Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

wallymountz

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [M

Post by wallymountz »

Hello ZvezdanD:

Okay, you are correct that I misunderstood you.

I took a screen shot as you requested, but I don't see any way to attach a file. I tried to paste it into this text box, but it will not allow me to do that.

Back to your suggestion for the Old Path. The Old Path only has a drop down box from an arrow and none of those choices matches what you are telling to put there. It is not possible to paste a new path there either, so I don't know what to do.

Here is one full path from the library that will not play: C:\Users\Wally\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey\Owner\Music\Playlists\F04\10cc.m4a

I tried to follow this path in Explorer but the path stops here: C:\Users\Wally\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey

This is where the database is stored. I see now that the DB has increased in size from about 9.1 mb to 12.7 mb.

I then did a search of My PC from Explorer for one word from a song title in my library: rubber. The search says nothing is found. Shouldn't that be contained in the database?
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

wallymountz wrote:I took a screen shot as you requested, but I don't see any way to attach a file.
You could use some Web site for sharing image files like Flickr. Just remember to use the original size of the image without any size reduction when taking its link.
wallymountz wrote:The Old Path only has a drop down box from an arrow and none of those choices matches what you are telling to put there.

The Old path combo box shows all folders from the library that contain references to media files in them or in some of their sub-folders. I told you that you should have specified "C:\Users\Wally\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Users\Wally\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Wally\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Users\Wally\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\" in it, but that should have been done before you updated your library. I really don't know what you did with it in the meantime.
wallymountz wrote:I then did a search of My PC from Explorer for one word from a song title in my library: rubber. The search says nothing is found.
Do you have media files on your drive at all? Where do you have the "10cc.m4a" file stored?

By the way, the media files are not physically contained in the database/library. The database/library contains only references to the media files and those references could mismatch the actual media files if you moved them outside of the program or if you upgrade you drive or change its serial number.

Also, you should not search your PC for words from a Title, but from Filename.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
wallymountz

Post by wallymountz »

I have created a Dropbox with all the information you asked for. I just need your email address to share this with you.

Thank you.

Wally
pb2rdf

Post by pb2rdf »

thks for this script !
Helped me a lot within 1 second to change the path from 1 HD to another HD in the MediaMonkey Database :D :D :D :D :D :D

Peter
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

I'm confused by your "Usage" comments and would appreciate clarification.

Here's the situation:

I have a 1TB external HDD and an instance of Media Monkey on a laptop which has correct paths to those files. All of the contents of that 1TB drive have been copied onto a new, 2TB drive to provide room for future expansion. The MM program doesn't recognize the files on the new 2TB drive, apparently because the drive ID is incorrect. Hence I wish to run your utility but I am uncertain how I tell the "Update Location of Missing Files" program where the files were and where they are now.

The screenshot on the second page of your instructions shows "Old Drive" , "Old PAth" and "New Path". How do I fill these windows with the correct information?

Since the music files already exist on the 2TB or "New Path" I assume I would only check "Update paths in database..."; there is no need to check "Copy files...."

What is the purpose of the "Backup" choice?
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

tom stearns wrote:The screenshot on the second page of your instructions shows "Old Drive" , "Old PAth" and "New Path". How do I fill these windows with the correct information?

Since the music files already exist on the 2TB or "New Path" I assume I would only check "Update paths in database..."; there is no need to check "Copy files...."

What is the purpose of the "Backup" choice?
With the Old drive and Old path combo boxes you should set the old location of files (source) and with the New path text box you should set the new location of files (destination).

The Old drive combo box shows all drives containing media files that are added to the database (Library). When you choose some drive from that combo box, the Old path combo box will be filled with all folders from that drive containing files in the database including all their parent folders until the root of drive.

With the Old path combo box you are choosing the base folder that you want to update.

In the New path text box you should specify the base folder which would replace the old one after applied the Update option.

The Backup button allows you to save a copy of the current (active) database to some safe place.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
banquo

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

Post by banquo »

Hi,
I manually copied my music files from one drive to another and then ran the (free) script to change my library location to the new drive. Both drives are still in the system. MM now recognizes the files at their new location, but it didn’t “forget” the old location like I wanted. E.g., if I search for a song, it’s shown on both drives. Also, I can’t turn off file monitoring for the music folder at the old location. Even though I unticked its box in the file monitor, there’s still a circular arrow symbol next to it, indicating it’s still being monitored.

