Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Dancindazed

Re: Genre Finder 4.9 - Updated 25/02/2011

Post by Dancindazed »

Update: I apologize for the early review above. I'm going to retry with only Artist selected and disallow the decade in the options and see how it turns out
timelezz

Post by timelezz »

You can make a whitelist for genres? Here a list for inspiration. http://www.sythe.org/showthread.php?t=329841
timelezz

Post by timelezz »

I called one of my Custom lists 'Country'. Here a White list if someone is interested.

Code: Select all

Afghanistan,Akrotiri,Albania,Algeria,American Samoa,Andorra,Angola,Anguilla,Antarctica,Antigua and Barbuda,Argentina,Armenia,Aruba,Ashmore and Cartier Islands,Australia,Austria,Azerbaijan,The Bahamas,Bahrain,Bangladesh,Barbados,Bassas da India,Belarus,Belgium,Belgian=Belgium,Flanders,Belize,Benin,Bermuda,Bhutan,Bolivia,Bosnia and Herzegovina,Botswana,Bouvet Island,Brazil,British Indian Ocean Territory,British Virgin Islands,Brunei,Bulgaria,Burkina Faso,Burma,Burundi,Cambodia,Cameroon,Canada,Cape Verde,Cayman Islands,Central African Republic,Chad,Chile,China,Christmas Island,Clipperton Island,Cocos (Keeling) Islands,Colombia,Comoros,Democratic Republic of the Congo,The Republic of Congo,Cook Islands,Coral Sea Islands,Costa Rica,Cote d'Ivoire,Croatia,Cuba,Cyprus,Czech Republic,Denmark,Dhekelia,Djibouti,Dominica,Dominican Republic,Ecuador,Egypt,El Salvador,Equatorial Guinea,Eritrea,Estonia,Ethiopia,Europa Island,Falkland Islands,Islas Malvinas=Falkland Islands,Faroe Islands,Fiji,Finland,France,French Guiana,French Polynesia,French Southern and Antarctic Lands,Gabon,+Gambia=The Gambia,Gaza Strip,Georgia,Germany,Ghana,Gibraltar,Glorioso Islands,Greece,Greenland,Grenada,Guadeloupe,Guam,Guatemala,Guernsey,Guinea,Guinea-Bissau,Guyana,Haiti,Heard Island and McDonald Islands,Holy See,Vatican City=Holy See,Honduras,Hong Kong,Hungary,Iceland,India,Indonesia,Iran,Iraq,Ireland,Isle of Man,Israel,Italy,Jamaica,Jan Mayen,Japan,Jersey,Jordan,Juan de Nova Island,Kazakhstan,Kenya,Kiribati,North Korea,South Korea,Kuwait,Kyrgyzstan,Laos,Latvia,Lebanon,Lesotho,Liberia,Libya,Liechtenstein,Lithuania,Luxembourg,Macau,Macedonia,Madagascar,Malawi,Malaysia,Maldives,Mali,Malta,Marshall Islands,Martinique,Mauritania,Mauritius,Mayotte,Mexico,Federated States of Micronesia,Moldova,Monaco,Mongolia,Montserrat,Morocco,Mozambique,Namibia,Nauru,Navassa Island,Nepal,Netherlands,Netherlands Antilles,New Caledonia,New Zealand,Nicaragua,Niger,Nigeria,Niue,Norfolk Island,Northern Mariana Islands,
Norway,Oman,Pakistan,Palau,Panama,Papua New Guinea,Paracel Islands,Paraguay,Peru,Philippines,Pitcairn Islands,Poland,Portugal,Puerto Rico,Qatar,Reunion,Romania,Russia,Rwanda,Saint Helena,Saint Kitts and Nevis,Saint Lucia,Saint Pierre and Miquelon,Saint Vincent and the Grenadines,Samoa,San Marino,Sao Tome and Principe,Saudi Arabia,Senegal,Serbia and Montenegro,Seychelles,Sierra Leone,Singapore,Slovakia,Slovenia,Solomon Islands,
Somalia,South Africa,South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands,Spain,Spratly Islands,Sri Lanka,Sudan,Suriname,Svalbard,Swaziland,Sweden,Switzerland,Syria,Taiwan,Tajikistan,Tanzania,Thailand,Timor-Leste,Togo,Tokelau,Tonga,Trinidad and Tobago,Tromelin Island,Tunisia,Turkey,Turkmenistan,Turks and Caicos Islands,Tuvalu,Uganda,Ukraine,United Arab Emirates,United Kingdom,United States,Uruguay,Uzbekistan,Vanuatu,Venezuela,Vietnam,Virgin Islands,Wake Island,Wallis and Futuna,West Bank,Western Sahara,Yemen,Zambia,Zimbabwe
timelezz

Post by timelezz »

Is it possible to search for genres based on who is the Remixer?
odyss3y

Post by odyss3y »

trixmoto wrote:Thanks for the suggestions...

