MonkeyToys: VB.NET extension adding MCE remote support

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

GMGJ

Re: MonkeyToys

Post by GMGJ »

I have been trying to use my MCE remote with MM and trying to get SKIP or Next Track to work.
I tried Monekytoys with my Vista Home Premium on a 50 inch plasma (no EDID ie regular monitor information)

My remote came with this board
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit 1128 PCI-Express x1 Interface

I see this in the code

Code: Select all

Function ShellHookProc(ByVal code As Integer, ByVal wParam As IntPtr, ByVal lParam As IntPtr) As Integer
        If code = HSHELL.APPCOMMAND Then
            Dim cmd = CType((lParam.ToInt32() >> 16) And &HFFF, APPCOMMAND)

Select Case cmd
                Case APPCOMMAND.MEDIA_STOP
                    SDB.Player.Stop()
                Case APPCOMMAND.MEDIA_PLAY, APPCOMMAND.MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE, APPCOMMAND.MEDIA_PAUSE
                    PlayPause()
                Case APPCOMMAND.MEDIA_NEXTTRACK, APPCOMMAND.MEDIA_CHANNEL_DOWN
                    SDB.Player.Next()
And I was hoping that it would support Next Track ( >| )in Media Monkey, ie MM default hotkey Ctrl N. Using Monekytoys, but, it skips 3 tracks on my machine.

I have been experimenting with different approaches to getting this capability, like using HIP and other remote control intercept software.

I am passing this on in case it sheds some light on it skipping 3 tracks on my machine. In programming terms, its a SWAG ( Silly Wild Ass Guess )

One thing that worked for me to get next track ( >| ) to work on an MCE remote was to uninstall Monkeytoys and change the default hotkey to CTRL-F.
I go the above clue from this page,

"Retrieving Infrared Commands" at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb417079.aspx.

Thanks for monkeytoys. I would like to get more keys on my MCE remote to work with the monkey.
stax76

Post by stax76 »

The original MS driver sends both appcommand and keydown for next/previous track so I guess I could remove handling the appcommand since MM can handle keydown (it can't handle appcommands). Either modify the source code, remove handling APPCOMMAND.MEDIA_NEXTTRACK and APPCOMMAND.MEDIA_PREVIOUSTRACK and compile it or you modify the MM key mapping to not handle those buttons. If needed I can change the source code and upload a changed version.
GMGJ

Post by GMGJ »

The short story is, would you be so kind as to make the changes and post and updated version?

I tried to build monkeytoys in my Visaul Studio 2005. I am not a VB guy. The first thing I tried was to comment out

Case APPCOMMAND.MEDIA_NEXTTRACK, APPCOMMAND.MEDIA_CHANNEL_DOWN
                    SDB.Player.Next()
                Case APPCOMMAND.MEDIA_PREVIOUSTRACK, APPCOMMAND.MEDIA_CHANNEL_UP
                    SDB.Player.Previous()
I spent 10 minutes of trying to to get the comment and uncomment to show up in my edit window. Then I said, I just delete the lines, Then it starts giving me strict warnings, then ...
then I thought I beg you to do it.
stax76

Post by stax76 »

I've uploaded a changed build now. Regarding compilation, you can build with Visual Studio 2008 or manually which is easy, the .NET Framework 3.5 includes the complete build environment. Just run the following command line:

"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\MSBuild.exe" "D:\Desktop\MonkeyToys\MonkeyToys\MonkeyToys.sln" /t:Rebuild /p:Configuration=Release"
twinbee

Post by twinbee »

Hi Stax, what a neat bunch of mini but useful ideas. Welldone! :) I particularly like the wildcard, 0-9 key rating, and Play/Pause features.

However, on my setup, the latter two don't work yet. It seems to be installed okay, because the wildcard feature is there etc.
MegaDJ v2 - Lightning fast and easy to use search to replace the standard AutoPlaylist. Features include random jukebox style playlists, along with syncing, weighting options, and logic complete querying.
sakurakessho

Post by sakurakessho »

Hmm.. would this work with my HP Media TV tuner remote control that I got with my laptop?
*MM Gold as of 04.23.08*
rogerr

Post by rogerr »

I just tried to install this (had to run as administrator in Vista 32). When I run MM (build 1190) I get the following errors:

Error #-2147024894-
File: "C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Scripts\Auto\MonkeyToys.vbs", Line: 2, Column: 4

"Error Happened during script execution: the system cannot find the file specified"

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?
stax76

Post by stax76 »

@twinbee

Is there maybe a conflict with the MM key mapping?
would this work with my HP Media TV tuner remote control that I got with my laptop
Depends if it's compatible with the MS remote.

@rogerr

I don't have a idea for a possible cause. I've added a manifest however so Vista will request highest privilegs on setup automatically (I've not uploaded it yet).
GMGJ

Post by GMGJ »

My understanding at this time is:

Their are different major versions of the remote:
see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MCE_Remote for an description of the versions. I have heard that outside the US, the colored buttons are used. My remote came with my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit. I have been unable to get this to work with HIP. The remote does what it says; however, my guess is that they took pains to make sure it would do not more. One of the most knowledgeable forums for all home theater based topics is at http://www.avsforum.com/. They have a section on Remote Control.

If anybody knows a simple way to to teach a universal remote simple keystrokes, please post how here. Being able to send and Alt-F, tab etc would be really nice.
metallic_green_bee

Post by metallic_green_bee »

The remote pugin has enabled me to use the Cinedash control on my Acer Aspire 8920G laptop with MM, something that I've been trying to do since the day I got the laptop as the keys don't register under hotkeys preferences, so I'm very greatful! Thanks!

However the skip track buttons don't work. Is there a workaround to get full use of these redundant buttons?
stax76

Post by stax76 »

@metallic_green_bee

Did you try to map it to MM's key mapping? If that don't work then your remote isn't compatible with the MS remote.
faisonjody

Post by faisonjody »

Please excuse my dumb ass, but I've looked all over the place and can't figure out how to install this great sounding extension? Do I need to compile it somehow, or am I having problems because I'm running Vista 64? Also can anyone tell me how to check which version of net frame I'm running?
thank you
GMGJ

Post by GMGJ »

On which version of net you have:
see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785
twinbee

Post by twinbee »

However, on my setup, the latter two don't work yet. It seems to be installed okay, because the wildcard feature is there etc.
Is there maybe a conflict with the MM key mapping?
I had a look under Options -> General -> Hotkeys, and nor 1-9 all the space bar is listed... so I don't think it's a clash.

------------

EDIT: The number keys will actually skip to the corresponding track beginning with that number in MM. It's weird, because these keys aren't listed under the Hotkeys options, even though MM should obviously include them there.
MegaDJ v2 - Lightning fast and easy to use search to replace the standard AutoPlaylist. Features include random jukebox style playlists, along with syncing, weighting options, and logic complete querying.
markontour
Location: Houston, Texas, USA, N America, W Hesmisphere, Earth, Milky Way

Post by markontour »

I can't figure out how to install this extension. Can anyone assist? I just downloaded .net 3.5 & 7zip.

I'm using MM 3.1.0.1196 thanks.
We're all Fool's for something; I'm a Fool for music, what are you a Fool for?

Machines:
1)OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64-based | Phys Mem: 8.00 GB | Processor: AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core, 2200 Mhz