Any suggestions how I can make MM forget about the old folder location and stop monitoring it? I'm running MM version 4.2.10.1864
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Folder Monitoring is likely why you see the duplication. You need to select the folder on the right side of the Add/Rescan Files dialog and then deselect both options on top (also right side). Left side is selection for manual scanning.

This won't remove the duplication, that can be done by removing the drive from the Collection > Location sub-node.
banquo

Post by banquo »

Ah – I didn’t realize I could remove a Location sub-node; I thought it just showed the whole system. After doing that, not only did the duplicate files disappear, so did the file monitoring problem. All fixed – thanks, Lowlander!
Unsunghero

Post by Unsunghero »

I'm not really sure what question I'm meant to be asking here, but I was told to post here from another board.

I have been a MM user for about 4 years and find it extremely useful (when it works).

I have attempted to follow this tutorial, usually step by step guides are very easy to follow however I'm really struggling with this one it isn't worded very well. I think I saw something about the original poster saying English wasn't their first language and it appears nobody has re-written it.

I have been going around in circles on these forums for the last four hours, being directed to several different things to try but I can still not get my MM copied over properly.

I have followed the tutorial and copied the db settings etc, I have copied my 15,000 tracks to the new computer but can not get MM to recognise them. The tracks will show in MM but will not play. I have followed the tutorial on here 'and added scripts which supposedly do this really easy, but I still don't understand what I'm supposed to do when the dialog box opens.

"Select some missing file with the old drive/path in the main tracklist"
I presume this means to just select a track in the main window, because all my tracks have old drive/path. Or does this mean I have to turn on the column that shows the old drive/path next to the track?

"Select missing drive/folder in the Location"
I have literally no idea what this means? I do not have a missing drive, the drive is there. How can I select a drive that is on another computer?

My Computer branch of the tree panel and choose "Update Location of Files in Database..." from the Tools | Scripts menu, then in the new dialog box select the new path. The old drive/path could be set in the mentioned dialog box as well.

I synced the tags on my old database and then saved the db files etc, copying them to the new computer. Yet it seems that lots of the information on tracks hasn't been saved and transferred over. Is there something I am missing?

I am also getting Access Violation messages on my PC, which is exactly the same problem I have had on my laptop for the last three years. I put something on here about that and although somebody remote connected to my computer several times and even created a special debug MM, they could not find the problem. This Access Violation message is now appearing on my PC.

This is very frustrating and MM has been very difficult to use the last three years, I hate to say it but at this point I'm about ready to return to the awful iTunes to see if I have less problems with that.

Also a way of putting music into MM in the past that I have used is to just drag and drop the music into the main window. Then it copied it to the new location where I specified and deleted the old file in the old location. I can no longer drag anything into MM, has this now disabled?
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Unsunghero wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:56 pm"Select some missing file with the old drive/path in the main tracklist"
I presume this means to just select a track in the main window, because all my tracks have old drive/path. Or does this mean I have to turn on the column that shows the old drive/path next to the track?

I have literally no idea what this means? I do not have a missing drive, the drive is there. How can I select a drive that is on another computer?

My Computer branch of the tree panel and choose "Update Location of Files in Database..." from the Tools | Scripts menu, then in the new dialog box select the new path. The old drive/path could be set in the mentioned dialog box as well.

I synced the tags on my old database and then saved the db files etc, copying them to the new computer. Yet it seems that lots of the information on tracks hasn't been saved and transferred over. Is there something I am missing?
I am sorry, the Update section of the freely available version of the add-on is not updated after the 1.4 release of the add-on. If I remember correctly, I have removed these strange ways to set the default drive in the Old drive combo box. In these new releases after (and including) 1.4 you don't need to select a file in the main filelist or the Location/My Computer nodes in the Media Tree panel. You could (and should) set the old drive using the corresponding combo box in the Update Location dialog box only.

However, as I already wrote in that Usage section, you had the same ability even with the older versions of the add-on, i.e. that mentioned first step with selecting a file/node was just optional. As I wrote: "The old drive/path could be set in the mentioned dialog box as well."

Yes, you have the drive missing from the database or you wouldn't need this add-on. Your media files in the database have locations that point to the old drive with its serial number that is different than the new one, even if they have the same drive letters and/or folder structures. It doesn't matter that the old drive is on another computer, the database still has records about the old drive even after it is removed. Because of that you have grayed out files in the filelist and you need to modify that somehow. That is the sole purpose of this add-on.

Here are excerpts from the Usage section of the enhanced version of the add-on, it has a little better explanation:
"With the Old drive and Old path combo boxes you should set the old location of files (source) and with the New path text box you should set the new location of files (destination). To be able to do update, both locations should be correctly specified."

"The Old drive combo box shows all drives containing media files that are added to the database (Library). When you choose some drive from that combo box, the Old path combo box will be filled with all folders from that drive containing files in the database including all their parent folders until the root of drive. For example, if I have one track in the database which has the path C:\Music\Pink Floyd\Time.mp3, there would be listed 3 items: C:\, C:\Music\ and C:\Music\Pink Floyd\.

"With the Old path combo box you are choosing the base folder that you want to update. This means that you would get updated all files from that folder and its sub(-sub)-folders recursively. This also means that you should select the root of the drive in the Old path combo box if you want to update all files from that drive. For example, if I specify C:\Music\, all files which have that on the begin of the path would be updated, like C:\Music\Pink Floyd\Time.mp3, but not file like C:\My Documents\Pink Floyd\Time.mp3 since it has different base folder."

"In the New path text box you should specify the base folder which would replace the old one after applied the Update option. For example, if the Old path is "c:\Music\" and New path is "d:\Media\My Music\" then all files in the database that have "c:\Music\" on the begin of path will be updated to "d:\Media\My Music\"."
Unsunghero

Post by Unsunghero »

ZvezdanD wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:37 pm
Unsunghero wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:56 pm"Select some missing file with the old drive/path in the main tracklist"

I am sorry, the Update section of the freely available version of the add-on is not updated after the 1.4 release of the add-on. If I remember correctly, I have removed these strange ways to set the default drive in the Old drive combo box. In these new releases after (and including) 1.4 you don't need to select a file in the main filelist or the Location/My Computer nodes in the Media Tree panel. You could (and should) set the old drive using the corresponding combo box in the Update Location dialog box only.

However, as I already wrote in that Usage section, you had the same ability even with the older versions of the add-on, i.e. that mentioned first step with selecting a file/node was just optional. As I wrote: "The old drive/path could be set in the mentioned dialog box as well."

Yes, you have the drive missing from the database or you wouldn't need this add-on. Your media files in the database have locations that point to the old drive with its serial number that is different than the new one, even if they have the same drive letters and/or folder structures. It doesn't matter that the old drive is on another computer, the database still has records about the old drive even after it is removed. Because of that you have grayed out files in the filelist and you need to modify that somehow. That is the sole purpose of this add-on.

Here are excerpts from the Usage section of the enhanced version of the add-on, it has a little better explanation:
"With the Old drive and Old path combo boxes you should set the old location of files (source) and with the New path text box you should set the new location of files (destination). To be able to do update, both locations should be correctly specified."

"The Old drive combo box shows all drives containing media files that are added to the database (Library). When you choose some drive from that combo box, the Old path combo box will be filled with all folders from that drive containing files in the database including all their parent folders until the root of drive. For example, if I have one track in the database which has the path C:\Music\Pink Floyd\Time.mp3, there would be listed 3 items: C:\, C:\Music\ and C:\Music\Pink Floyd\.

"With the Old path combo box you are choosing the base folder that you want to update. This means that you would get updated all files from that folder and its sub(-sub)-folders recursively. This also means that you should select the root of the drive in the Old path combo box if you want to update all files from that drive. For example, if I specify C:\Music\, all files which have that on the begin of the path would be updated, like C:\Music\Pink Floyd\Time.mp3, but not file like C:\My Documents\Pink Floyd\Time.mp3 since it has different base folder."

"In the New path text box you should specify the base folder which would replace the old one after applied the Update option. For example, if the Old path is "c:\Music\" and New path is "d:\Media\My Music\" then all files in the database that have "c:\Music\" on the begin of path will be updated to "d:\Media\My Music\"."
Yes I understand that it doesn't matter if both drive names are the same old and new. Mine are not, I have moved from C:\ on a laptop onto D:\ on my PC. The rest of the file path is the same D:\Users\NAME\Music\

But the drive is not missing, MM is pointing to the same place, this doesn't mean the drive is missing, just that MM does not know the correct place to look.

