Magic Nodes 4.2 w/ 380 masks & real GUI (2011-07-01)[MM2+]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

willyvds

Re: Magic Nodes 4.2 w/ 380 masks & real GUI (2011-07-01)[MM2

Post by willyvds »

Hi Zvezdan,
here are some more results. Maybe you are right twice.

A. Experiment with 2 x SQLiteSpy on 2 PC's plus DB on NAS; open songs node
It takes 13-25 seconds to show all songs. Times vary considerably, but this does not seem to depend on the number of PC's connected to the database.
If we actually open the songs node on both PC's simultaneously, the time is on the upper side (25 sec) - but both PC's come with the correct result, without error message
If one of the PC's disconnects from the DB, performance goes back to normal again

B. Experiment with 2 x SQLiteSpy on 2 PC's plus DB on PC 3; open songs node
It takes 7-9 seconds to show all songs. Not depending on the number of PC's looking at the database.

C. Experiment with 2 x MM on 2 PC's plus DB on NAS; mask: tracks without lyrics (do not show unknown node)
Just 1 PC running MM: it takes 0.43 + 0.01 sec to show the subnodes
2 PC's running MM: it takes 41.58 + 0.00 sec to show the subnodes (100 times as long)
If the second PC is not running MM, but SQLiteSpy connected to the DB, performance also goes down equally
When the second PC stops using MM and SQLiteSSpy, performance does not go back to normal - unless MM is restarted

D. Experiment with 2 x MM on 2 PC's plus DB on PC 3; mask: tracks without lyrics (do not show unknown node)
Just 1 PC running MM: it takes 0.38 + 0.00 sec to show the subnodes
2 PC's running MM: it takes 15.01 + 0.01 sec to show the subnodes

E. Experiment with 2 x MM on 2 PC's plus DB on NAS; autoplaylist "new": show all songs with playcount 0 in a specific order
Just 1 PC running MM: it takes < 1 sec to show the songs; 2 PC's running MM: it takes 30 sec to show the songs
I've repeated this with MM4 testrelease. Here the difference is even bigger (1PC: 1-2 sec, 2 PC's: 60-80 sec).

My conclusions:

1) The NAS
- The query is considerably faster if the DB is on another PC than when it is on the NAS; this applies for MM as well as SQLiteSpy
- This is of course more relevant for longer queries; then the NAS is 2-3 times as slow. It doesn't matter so much if the query takes 0.44 or 0.38 sec, but it does matter if it is 42 sec instead of 15!
- This could be caused by the fact that the NAS is designed for multi-user environments whereas a Windows PC isn't...? I remember that when we used to have the DB on one of our PC's, we did have MM crashes frequently. So this set up may be faster, it maybe isn't safe....
- It could also be a shortcoming of the NAS we have (Western Digital My Book), but I don't have another to test this
2) SQLiteSpy vs MM
- SQLiteSpy performance does not suffer a lot from another PC connected to the same DB; there is some performance drop when both PC's access the DB simultaneously
- MM performance suffers heavily from another PC running MM (or SQLiteSpy) with the same DB; it takes 30 times as much time
- This effect is visible for more complex queries, be it MN or autoplaylists (and possibly other things)

I would like to bring this to the attention of the MM team. What do you think? Should I do another test first? How should I continue?

Thanks for your advise.

Regards, Willy

PS corrected SQLite to SQLiteSpy to avoid confusion; also included additional test results
Last edited by willyvds on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

willyvds wrote:I would like to bring this to the attention of the MM team. What do you think? Should I do another test first? How should I continue?
Of course you should post your results in the bug forum, especially this last experiments. Yes, your NAS is slow, but it is obvious that MM has problem as well. However, I need to ask because from your report I cannot conclude, when you say "Experiment with 2 x SQLIte on 2 PC's plus DB on NAS; open songs node" or (PC 3) - did you tried to open songs node on both computers at the same time? I mean, it doesn't matter that you double clicked that node exactly in the same moment, but that both computers with SQLiteSpy are accessing the database in the same time. BTW, when you post your report in the bug forum you should specify that you have tried SQLiteSpy, since SQLite is the name of the database engine that many programs use, MM among others.

I have one more suggestion. You should try to install the latest MM4 beta, maybe it has better network performance then version that you are using. And one more question which I should have asked on the first place - is there some specific reason why are you storing database on the network drive? Why don't you have two copies of the same database on each computer? If you do this just because you want shared playhistory and/or playlists, then you could use Restore Play History/Date Added/Playlists to merge these data between two databases from time to time. Of course, audio files could/should stay on the NAS, but the location of the database file is obviously critical.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

I've corrected the SQLiteSpy issue in the previous post and included the results for the simultaneous test and the test with MM4.
I thought it is clearer to improve that post than to post the modifications in a new one.

