Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

ZvezdanD

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

Post by ZvezdanD »

Davidgoeson wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:57 am Does the addon update Artwork location too in the database?
The Artwork paths are stored in the database as filenames only, without the drive\folders part. It seems that MM allows only artwork files in the same folder with the corresponding media files. So, if you have moved your artwork files together with media files, they should be visible after updating paths of media files in the database.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
ToxicRed

Post by ToxicRed »

Hi! I made an account just to share my experience.

I just transferred my music and MediaMonkey files across 3 drives (2 computers). I followed the instructions in the Wiki which involved copying all of my music files/folders from my first PC to a usb drive, and I also copied my database files. On the new PC I first moved the files to the new location, and then copied my database files into the new MediaMonkey appdata folder. In MediaMonkey, it showed all of my playlists, but the media files were greyed out.

And then I used your script to make everything work. I was confused at whether I needed to check the "update paths" option, but I decided not to.

I entered the old path and my new path, left both check boxes unchecked, and ran the script. In like, 1 second, everything updated and I've got my music and playlists intact! :D :D

THANKS! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

ToxicRed wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:51 am Hi! I made an account just to share my experience.
:) I am glad that you found my script useful.

By the way, the option "Update paths in database only for files that exist at new location" tells the add-on to check if the media files really exist at the specified New path before updating their location in the database. Otherwise, the add-on blindly updates these paths, even if the files are not there.

If that option is turned on, the add-on is checking the existence of each file, which could be time consuming. However, its use is recommended just to be sure that all files are correctly transferred to the new location.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
andyh100

Error running MM_HDD_Serial.vbs script

Post by andyh100 »

Running V 4.1.26.1896 (lifetime licence) in portable mode under Windows 10. I've recently swapped out the hard drive with the program and MP3 collection and now MM shows all music as greyed out. The new drive has the same data structure as the previous one. I already had the MM_HDD_Serial.vbs script on my system from the last hard disk change.

When I try to run it, it immediately comes up with the error:

Error happened during script execution: ActiveX component can't create object: 'SongsDB.SDBApplication'

That has me stumped I'm afraid. Any help will be appreciated.
andyh100

Post by andyh100 »

Prior to my query being moved here I wasn't aware of this particular script.

I've now run it, and now MM successfully sees the MP3 collection on the new hard drive.

So problem solved.
Logan5

Updating Location of Files on New Computer

Post by Logan5 »

I have done this before, but with MM3. I just installed MM4 on a new computer, but when I ran the script to update the database, my files wouldn't play. After running the script, they appeared black, but when I clicked on one to play, the whole list turned gray again. I am also really confused about exactly how to run the script, specifically I don't know which drive to choose for the old drive and old path and which to choose for the new path. I have copied all of my music over from my old computer. It was in a folder called Music on This PC of my old computer. I transfered this to a folder called Music under my username on the new computer. I think this means they are both using the same drive, but I keep hearing references to a D drive? This is very confusing to me.

I know this question might have been answered on here before, but I am a bit "illiterate" when it comes to technology and need things spelled out step by step. Also, reading through the explanation of how to run the script here https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=63823 has only confused me more, unfortunately.
Logan5

Post by Logan5 »

Since my last post was not answered, I will ask simply: how do you know what the old drive is and what the new drive is?
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Their principle is similar with the Find/Replace input boxes in any text editor - with Old you specify what you want to update and with New you specify with which you want that updated.

If you had the old drive in the same computer where is now the new drive, they both could have the same drive letter, but it is most likely that they don't have the same serial number.

The Usage section on the web page of the add-on is more detailed than that on the first post in this thread. You visited that page already when you downloaded the add-on. You can get it opened in your default web browser if you click on the version number displayed in the top-right corner of dialog box of this add-on.
Logan5

Post by Logan5 »

Thank you. I read through that also, but I am still somewhat confused. I transferred all of my media files from my old computer to my new computer. The old drive was C/myusername/Music, and I made a "Music" folder on the C drive of the new computer and put it there. The new computer has my same username, so it seems that the old path and new path will look identical? When I run it, however, even though all of the files are black, as soon as I click on one to play it, it grays out (and all of the other files start to gray out as well). I am still not sure what I am doing wrong. I don't think my new computer has a drive called D. Again, I am not too familiar with technology, so there may be a simple point I am missing. Thank you for your time.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

As I said, even if your old and new drive have the same drive letter and the same folder structure, that doesn't mean that they could be seen by program as the same drive. MediaMonkey differentiate drives by serial numbers, not by drive letters.