You say that "you should set the old location of files (source) and with the New path text box you should set the new location of files (destination). To be able to do update, both locations should be correctly specified" What would the correct specification be?

When I load the Update Location of Files script. The only option in 'Old Drive' is: HD: (D:), ID=*******), so obviously I have to select that. The options in 'Old Path', there are about 100 options. It has every possible combination D:\, D:\Users, D:\Users\NAME, D:\Users\NAME\Music\ so on so on, it even has some stupid entries that make no sense, D:\Users\NAME\Music\Users\NAME\Music\Users\NAME\Music\

So I am not sure what to select in this box, I tried the obvious one of D:\Users\NAME\Music\ because this is the route of all the music.

Then you say to enter the destination. Well the destination is D:\Users\NAME\Music\, but when I put this I am told "You have specified the same old and new locations".

My old location was on another computer: C:\Users\NAME\Music\
My new location (where the files have been copied: D:\Users\NAME\Music\
Destination is where the files already are: D:\Users\NAME\Music\

I only have one option for old drive, which is showing as D:\Users\NAME\Music\, which then only gives me the option of D:\ for the old path. Then then new path will also have to be D:\ as that is where they are going.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Unsunghero wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:19 pmWhen I load the Update Location of Files script. The only option in 'Old Drive' is: HD: (D:), ID=*******), so obviously I have to select that. The options in 'Old Path', there are about 100 options. It has every possible combination D:\, D:\Users, D:\Users\NAME, D:\Users\NAME\Music\ so on so on,
You should not select the new, current drive in the Old drive combo box (unless you have moved files from the one base folder to the other one on the same drive). The Old drive combo box should contain the item with your old drive. If it doesn't, your database is somehow messed up. I don't know how, if you want me to examine it, you could pack it with Zip and upload it some public file server as Dropbox.

I already explained what the Old path combo box could contain. The reason why I implemented it in that way is because some users could want to update the location of files for just one specific folder, but not for the full drive. So, I have just filled that combo box with all possible folders from the database that contain media files, either directly in them or in their sub-folders. If you have "some stupid entries that make no sense, D:\Users\NAME\Music\Users\NAME\Music\Users\NAME\Music\" that could mean that you found a bug in the add-on or your database is broken. Which version of the add-on are you using?

If you have only one item in the Old drive combo box and if you told that "You have specified the same old and new locations", my only guess is that you have somehow assigned the same serial number to the D: partition on the new drive that you had on the C: partition of the old drive. There was already reports about the similar problem in this thread (https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 29#p390829) and here is how I answered: "I suppose that the initial problem lies in the drive backup software that you have used to make copies of partitions and its settings. IIRC, such programs change the serial number of copied partitions automatically, and I think that you have disabled that option in your program so you got two drives with the same IDs."

Maybe it could help if you change the serial number of the D: partition on the new drive with some tool like VolumeID by Sysinternals. Please let me know if that resolved the problem.
Unsunghero

Post by Unsunghero »

ZvezdanD wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:41 am
Unsunghero wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:19 pmWhen I load the Update Location of Files script. The only option in 'Old Drive' is: HD: (D:), ID=*******), so obviously I have to select that. The options in 'Old Path', there are about 100 options. It has every possible combination D:\, D:\Users, D:\Users\NAME, D:\Users\NAME\Music\ so on so on,
You should not select the new, current drive in the Old drive combo box (unless you have moved files from the one base folder to the other one on the same drive). The Old drive combo box should contain the item with your old drive. If it doesn't, your database is somehow messed up. I don't know how, if you want me to examine it, you could pack it with Zip and upload it some public file server as Dropbox.

I already explained what the Old path combo box could contain. The reason why I implemented it in that way is because some users could want to update the location of files for just one specific folder, but not for the full drive. So, I have just filled that combo box with all possible folders from the database that contain media files, either directly in them or in their sub-folders. If you have "some stupid entries that make no sense, D:\Users\NAME\Music\Users\NAME\Music\Users\NAME\Music\" that could mean that you found a bug in the add-on or your database is broken. Which version of the add-on are you using?

