viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86639&sd=d and test again.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
CharlotteStark

Post by CharlotteStark »

Howdy! After updating to MM 5, here's my update:

Syncing post-update did not fix my issue. Songs were still not added.

I updated the title of the playlist (from Songs for Sad Girls to Sad Songs for Sad Girls) and this forced the update. Now I have both the old, non-updated playlist on my phone AND the new one. I tried both syncing with 'remove unselected files' AND 'all other media files' and neither deleted the old playlist.

Not really in LOVE with this work around, considering I have a lot of playlists, and having to rename them just to make sure they are updated and manually delete the older version will be very time consuming.

The new MM also didn't fix my dupe issue. This is twofold - some files are actual dupes (both tracks are titled Destination, and audio for both tracks is Destination) and some are false dupes (both tracks are titled Hayloft, but only audio for one is Hayloft. The other is audio for TribeTwelve explained pt. 2, a completely different track with a different album and artist).

The original TribeTwelve track is still where it's supposed to be and sounds fine...but is also false duped, with the second listing of that title playing an unrelated song by the same artist as Hayloft (but it does not play Hayloft...).

Hayloft does not appear in MM's Duplicate Titles at all, confirming that the files aren't doubled up in the library - just on the phone.

Albums are duped and false duped at random - each have some true and some false.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If all your files are in MediaMonkey, I'd start fresh on the device. Remove everything and Sync again.

Note that by default MediaMonkey does not remove files not in it's Library from devices on Sync. This can be enabled though by switching to delete All other media files: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... _Device.29
CharlotteStark

Post by CharlotteStark »

I'm back! Findings:

> It takes over 24 hours to re-sync my music. I hope this is the last clean sync for a while!
> After a clean sync...I still got BOTH Songs for Sad Girls AND Sad Songs for Sad Girls, despite the former not existing anywhere in my desktop library anymore (visibly, anyway).
> Deleting this playlist from the phone, followed by a sync, brought it right back.
> Despite not being in my list of playlists, when I searched the name of the playlist in MM, it came up. Manually deleting it seems to have vanquished the beast...for now. No idea where it was hiding.
> The fresh sync DID fix the weird duplicate problem - no more phantom dupes!

:D Hope this helps someone else if they have this problem!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

CharlotteStark wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:05 pm> After a clean sync...I still got BOTH Songs for Sad Girls AND Sad Songs for Sad Girls, despite the former not existing anywhere in my desktop library anymore (visibly, anyway).
As indicated before files that are not in MediaMonkey are not removed from the device on Sync with the default settings.