Import tag info (track titles) from .txt files?

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Rednroll

Re: Import tag info (track titles) from .txt files?

Post by Rednroll »

For those of you trying to export from Excel as a Unicode Text File. Like others I tried this and kept getting the mismatch of lines. What I ended up doing was modifying the script so that I could view the actual values of the variables. My Txt file when I opened it up in Notepad showed it had 1000 Lines. I had 1000 tracks selected.

This is the code that catches the mismatch:

Code: Select all

If Tracks.Count <> Int(TagListLines / MaskLines) Then
             SDB.MessageBox "Number of Lines in Tag-List and Track-List doesn't fit!", mtError, Array(mbOK)
Here's what the values showed:
Tracks.Count= 1000
TagListLines= 308 (Should be 1000 according to note pad)
MaskLines= 1

What fixed it was that I opened the TXT file in Notepad++ and selected "Encode in ANSI", then re-saved it as a TXT file. So it seems like the TXT file has to be encoded in the ANSI format, otherwise the line count comes up wrong.

After Encoding TXT file in ANSI:
Tracks.Count= 1000
TagListLines= 1000
MaskLines= 1
nondescriptwhiteboy

Post by nondescriptwhiteboy »

This script very nearly works for me. Unfortunately, no matter if my .txt file includes track numbers or not, my files are always retagged with the titles in alphabetical order, not in the order of the lines of my .txt file.

In other words, what should be tagged as:
File 01 > Title: Casjdkfl;asdf Track #: 1
File 02 > Title: Asdjfkla;sdfa Track #: 2
File 03 > Title: Basjdkfla;sdf Track #: 3

Instead always gets tagged as:
File 01 > Title: Asdjfkla;sdfa Track #: 2
File 02 > Title: Basjdkfla;sdf Track #: 3
File 03 > Title: Casjdkfl;asdf Track #: 1
My .txt file has the Titles and Track #'s in order, and in Mediamonkey, my files are sorted to their appropriate track order.

Help!
popsmike

Track Tagging from a Text File

Post by popsmike »

I was looking for online information today for a new album but the only place which had anything was Amazon, I decided to copy the list to a text document and think about typing it all in a bit later in the day.

I then thought I would look for something to maybe tag the said files and Mp3tag came up with the way of importing from a formated text file.

Anyways I was wondering if this could be added to monkey as this is a recurrence with new albums only just released.

Heres Hoping!!

Mike
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Windows 10 Pro x64 2TB USB3 External Hdd with Quad Core 3600Mhz CPU and 10GB Ram
MM 4.1.21.1871 Portable on External Hdd
TESTING MM 5.0.0.2113
Numerous Addons
User Since 2006 (Lifetime License) since 2012
popsmike

Post by popsmike »

Thanks Lowlander I missed that. :D
Windows 10 Pro x64 2TB USB3 External Hdd with Quad Core 3600Mhz CPU and 10GB Ram
MM 4.1.21.1871 Portable on External Hdd
TESTING MM 5.0.0.2113
Numerous Addons
User Since 2006 (Lifetime License) since 2012
rvonder

Auto-tag from filename *or* external file?

Post by rvonder »

I've seen forum posts going back as much as 10-15 years requesting a way to import tag info from an external text file -- but unless I've missed it, I have yet to see an 'out of the box' add-on for this. One reason is that it would be fairly complex to write an add-on flexible enough to parse the almost-infinite ways an external file might be formatted. But it would certainly be useful when the only alternative is to pull up a page of album/track info from some random website and use it to enter all of the tags manually. There's nothing much more frustrating in 2020 than having to manually retype a lot of data that's already in digital form! (Especially true with Amazon, which used to allow us to auto-tag directly from its album data...)

I bring this up because today I was using MM's nice built-in "auto-tag from filename" capability and got to thinking: That feature is almost exactly what's needed! The hard stuff is already coded and works perfectly, such as the filename parser, the UI needed to specify the exact format of the filename and location of the tag fields within it, and even the viewer to verify the proposed tag values before accepting them. The only new code required would appear to be a way to point the parser at a line from an external file vs. the track's own filename - beyond that, everything else would be the same. To make things easy, we could require that the external file contain the same number of lines as the number of highlighted tracks, and that those lines be in the same order as the tracks. The only UI changes would be a radio button to choose 'data from external file' or 'data from filenames', and a text field to enter the path/filename of the external file.

Think of how powerful this would be: We'd be able to tag an album by copying track info from places like AllMusic.com, Amazon.com, or even the record publisher's own website, and then simply pasting that data into a text file. (In fact, I find that downloaded albums are often accompanied by 'info' or 'cue' text files containing the needed track data.) Using an external file would be quick and easy; avoids manual re-entry of online data; and allows track data from virtually any website (and in any format) to be used for auto-tagging.

I'm putting this in the 'wishlist' forum as a suggestion vs. requesting it as an add-on, because it appears to be a fairly simple extension of an existing feature that would provide a ton of additional tagging capability. Much better than a complex add-on, since the necessary data parser already exists within MM and works perfectly. Thoughts?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Further improvements in that area with MM5 are planned for later versions (already in working) as currently main focus is to have it stable, most feature accurate to MM4 and build on that.

I personally miss that for TV series, movies and video files in general where XML and NFO files contain much more information than paths+filenames and also faster than Auto Tag.

Keep monitoring, hopefully "SOON" there will be more info on that.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts