Import tag info (track titles) from .txt files?

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Import tag info (track titles) from .txt files?

Post by Guest »

I tried searching the forum. I haven't found this specifically addressed, though from related inquiries I'm not optimistic.

I download live shows from the Live Music Archive and other servers. Often these files have no tag info, and typically the files are named something like "GD1977-05-08d1t05" so you can't infer any tag info from them.

The shows do come with a text file that lists all the tunes.

Is there away to import the titles from this file so I don't need to do a whole data entry project? This is particularly pertinent up front, as I have quite a few un-tagged shows in my system already. Once I"m up to date, doing it as a one-off would be no big deal.

has anyone maybe written a script for this??

Thanks!
ResumeMan

That was me

Post by ResumeMan »

Sorry, forgot to log in.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

could you make it a m3u file for the list of title's and make the m3u's url lists all point to the same file.

you do know that an m3u playlist is just a txt file that lists the local url's to the songs.?

so what i am thinking is that you can list them as

title=#1 - hello dolly.
c:\music shows\radio\1930's\amos and andy\ show111222.mp3

not sure how the code for the title would be put in the list
i am not looking at the winamp list's now but they put it in above the url like i did.

that would get you a list of all the songs but they would all point to the same mp3 file.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Mainly this could be done.
Can you post Example of TXT File?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Mainly this could be done.
If possible, a general solution that would be able to import different txt specifications (Trixmoto already made an importing script, but only for one specific output).

ADDITION: Ahaa Peke, I see you're a mod now...
ADDITION 2: Link to MPC txt importer: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7055
Last edited by Steegy on Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Peke

Post by Peke »

:oops: I forgot that :oops:

Edit: I moved this Topic to Scripts And Components as it can be classified to that forum.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ResumeMan

Post by ResumeMan »

Peke wrote:Edit: I moved this Topic to Scripts And Components as it can be classified to that forum.
That would explain why I had a hard time finding the thread again this morning :)

Anyway, here is a typical info file. The problem is that the uploader creates their own files, so the format won't be consistent.
String Cheese Incident
Akumal Performing Arts Center
Akumal, Mexico
12/12/98

Source: DSBD
Lineage: DAT > WT2496 > CDWave > FLAC

Disk 1, Set 1:
1. Intro
2. MLT,
3. Missin' Me >
4. Sittin' on Top of the World,
5. Sand Dollar,
6. Born on the Wrong Planet,
7. Blue Bossa >
8. Smile >
9. Drums

Disk 2, Set 2:
1. Intro
2. Best Feeling¹,
3. San Jose²*,
4. Miss Brown's Teahouse,
5. Good Times Around the Bend,
6. Deep Elem Blues,

Disk 3, Set 2:
1. Little Hands >
2. So What >
3. Jam^ >
4. Black Clouds

Disk 4, Encores:
1. Elvis' Wild Ride,
2. Aiko Aiko³,
3. Texas

Guests:
¹ with Keller Williams, without Nershi
² with Keller Williams
³ with Vince Welnick on keyboards

Notes:
* with You Can Call Me Al verses
^ with Riders on the Storm teases

There were some long segues in the second set, forcing me to break the show into 4 CDs. You may want to adjust the breaks to fit it on to 3 CDs.
That said, it would probably be no big deal to use this file as a start to simply generate a list of songs so the file would simply be:
1. Intro
2. MLT,
3. Missin' Me >
4. Sittin' on Top of the World,
5. Sand Dollar,
6. Born on the Wrong Planet,
7. Blue Bossa >
8. Smile >
9. Drums
10. Intro
11. Best Feeling¹,
12. San Jose²*,

...etc.
It would certainly be easier to do the deleting and renumbering (probably using Word) than to type in all the song names usnig the tag editor. Note that the song names don't usually have commas after them; it's just a legacy from the original place I got the data that I never fixed.

Thanks for the help!
ResumeMan

Post by ResumeMan »

Thinking on this a little more, it would also be easy enough to import the text file into Excel, if that would be easier for MM to communicate with...
ResumeMan

Post by ResumeMan »

I don't know if anyone had any interest in working on something like this. But if so, you might check out this utility which does exactly what I was talking about.

It works great, though i would be killer if it was integrated directly into MM.

The program's open source, so the source code might provide some assistance.

Thanks!
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

I used mp3Tag for that, but I wanted to include in in MM to.

Here is the Script:

How you use it:
a. Create a File TagsFromTagList.vbs in MediaMonkey\Scripts\Auto and paste the code.
b. Restart MM

1. Sort the Tracks you want to tag in the right order (as they are listed in the text file).
2. Select them
3. Tools > Auto-Tag from Tag-List
4. Choose/Enter the Filename of the Tag-List
5. Enter the Mask like it is organized in the Tag-List (for example "<Track#>. <Title>"). You can also use "<Tabulator>" or "<Return>" for tabulator and line feed.
6. Hit OK and check at the MainTrackWindow if everything is correct.

Take care that the lines in the tag-list must be a multiple of the lines in the mask. Empty lines at the bottom of the tag-List should be deleted.

That's it.
I hope it workes for you guys too.

Code: Select all

New Code below
Have fun!
Last edited by onkel_enno on Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for creating this, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately I'm getting an error. I created a file that had just the filenames as "1. songname". I selected the tracks and opened the dialog. It requested a filename, and after I selected the file, an error popped up:
Error #438 Object doesn't support this property or method: 'SDB.Tools.Mask2UFText'
File (script name) Line 55 Column 3
Any thoughts?
ResumeMan

Post by ResumeMan »

Ack, that was me above.

To clarify, it never got to the point of asking me for a mask.
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

SDB.Tools.Mask2UFText was included in MM 2.5.3 first. Download the latest version and it should work.
ResumeMan

Post by ResumeMan »

That did it, thanks :) I had no idea I wasn't running the latest.

Thanks for the help, I was hoping MM would be able to do this...
strobrid

Post by strobrid »

hi there. i was hoping to use this tool to import tag information from a text file as well. i followed your instructions above, installed 2.5.3 and pasted the following into my ini file, but i'm not seeing a menu item called "auto tag from tag list". am i doing something wrong?

thanks,
dan

[TagsFromTagList]
FileName=TagsFromTagList.vbs
ProcName=TagsFromTagList
Order=22
DisplayName=Tags from Tag List
Description=Tags from Tag List
Language=VBScript
ScriptType=2