ScrobblerDJ v1.26, Let your music free!!!

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

kulivontot

Post by kulivontot »

So, I'm noticing something with the scrobbler...
I don't have a particularly large library loaded right now, and sometimes when I get a certain artist, there is only one related artist that exists inside my libary, and in turn the only related artist from that second artist is the original referring artist.
So what ends up happening, is the scrobbler keeps adding tracks from the same two artists over and over again since they only references they have are to each other. Sometimes it will even play the same tracks over and over again. Kind of annoying. Especially since it seems to think the strokes and gorillaz are related artists. It seems like the "don't play the same artist for x minutes" feature doesn't work. Having the option not to play the same artist/songs would definitely be a nice feature to have.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The scrobbler script will only work amazingly (like on my machine!) if you have a fairly large collection. It you have only a very select few artists, then you will get a lot of repetition. Try a different seed song!
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

kulivontot wrote:It seems like the "don't play the same artist for x minutes" feature doesn't work. Having the option not to play the same artist/songs would definitely be a nice feature to have.
This option works fine but you must have in mind that Scrobbler reads MM statistics for last played time, this means that you must play at least the 1/3 of the song. If you press next before that then scrobbler has no "memory" of that song being played. In the case that you have only 2 related artists, and if they have played before, then Scrobbler will add a track from the deafult playlist.

But as Trixmoto said, this script works fine with large collections (i quess at least 2000 songs)

As for storing info i na separate database, i guess this would be a handy optio nif Last.FM is offline, but i wouldn't relly my script on that. Last.FM recomendations are updated constantly based on user data. So, that means that every week the related artists list as well as the top tracks list for each artist are different.
Smoooth

Post by Smoooth »

Love this script. Its awesome. :D

One suggestion...I have a fast connection but for some reason I sometimes get a request timeout. It would be nice to retry automatically at a timeout.
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

You can try to increase the timeout value. Open ScrobblerDJ.vbs with notepad and modify the appropiate value (instructions included)
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

psyxonova wrote:Rob,
version 1.1 (which is posted here) has your request implemented (on the Artist level ofcourse, but it would also prevent duplicate tracks from appearing).
Keep in mind that your situation occurs mostly when you listen to some "rare" artists and you library only contains a few other similar artists.
As you may inderstand, ScrobblerDJ is kind of a "chaotic" script since it depends on a lot of things (like your library, last.fm recomendations, your deafult playlist, you settings etc) and it will work quite differently for each user. From my experience it seems like the Script adapts on your musical tastes (considering that those are represented as songs you own from each genre). When yo u get a lot of duplicates that means you are "weak" in the specific genre. Anyway, this shouldnt happen anymore
Thanks for answer, it does help a bit though to be honest I don't mind it picking the same artist again, its just when it picks the same track again.

An example is

First Kiss? - Julian Nott
The Coleman Comedy Hour - Marc Shaiman
First Kiss? - Julian Nott

Despite the fact I had 36 Julian Nott tracks and that one wasn't recommended by Last.fm, it picked the same track. It was like the script didn't vary its random seed. So each time the script was called the first time Rnd would be used it would have the same value. (certainly true in some programming languages where Random in reality is only psuedo random)

Anyway I've upgraded the script and opened the options up for the script by setting the "Default playlist" to "Accessible Tracks".

Error

Post by Guest »

Hey psyxonova, thanks for your time doing this script. I use Last.fm and would love to make this one work.

Error #438 in line 101

Object doesn't support this property or method: SDB.CreateTimer

I have read most of this thread, have the latest version of the script (26/1/2006) and have the free version of MM 2.5.1.934.

I don't know what if the default playlist or were is that setting. Could this be because of that also.

Thanks

Re: Error

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Hey psyxonova, thanks for your time doing this script. I use Last.fm and would love to make this one work.

Error #438 in line 101

Object doesn't support this property or method: SDB.CreateTimer

I have read most of this thread, have the latest version of the script (26/1/2006) and have the free version of MM 2.5.1.934.

I don't know what if the default playlist or were is that setting. Could this be because of that also.

Thanks
Installed the 2.5.2 alpha version and it is working. Thanks!
l0th

Post by l0th »

New mediamonkey user (1 day), first post here and I'm glad it's to report that I'm very pleased with MM, with the scripts I've tried in general, and with this scrobblerdj script in particular.