1) I could do this, although it would mean complicated the way the script is currently fired and I'm not sure everyone would want three buttons clogging up their toolbar (including me).
I have to do this often as well and thought what would be more useful is an option that will prioritize the results. If it can't find tags for a song, it will look up the album, if not the album, then the artist. If it finds no results for the song, but finds for the album, it does not go to the artist.

P.S. Thanks for the amazing script! It has made the genre tag useful again!
AJ

Post by AJ »

First of all, I want to thank Trixmoto for this script, as well as for all the others he made available to all of us.

I think this script can be just what I am looking for, if only I can ever learn to use it correctly. I think I need help.
I named my custom fields "genre" hoping I can use them to tag my songs with different genres or even different "levels" of the same genre. For example, genre 1 would be rock, genre 2 would be southern rock and genre 3 could be classic rock. Or pop, or country...
How can I set up genre finder to fill them automatically? So far it keeps returning the same values, so I have "70's" in all 4 fields.
Here's what I am hoping it can do: fill the 1st field and then move on to the 2nd with a different value (or choice of genres) and so on.
Can it be done? And how?

Thanks in advance.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Thank you very much. The script is not designed to work like this, each field is processed individually. It would be extremely difficult (I think!) to add a setting that made it work like this, simply because of the structure of the script and the way it currently works.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
AJ

Post by AJ »

No wonder i wasn't getting anywhere, then.
Well I can still let it choose the genres and then use the ones i find suitable.
Thanks, anyway.
ztsmith

Post by ztsmith »

Just discovered mediamonkey and this awesome genre script. Just have a couple of queries ...
- I want to get values for major genre (grouping), genre, mood, occasion etc. For major genre I only ever want one value, but for the others I want up to 4. I see there is the 'Use top results' option but I guess it applies to all fields? The feature I am looking for here is to set a number of results for each field.
- What happens if no tags can be found for a track? Does it then look for tags by the artist? This is what I would expect to happen but it wouldn't work well if the track had been remixed. A lot of my collection is electronic and is about 50% remixes so is a big issue for me, and others I am sure. Often the remixing artist turns the song into something completely different so that the artist tags aren't very relevant. Ideally the tags could be based on the remix artist. The feature that would accomplish this is an option 'When no results, get tags based on the following field:". The default would be artist.

I would be happy to spend some time coding these features if they are things you would like added to the script. Otherwise if you didn't mind me forking your code and making a personal version I would do that.

Thanks
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Thanks, I'm glad you like the script. Yes, at the moment the script cannot do a different number of values for different fields, it's a script-wide setting. If the tags are not found then nothing happens, it doesn't go to another mode. This has been requested before and I have attempted it before, but it doesn't really fit in with the way that the script runs. Your welcome to give it a crack though! :)
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
ztsmith

Post by ztsmith »

Cool thanks for the speedy reply. I will let you know how I get on.
elliottdp

Post by elliottdp »

I haven't used this script yet. Just downloaded it.

Is there a feature in this script where if the genres assigned are not quite accurate, the process can be reversed?

Sort of like a restore back to the original tagged genres?

Thanks
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

No, there's no built in roll back or undo function. Your best bet would probably be to use a script (such as the RegExp one) to copy your genre tag into another field (such as a Custom field) so you can copy them back if necessary.
npbaudoin

Post by npbaudoin »

AJ wrote:First of all, I want Trixmoto for this script, as well as for all the others he made available to all of us.

I think this script can be just what I am looking for, if only I can ever learn to use it correctly. I think I need help.
I named my custom fields "genre" hoping I can use them to tag my songs with different genres or even different "levels" of the same genre. For example, genre 1 would be rock, genre 2 would be southern rock and genre 3 could be classic rock. Or pop, or country...
How can I set up genre finder to fill them automatically? So far it keeps returning the same values, so I have "70's" in all 4 fields.
Here's what I am hoping it can do: fill the 1st field and then move on to the 2nd with a different value (or choice of genres) and so on.
Can it be done? And how?

Thanks in advance.
AJ, If you could somehow obtain 3 whitelists naming all of your level 1, 2 and 3 genres, you'd be in business. They'd have to be very comprehensive lists, though, and this seems to be the problem I'm running into as well: I can't seem to find any anywhere. If I could only get my hands on one or somehow get the allmusic.com genre tree...
elmerbumpkin

Post by elmerbumpkin »

looks great, thanks!

Is there a script that pulls more of the 'classification' fields from allmusic? (tempo, mood,etc)