If you have only one item in the Old drive combo box and if you told that "You have specified the same old and new locations", my only guess is that you have somehow assigned the same serial number to the D: partition on the new drive that you had on the C: partition of the old drive. There was already reports about the similar problem in this thread (https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 29#p390829) and here is how I answered: "I suppose that the initial problem lies in the drive backup software that you have used to make copies of partitions and its settings. IIRC, such programs change the serial number of copied partitions automatically, and I think that you have disabled that option in your program so you got two drives with the same IDs."

Maybe it could help if you change the serial number of the D: partition on the new drive with some tool like VolumeID by Sysinternals. Please let me know if that resolved the problem.
So basically you are saying the script will not work for me? If I am not supposed to select the new current drive in the Old Drive Combo Box, but that is the only option I have, then it will not work? There is nothing else to select.

What do you want me to package and upload on Dropbox? My whole music collection?

I am using v. 1.4.3, the one I was directed to by lowlander. But had already previously tried.

I have not assigned any serial numbers to drives. The D: is not a partition, it is a stand alone drive. It is nothing to do with the old drive, the old drive is still in my laptop.

I have not used any drive backup software, I literally just copied the 15,000 files from my laptop to my PC, I haven't copied partitions, I haven't copied partitions or settings. I just drag and drop copied the files from the old location to the new location.

Is the problem that the files are already in the new location on the new drive?
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Unsunghero wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:58 amSo basically you are saying the script will not work for me? If I am not supposed to select the new current drive in the Old Drive Combo Box, but that is the only option I have, then it will not work? There is nothing else to select.
I didn't say that. I told you what you can try. It was only my guess since I don't know what you did to get the system in its current state. You haven't told me too much how you got that new drive and its content, i.e. which software you did use to copy media files and the rest of partition, also how you got the current MM.db database file and did you do anything to it after you moved files to the new drive.

Here is the simple fact: the message that you got by this add-on could happen only if you have selected the old drive/path that has the same serial number and the path as the new specified path (excluding the drive letter). So, my only conclusion is that your old drive, i.e. the old C: partition, has the same serial number as the new drive, i.e. the new D: partition.
Unsunghero wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:58 amI have not assigned any serial numbers to drives. The D: is not a partition, it is a stand alone drive. It is nothing to do with the old drive, the old drive is still in my laptop.

I have not used any drive backup software, I literally just copied the 15,000 files from my laptop to my PC, I haven't copied partitions, I haven't copied partitions or settings. I just drag and drop copied the files from the old location to the new location.
Every hard disk should be partitioned to be able to use it, it should have at least one partition and it should be formatted using some file system that Windows recognize it. So, yes, the D: drive is a formatted partition. I also suppose that you don't have C: partition on the new drive, i.e. you have Windows system and the software on the mentioned D: partition, right?

Also, every partition on the disk should have a serial number. Maybe you haven't assigned the serial number to your D: partition, but somebody already did. I suppose you got the new disk already formatted, right? If you follow the link that I provided in my previous post, you could see that one user bought a new disk that had a partition with the same serial number as the old one had. How is that possible? Simply, the manufacturer (WD) is using a backup software to create the same partitions on every hard disk that they sell, most probably with a preinstalled software, and their backup software use the same serial number when formatting the partitions.

Go, check it out by yourself. Open Command Prompt, type D:, press Enter, type Dir, press Enter and you will see the serial number of the D: partition. Then go to the old computer and do the same for its C: partition. Then compare their serial numbers. If they are the same, the solution is as I suggested - use the VolumeID tool to change the serial number of your partition: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/volumeid. After that you could use my add-on and you will not get the mentioned message box about the same paths.

However, if you have the new drive with the same serial number as the old one, and the same folder structure to the media files, then I don't know why MediaMonkey cannot recognize these files. Are they grayed out in the MM filelist with the label of the new drive between square brackets [] on the beginning of every path? How about you post a screenshot of the program?
Unsunghero wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:58 amWhat do you want me to package and upload on Dropbox? My whole music collection?
Of course not, I don't want your music collection. I told you, you could pack the database file. The MM.DB database file contains only information about your media files, not your media files themselves. Here is its location, if you have the standard installation of program: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... -ini-files. But first check the serial numbers as I suggested and let me know if they are the same.
Unsunghero wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:58 amIs the problem that the files are already in the new location on the new drive?
No, it is not the problem.