A couple things though: why add a suggested song only when the last track of the list is played? why not for any song currently playing, wherever it is in the list? Also, adding a song to the list is fine, but it'd be really great if we could get a (short) list of suggested songs we could choose from to queue, say in a smartlist that would update each time a new song is playing.
All this to say: is there any way your script could resemble even more what Amarok does with last.fm recommendations. Check out the "suggested songs" section in Amarok's sidebar on this screenshot.
psyXonova

Post by psyXonova »

l0th wrote:New media monkey user (1 day), first post here and I'm glad it's to report that I'm very pleased with MM, with the scripts I've tried in general, and with this scrobblerdj script in particular.
Welcome to MM community. Glad to see another satisfied user (like I am) :lol:
l0th wrote: A couple things though: why add a suggested song only when the last track of the list is played? why not for any song currently playing, wherever it is in the list? Also, adding a song to the list is fine, but it'd be really great if we could get a (short) list of suggested songs we could choose from to queue, say in a smartlist that would update each time a new song is playing.
This script in its current form works like an AutoDJ. Its main concern is to let you hear music undisturbed, by selecting tracks based on Last.FM recommendations.
In the near future the script will be able to work on demand aka, it would allow you to add recommendations in the now playing list for every track you want.
The smartlist you requested, it has been really popular. Although not sure, perhaps this could also included in future versions. The problem is technical. I cant find how Amarok works but from my knowledge about the last.fm web services there are 3 ways to do it
  1. First option is to download the Top Tracks of each genre (or tag as Last.FM names it). This is a fast option, only one file to download, but it will return a very limited number of results. So i guess this has to be turned down
  2. Second option is to download a list of related artists, then randomly pick a number of them (e.g. 10) and get the track listing from last.fm for each of this artists. This has the advantage of plenty suggestions but the con of speed (have to download 11 files, almost 400k every time). Besides that because of last.fm's terms of use, u cant download more that 1 file per second. That means that it will take at least one second for every artist you search plus the download time
  3. Third option is to download just one file, the one with the related artists, and then the script will pick a random song from your library for each of this artists. This is fast and has a lot of suggestions (on the artist level). This is what i would use, and what Amarok probably uses. Its main con it that Last.FM never recommends tracks to you. So the script will probably end up playing not popular tracks (while in its current form, it tries to play popular tracks)
Would you be satisfied with any of the above solutions? I am not, but that doesn't means i wont try to implement such an option if ppl request it. :lol:
l0th

Post by l0th »

This script in its current form works like an AutoDJ. Its main concern is to let you hear music undisturbed, by selecting tracks based on Last.FM recommendations.
I think the script could do just that (add one new track for each track you play) and display suggestions in some sort of sidebar (whether these suggestions are queued or not is up to the user). That way, you could still listen to music undisturbed, but decide to add recommendations when a track that's currently playing disturbs you in a nice way ;)
Would you be satisfied with any of the above solutions?
I too think Amarok uses option #3 and that it's the best option. I believe that in order to balance the con you mention Amaroks infers the popularity of tracks not from last.fm but from your own library. In the case of Amarok, popularity is based on playcount but I guess that for MM it could be some sort of well balanced mix between a bit of randomness, rating and playcount (and maybe last played).
Personally I think that would be the best solution, because the day you decide to develop the 'display suggested songs' feature you can use popularity from MM db to choose and order these recommendations.
EyeChartBrew

A little frustrated.... (a litle help pls?)

Post by EyeChartBrew »

Love all the work and feedback that is being posted on this -- looks like some awesome stuff is going on here. But I've had zero luck with this so far....

~ Running WinXP, SP2, all patches, etc

~ MM Beta 2.5.2.943

~ I have the ScobblerDJ code at the bottom of my c:\Program Files\Mediamonkey\Scripts\scripts.ini file

~ ScrobblerDJ.vbs is in c:\Program Files\Mediamonkey\Scripts

~ AutoDJ is off

~ Shuffle Play is off

~ I normally listen to all of my music from the Library, but for the heck of it, made a "My_Autoplaylist" (that happened to have all 28,000 tracks from my Library)

~ I can access the ScrobblerDJ on/off function (including the confirmation window et al)

But I get nothing, zero, nada. Songs play one after another, as if the ScobblerDJ wasn't there at all.

A few questions:

~ Is setting up the "defPlaylist = SDB.Localize("Favorites - Top 50")" line in ScobblerDJ.vbs to "defPlaylist = SDB.Localize("My_Autoplaylist")" correct? That's the only line-item that doesn't seem very well documented, IMHO.

~ With other media players (e.g. amarok), I ahd to enter my Last.FM username and password for this sort of functionality. I take it's not required with this app. To put it bluntly, "how come"?

I get the impression I'm missing something silly.... Anybody have any ideas...?
Cheers,
//TB
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

there are 2 scrobbler dj entries in the scripts.ini, did you get both?
Bex

Post by Bex »

@EyeChartBrew
But I get nothing, zero, nada. Songs play one after another, as if the ScobblerDJ wasn't there at all.
It's only when you play the last song in the now playing window that the script adds a song.
~ Is setting up the "defPlaylist = SDB.Localize("Favorites - Top 50")" line in ScobblerDJ.vbs to "defPlaylist = SDB.Localize("My_Autoplaylist")" correct? That's the only line-item that doesn't seem very well documented, IMHO.
You can choose any existing playlist here. A song is added from the playlist only if there was no song found from last.FM

/Bex
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
EyeChartBrew

RE: A little frustrated.... (a litle help pls?)

Post by EyeChartBrew »

Teknojnky wrote:there are 2 scrobbler dj entries in the scripts.ini, did you get both?
Yep, sure did, thanks.
//TB