We used to have multiple libraries, but that was also rather troublesome.
We have 4 computers in the house and are both very active users: add songs, update tags, make (auto)playlists, configure/sync mp3 players etc.
So we prefer to have one DB. But indeed: we could limit the editing to 2 PC's (connected to the DB on the NAS) and use a separate copy-DB on the others for mere playing.
That would reduce the need to negotiate who is going to use MM tonight ;-)

I will report my findings in the bugs forum.

Thanks for your help!

Regards, Willy
jamburglar

Post by jamburglar »

Great script. Is there any way to set this script to auto-update upon new releases? I tried 'Find Updates' in the MM4 Extensions window but it didn't seem to recognize that there was an updated version available.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

jamburglar wrote:Is there any way to set this script to auto-update upon new releases? I tried 'Find Updates' in the MM4 Extensions window but it didn't seem to recognize that there was an updated version available.
It works fine for me, I just tried "Find Updates" and MM reported that I could install the new version of the add-on.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
toof4st

Post by toof4st »

I have an issue with Magic Nodes being requeried when you switch tabs in MM4. Don't know if this is an issue with MN or MM4.

If I have a load of magic nodes expanded in tab 1, then switch to tab 2, then switch back to the tab 1, it takes a while to reload tab 1. You can watch the task bar running multiple queries, so it looks like it requeries and reopens all of them.

I have also raised this in MM4 forum.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 41#p305441
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

toof4st wrote:I have an issue with Magic Nodes being requeried when you switch tabs in MM4.
Thanks for the report. However, this is not MN issue, but MM and I answered in the mentioned forum.
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

Are the "tagging inconsistencies" part of MN? I'm not sure about that. Anyway, one of the inconsistencies shows a result that is not always what I expect.

I have a compilation album with the same album artist ("various"). Some songs appear twice, but from different artists. One songs is twice on the album (same title and same artist). I would expect that the "tagging inconsistencies" only shows this 1 double song. That is indeed how the mask generally behaves.

When I select "Albums with ...", "Same artist and track titles" - it shows the expected number of troubled albums (1 on my library).
When I open this album, it shows the expected number of troubled songs (having the same artist and track title), which is 2. Indeed 2 songs on this album have the same title and artist.

However, the node shows 7 troubled songs. Indeed there are 7 songs which appear more than once on this album, but only 1 of them appears twice with the same artist.

Could it be that the songs list does not compare "artist", but "album artist" (whereas the other levels compare "artist")?

Regards, Willy
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

willyvds wrote:Are the "tagging inconsistencies" part of MN?
Well, I am used to the fact that users blame my add-ons even for something that is not their fault. ;)

No, Tagging Inconsistencies are not part of MN, but Bex's add-on that is independent of MN.

By the way, back to your previous problem with the network if you didn't resolve it - do you have the Folder Monitor option turned on, or some similar option that is causing the constant access to the database? If that is the case maybe you could try to disable that option.
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

Thanks, I've posted my question about Tagging Inconsistencies in the proper thread.

By the way: I've switched off all monitoring options, but that does not make a difference. I've posted the slow down issue in the MM forum and they are now looking at it.
Suggestions are of course still welcome!

Regards,
Willy
toof4st

Post by toof4st »

Hi

I wonder if you could enable drag drop onto the unknown node? I would like to be able to use this to clear a tag.

Thanks

toof4st
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

toof4st wrote:I wonder if you could enable drag drop onto the unknown node? I would like to be able to use this to clear a tag.
Sure, why not. I didn't try it - is that behavior have built-in Unknown nodes, e.g. in Artist branch?
toof4st

Post by toof4st »

That would be great. I want to use it for clearing some values in a custom node. I use one custom node as a flag, so store a value "yes" in it. However, I don't want to have both "no" and unknown to mean, no. So rather than setting "no", I would rather set music back to unknown.

Thanks
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

toof4st wrote:I want to use it for clearing some values in a custom node.
You didn't answer to my question, so I tried by myself. MM don't allow drop to the built-in Unknown nodes, so I am not sure if I should add such option because it would be inconsistent with the program behavior. Well, it is already inconsistent, e.g. MN allows drag&drop to the Original Year and Publisher nodes, but MM4 built-in nodes do not. I suppose they forgot to add such possibility after adding these fields to the tree in MM4.

Is there anybody else that want option to drag&drop to the Unknown node? Has anybody asked for that in the Request forum for built-in Unknown nodes?
toof4st

Post by toof4st »

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.
I can appreciate you wanting to match functionality of MM, but is there any reason, you shouldn't you lead rather than follow certain features.
Perhaps, you could add an option in your settings screen, under the allow drag drop option, which allows drag drop for items which are not consistent with MM.