Your old and new drives have different serial numbers, unless you copied manually that number to the new drive, which is highly unlikely since you said that you are not familiar with the technology.

This add-on cannot display anything that you don't have. It displays in the Old drive combo box all drives that are already added to your database/Library. These are the same drives that you have displayed in the Location sub-folder of the Entire Library collection.

If you let the program to scan the new drive adding its media files to the old database, you will end up with the database containing duplicates with files both from the old and new drive. This is reason why you should turn off the automatic scanning for new media files after you attach your new drive until you finish with this add-on. I think that I mentioned that fact somewhere.
Logan5

Post by Logan5 »

Thank you so much! That worked, and not only that, it worked very quickly (because I had manually copied my files)! Great program, great explanation for us "technologically challenged" people, and thanks so much for patiently answering my questions!
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

There is new version of the add-on that works with MM v5.
Richstant

Post by Richstant »

Hi, I'm having an issue with this addon. I took the hard drive from an old PC (where it was c:), and put it in the new (where it's d:). I copied the MM appdata folder between the two machines. I installed MM4, installed the script, set things up, and ran it. However all my paths were already D:, but got changed to a square box, and if I try and play them, it fails to play.

If I rerun the script I have two options in 'Old Drive' - C: and not accessible. If I choose c: then 'old path' just lists a couple of random mp3s on my c: drive. If I choose 'not accessible' then 'old path' gives my the folder tree from the old hard drive, beginning with ?:\. If I choose the correct tree there (?:\Users\Family\Music), it tells me I have 11916 media files+15 playlist files, 0 existing + 11931 missing files. If I also set the correct new path (D:\users\family\music) it says my new location has 11930 existing + 1 missing file.

If I run update, it appears to do something, but the path to the mp3s in MM still just shows a square box. Any ideas?

*edit* so I deleted the Appdata folder & copied the old one back over, to start again. All my media is listed with the correct path, and plays fine. Is this normal? I was led to believe that that wouldn't happen?
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

When you report an issue with this add-on it would be helpful if you post the screenshot of its dialog box with your settings and the screenshots of the Media Tree with the Entire Library/Location node expanded before and after applied the add-on.

Also, you should be very specific when mentioning what have you tried. For example, did you try to restart the program after applied the update. Or, did you have turned off the automatic Folder scan before attaching the new disk and applying the add-on.

Most of these things are covered in the Usage section of the add-on's web page and its reading is highly recommended.
jaderson

Post by jaderson »

I have been a Mediamonkey user for 6-7 years now and it has been a vast improvement after using iTunes since the 2000's.
I have a large library (80,000ish songs) I recently upgraded the Drive that my music is stored on to a 5Tb one, and I really don't want to lose all my play counts and playlists.
I figured that if the drive was named the same that it wouldn't know the difference. I had the automatic scan turned on and it duplicated everything. Turned it off, organized it by add date and deleted all the copies and did some research and wound up here. Downloaded the "Update location of Files" extension and after I did it It did not seem to work, the file names are not greyed out anymore but when I go to play them they are "greyed out" in Now Playing" . I soon realized that the file path is the issue. My original drive was copied to an external and then copied onto the new drive so the file tree reads the same as it did before the switch - D:\Jades Music\ but after I Updated using the extension the new path on all my files is D:\Jades Music/Jades Music/Jades Music\Jades Music .. It copied the file within a file as where it thinks it is supposed to go. I think each time I tried to use it it duplicated it again (4 times).
I don't know what I am doing wrong. I messed it up by trying to update a few different times, but why is it making think that it is folders inside of folders with the same name when the actual folder is not set up like that.
I need help!!

How do you add photos on here to share screenshots??